Kayak experience ....

Volusian

How many here would admit to actually using a sit on kayak for fishing without any prior actual kayaking experience ??

Being a grade 3 kayaker myself for over 3 years now i still attend club training every week .... this experience makes me feel at home and safer on a fishing yak from day one.

There is an awful lot to learn about kayaking and without doubt people doing yak fishing should get some hands on kayak experience if they intend to paddle out in deep water.

One can easily get into difficulties on open water as im sure you know and without experience this can at best be very dangerous.

So for those who have little or no expereince my advice would be to go out and get it ... theres plenty of clubs about.

just a thought ..! ... oh and all the best and keep safe .. :sun:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many here would admit to actually using a sit on kayak for fishing without any prior actual kayaking experience ??

Yep! that's me. About thirty five years since I sat in a canoe and I mean IN not ON :huh:

At least now I'll know who to stick close to in case of difficulties. :D

Regards, Clive

Some basic support stroke training at a local club will go a long way when out paddling ... i realise these fishing type kayaks are a little harder to turn over but turn over they can ... :( ...

Once support strokes are learnt with the paddle it makes tipping a lot less likely ...

well worth a look on this site ... http://www.bcu.org.uk/bcu/2-disciplines.aspx

and me :bye2:

And me :o

and about 75% of other yak fishers out there i should imagine :huh:

Kayaks:

Scupper Pro TW (yellow)

Prowler 13 angler (green)

And me :o

and about 75% of other yak fishers out there i should imagine :huh:

and me last time in a canoe before the yak was when i was 15. but i do feel a lot safer in a yak . living on a island helps too been around boats most of my life . know to respect the sea when things get rough ,better to leave till another day.do not take chances and carry safety gear .

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Im with you too. :thumbs:

Same as Nicepix, it must be near thirty years ago since I paddled a sit inside Kayak or Canoe.

On a personal note, after paddling a sit inside, I found the SOTs to be more stable, easier to use,( Depending on model ) with no complicated rolls to perform.

With the SOTs, you just fall in and climb back on again, I dont mean that to sound so easy, it still requires practice to become competant.

The down side is,your not warm and dry inside the hull, and if you tip, its not just a head rinse, but a full blown bath.

If think seamanship skills, common sense-and a very healthy respect for the Sea and her moods are as important.

Without these, all the paddling skills in the world wont help you.

Being honest with yourself, and knowing your personal limitations, and fitness levels is a must too, and not being afraid to share that information with others.

Couldnt agree more with you " Volusian " Lessons would be a huge asset to a complete novice.

Good post.

Bill :)

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.