Anglers Should Be Licensed And their Catches Restricted.

glennk

Guest challenge
. :sun:

Are you sure john.

We (the same as you Paul) charge per hour our anglers are aboard the boat i.e. angling hours.

Our days have 24 hours in them and it’s not very often we have less than 12 anglers aboard. :) Hence one day will equal 288 angling hours.

You know the amount of time we put in during the season Paul.

But if there is someone who gets more angling hours in, I take my hat of to them.

regards.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think price per hour is is not far off..they I think are the same ..but you get B&B and lovely food on the 18hr plus trips.,..we are doing a cat/brochure for 2007..if any of you want one please email...grahamdaniels@tiscali.co.uk or info@codmasteranglingsupplies.co.uk...thanks

I think price per hour is is not far off..they I think are the same ..but you get B&B and lovely food on the 18hr plus trips.,..we are doing a cat/brochure for 2007..if any of you want one please email...grahamdaniels@tiscali.co.uk or info@codmasteranglingsupplies.co.uk...thanks

Graham word of mouth is better than any brochure but good luck with your quest.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge
:busted_cop::busted_cop::offtopic:

Off topic? What topic? An article taken from the Whitby gazette? :lol::lol:

You’re not an administrator on this forum. :(

Seeing as Paul brought up the subject of angling hours by asking a question, I believe somebody or body’s should be allowed to answer them regarding to how off topic it means going.

Especially as at the start of this thread all you did was post a comment from a newspaper, without any input yourself.

So how you can expect a comment less thread to stay on topic, as you call it, is beyond me :thumbs:

Hello Leon

That the cod are moving due to global warming is a misconception.

No it is not!

Hello Jim Roper

An examination of fish landings in the post war era will reveal that

this is not the first time cod stocks have been very low. But this is the first time this

phenomenon has been attributed to fishermen. The marine ecosystem is infinitely more

complex than current fish modelling scenarios can accommodate. The range of assumptions inherent in current fish population assessments is so great than to call it a science contradicts the definition of science.......................

There is, however, considerable anecdotal evidence that catch rates have actually increased thereby

rendering invalid the proposition that the TACs have had to be reduced...............................

There is a growing body of evidence to suggest that the failure of cod recruitment not only in the North Sea but on the Grand Banks has more to do with environmental factors than overfishing..................

And it is not only the marine environment that affects the successful regeneration of a

stock. Man is not the only predator of fish. It can be no coincidence that the areas in

which cod regeneration has gone into decline are also the areas that have seen the most

rapid growth in seal populations. With the seal population on the eastern Canadian

seaboard now standing at an estimated 7 million it is not surprising that cod stocks have

not recovered after an effective ban on cod fishing for the past 10 years. In the North

Sea there is no serious scientific dissention to the fact that the resident seal population

now consumes more fish per annum than the fishing industry catches. But the

prognosis remains the same – leave the seals and stop the fishermen.........................

Read it all here:

http://www.royalsoced.org.uk/enquiries/sco...dence/SFPO1.pdf

It makes more sense for cyclists to be insured against third party claims!

That link is one of the best bits of sence I've read for a long time.

Hello FishinsFine

This is a view/political input from the Scottish Fishermen's Organisation Limited. No surprises there. We have heard all this before but seen very little scientific evidence to back up the claims. 7 mill. seals (in 2002 I suppose) and how many previous years? The trend? What do they eat and how much of it - figures?

At the last North Sea RAC meeting I attended, the scientists were saying that seals eat a lot of 0 group codlings.

Still I agree with you, I doubt they have much effect on overall cod stocks, but then nor do commercial fishermen, especially with the fleet as it is know.

To get back on thread, who said licenses for anglers had any thing what so ever to do with rebuilding cod stocks?

Morning Carl.

You’re wasting your time Carl; they simply won’t believe what you’re saying. They simply don’t believe that thousands of anglers a year can be right and they can be wrong.

They don’t believe that somebody (who has spent his working life at sea) can actually work out a problem and then buy a boat (that is capable) and develop a management system that will prove successful in providing his anglers with fish.

They won’t believe you Carl if you are to tell them that you steam thousands of miles around the North Sea and very rarely come across a British commercial fishing boat.

They won’t believe you Carl if you say that after fishing through the hay days of cod fishing from Whitby (as you did) you still find this method of fishing and the results the best you have had.

They don’t believe you Carl because it goes against everything they try and preach.

They don’t believe you Carl because it proves them to be wrong.

So what do they do Carl? Firstly they accuse you of being a fake. Then they say you are stupid and talk rubbish and hit you with a load of science to back there case.

If I was you Carl, I would just carry on fishing while you can.

They simply don’t get it Carl. They simply don’t get the fact that there are thousands of anglers out there who are very happy with the way things are.

These anglers are so happy that they keep on paying the money and returning year after year.

We put more sea angling hours in at sea than any other boat in the country. Do you think that’s because they where right all along Carl? While we where wrong?

Regards.

Hello Challenge

I know exactly what you mean

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Leon

That the cod are moving due to global warming is a misconception.

No it is not!

Hi Wurzel,

If you read correctly, what I was saying is that the cod themselves haven't moved, but their distribution has, which is very different.

OK you find more cod to the North now, but it isn't because cod in the South have upped sticks and swum North, it's just that the cod in the North Sea haven't been doing so well as those to the North, and so have declined, whereas those that live to the North have done better.

That gives the impression that the cod have moved, but no individual cod have actually relocated.

But since you raise the point (Iguess) that the change in distribution is because of global warming, this was in a scientific assesment sent to me recently:

The distribution of cod within the North Sea complex has

changed. The centre of distribution has moved north (Hedger

et al., 2004; Perry et al., 2005). This has been attributed to

effects of seawater warming on the North Sea cod as an entity.

However, the changes may also be associated with the

different sub-population responses to both warming and differing

spatial fishing pressures.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi Wurzel,

If you read correctly, what I was saying is that the cod themselves haven't moved, but their distribution has, which is very different.

OK you find more cod to the North now, but it isn't because cod in the South have upped sticks and swum North, it's just that the cod in the North Sea haven't been doing so well as those to the North, and so have declined, whereas those that live to the North have done better.

That gives the impression that the cod have moved, but no individual cod have actually relocated.

But since you raise the point (Iguess) that the change in distribution is because of global warming, this was in a scientific assesment sent to me recently:

I would add that there is now research saying the southern north sea is still capable of having a cod population. Its just the the commercial fishermen have taken them away.

Hi Wurzel,

Morning Leon

However, the changes may also be associated with the

different sub-population responses to both warming and differing

spatial fishing pressures.

They have to include fishing pressure, it covers their areses.

Despite all the scientific jargon, I know that if we get a prolonged cold snap especially if it is accompanied by north winds, we get more and bigger cod show up in this area.

I am sure that in the future Scientists will be more sure of their facts and will miss out the fishing pressures bit from their papers.

I suppose they will have to eliminate fishermen from the equation first.

You are correct when you say local southern stocks aren't doing as well, including the South West stock, I have not seen any reports that this stock is doing better than any other.

I have mentioned it before, a lot of cod we are catching are not well, I have been taking a closer look at the cods guts lately, over 40% codlings and 99% of the larger cod we have caught this last month would not have survived to become full grown or even adult fish.

Could that be the 40% of unaccountable fish ICES can't find?

I fish to live and live to fish.