Anglers Should Be Licensed And their Catches Restricted.

glennk

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest challenge
Maybe one day you'll realise that fighting the anglers corner might be more profitable for you and the charter boat sector. <_<

So are you saying that not wanting bag limits and rod licences is “not fighting the anglers corner” then?

Do you believe that in sympathising with the bad management and bureaucracy that commercials have had to put up with over the years (and not wanting the same to be put on the recreational sector) means that I am fighting the wrong corner?

Maybe in a bureaucratically boxing arena it would be better if we where all to come out of the same corner fighting? But then again the bureaucratic rule makers would have to change the rules in order to make it a profitable spectators sport.

Regards.

................snipped

In my opinion, as fishing licences now have little ‘control’ value, the fishing licence should be more like a permit which should be granted to anyone for a nominal charge each year. Fishing itself should be regulated by quota. That way, commercial fishermen would be able to fish in a vessel which is suitable for the job they intend to do, rather than in a substandard ‘rule beating vessel’ which may be inadequate for the job or even potentially unsafe. I know from personal experience that it is far more comfortable and much safer to do the work that I am doing with a boat that is completely on top of the job, rather than in a boat that falls within MCA criteria but is really unsuitable.

A fine example of the permit system is in New Zealand. A commercial fishing licence is available to anyone whether they have a speed boat on a trailer or a hundred foot seiner, but unless you have quota you cannot catch fish commercially. If you hold quota, when you have used up your entitlement, it then becomes illegal for you to fish. (A bit like the crab boats on “The Deadliest Catch” television series.)

...............snipped (our) government hasn’t got the balls to enforce rules.

JB

JB - the thing I'd like to see most would be a great decrease in bycatch and discarding, whether it's because of species, quota, size, upgrading or whatever - in a permit situation, what from of quota do you think would work best to support that - days at sea / species specific / total catch weight / whatever ?

As for the government, couldn't agree more. I was watching the news the other night and there was a bit on people using mobile phones in cars - seeing as most people seem to ignore the law based on the fact that there are few people done for it and it's only a small fixed penalty if they do - so rather than really crack down on it, they are going to make it £60 and 3 points, in the belief that that will stop people.

Laws made should be enforced, or not made in the first place.

JB - the thing I'd like to see most would be a great decrease in bycatch and discarding, whether it's because of species, quota, size, upgrading or whatever - in a permit situation, what from of quota do you think would work best to support that - days at sea / species specific / total catch weight / whatever ?

As for the government, couldn't agree more. I was watching the news the other night and there was a bit on people using mobile phones in cars - seeing as most people seem to ignore the law based on the fact that there are few people done for it and it's only a small fixed penalty if they do - so rather than really crack down on it, they are going to make it £60 and 3 points, in the belief that that will stop people.

Laws made should be enforced, or not made in the first place.

No method of fishing can be totally species-specific but there is the technology available to vastly reduce by-catch and discards. Some of the younger trawler men I know are already voluntarily working towards this goal. In my opinion, instead of our government sponsoring scientific reports that they then seem to ignore, the money would be far better spent on research and development into improving modern fishing methods appertaining to by-catch and discards. Then our government should be encouraging, persuading and, if necessary, forcing these methods of catching on to our commercial fishing fleet - even if it means giving them large grants for new fishing gear.

I have been out of the job for quite some time now. However, from what I see and hear about it from friends who are still directly involved, I believe our commercial fishing industry is in a constant state of turmoil. No-one knows what is happening, or whether they are coming or going. Many are reluctant to invest. The industry is greatly in need of stability. If I were still in the industry, I would be in favour of sensibly-set quotas and the ability to catch my quota, in my own timescale, in a safe vessel of my choice, using an approved method. Once my quota was used up, my vessel would be tied up as far as commercial fishing was concerned.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

What’s wrong Ian could you not understand my reply to his question? So you only quoted his question?

Challenge

I didn't bother answering it because we are miles apart in ideology. I believe the only way the seas can be restored is to put the fish stocks needs before the fishermen's needs. The cfp keeps whittling away a few per cent each year, days at sea reduced, net size increases but has it managed to achieve anything?

Whereas you seem to believe the fishermen have a devine right to the fish in the sea and to hell with the stocks. There is no middle ground.

If harsh decision had been made 20 years ago when the warnings first came in about stock collapses then I am convinced the commercials would have a viable sustainable Industry by now and there would be plenty of fish for both commercials and RSA. I am not talking of charter boats travelling miles to fishing grounds but the majority of anglers who fish of the beaches and rock marks. They haven't seen this supposed regeneration of the cod, when they do I will believe it is happening.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Challenge

I didn't bother answering it because we are miles apart in ideology. I believe the only way the seas can be restored is to put the fish stocks needs before the fishermen's needs. The cfp keeps whittling away a few per cent each year, days at sea reduced, net size increases but has it managed to achieve anything?

Whereas you seem to believe the fishermen have a devine right to the fish in the sea and to hell with the stocks. There is no middle ground.

If harsh decision had been made 20 years ago when the warnings first came in about stock collapses then I am convinced the commercials would have a viable sustainable Industry by now and there would be plenty of fish for both commercials and RSA. I am not talking of charter boats travelling miles to fishing grounds but the majority of anglers who fish of the beaches and rock marks. They haven't seen this supposed regeneration of the cod, when they do I will believe it is happening.

If harsh decision had been made 20 years ago when the warnings first came in about stock collapses

WHAT!!!!

if this would have been implemented , do you think that you would still be in business?

Anyway i don't know what everyone is shouting about, JB always finds the fish!!!

Are the rest of you looking in the right place?????

As far as i'm concerned JB's the man to watch!!

If cod are dropping off at a such a rate as the (EXPERTS???? hmmmmm) say , then why aren't other fish that feed off them , and cod feed on flourishing and dropping off at the same rate?

Idiots sat on their arses i say, Get out there and give it a go!!!

The fish and chip shops / supermarkets aren't pleading poverty are they?

Stop moaning and get on with it

There's plenty more fish in the sea :fish::fishing::fishing1:

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Hi Ian,

IMO the anglers on the beaches are seeing signs of something mate at least on the north east coast. We've seen catches in our club this year that we haven't seen for a long time. Only the weather is stopping us seeing some great fishing. 10 codling in 3 hours for one chap and then 8 in 3 hours next time out. Reports from Holderness saying the place is alive with Codling. Same from the Tyne. Nigel has said a few times he thinks we have a slight recovery around here - he's catching the things himself..

HOWEVER what we are seeing is a strong year class from Spring 2005. A lot of codlings in the 1-2 pounds bracket. These fish cant spawn and don't make for a better future. They just exist in large numbers. Its what we do with them that counts - It all depends how many get to maturity. If the Breeding stock biomass increases then we are in business as there is more fish to reproduce the future generations. Next year, Fingers crossed we should see another good year class spawned in spring of this year (I've already caught quite a few about 4 inch long - RETURNED ALIVE AND WELL - as anglers look after their future). These fish were spawned in the coldest spring for quite some time with sea temps back to average levels.

So thats 2 good year classes. I believe this spring might not see such a good year class so lets hope all these tids from 2005 and 2006 make it to maturity rather than onto the bank balance of Mr Locker.