Viney's Homemade Centerpin

viney

Matt, this is a pic of perhaps the simplest ratchet mechanism and the one I’d go for if I were making a reel. It has two advantages, firstly there’s no need for complicated pivoting design to make sure the lever (or button) stays in the ‘on’ or ‘off’ position and secondly the symmetrical design allows the reel to be left or right hand wind with the ratchet button staying in the same position. The ratchet is also the same strength whichever way the reel is turned;

DSCN0456_zpsbw23rthd.jpg

DSCN0453_zpsimgeakqs.jpg

This is Allcocks more complex method;

IMG_3560_zpsuytnh4au.jpg

The pic below shows a general arrangement of a traditional drum retaining mechanism (background) and the drag mechanism (foreground). This is a Match Aerial but Lythe, Carter, Mills & J W Young all use the same method. There’s some very clever and precise machining needed for this, the little fork which holds the drum on mustn’t touch any part of the spindle when the reel is held the right way up, it only does its job when the reel is upside down. Good luck with that bit!

IMG_3572_zpskbau6kjp.jpg

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thanks Chris, the release mechanisms makes a bit more sense in my head now! I've got as far as roughing the general outside and inside diameters of the spool, was going to make the spool solid but I've still got the option at this point to have line lays instead.

Got a goal of running a float down the Thames or Kennet with it on the 16th, think I've got my work cut out with family life and a heavy workload to work around! Missed out on a Hardy float rod still with tags for £112 yesterday but got my eye on a couple of normarks that are still in reasonable money :)

• Like 1

http://www.basingengineering.co.uk/

Instagram: mrmjv88

Let's see some pictures then Viney!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Matt good luck with it any thoughts of knocking up more if it works out?? hope Esme isn't to bad m,ate at least they have all had it in one go

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Will post some pictures when I do a bit more work on it, at the moment it's just a lump of Ali roughly the size of a centerpin lol!

Cheers Steve, the thought has crossed my mind Will have to keep track of the time it takes and what material would cost to see if it's viable, hoping to move next year and one of my requirements will be a garage big enough for a lathe and possibly a mill :)

She's up and down at the moment, got a nasty fever but no spots yet, I know the words to peppa pig off by heart now after it being on repeat for two days so far!

• Like 1

If you make all components as one-offs you'll be surprised at the time it takes....hence the cost if you consider selling them!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

one of my requirements will be a garage big enough for a lathe and possibly a mill

Before anyone lashes out on a lathe and/or a mill, I will shortly be getting rid of my Myford ML7-R and my BCA jig borer. - and I have a lot of accessories for both (four jaw chuck and the like). All items are in very good nick.

My days of making steam locomotives are over and I have no more use for them.

I would let them go at a reasonable discount to a good home (ie someone who will use them to make centrepins !) So if any of you are seriously thinking of investing in machinery, send me a pm

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Some more pics for you Viney!

2 of my Witchers have the same arrangement as Rusty's (one of them is the same reel!) This one is another of Paul's masterpieces - an Avon Elite.

PW%20Pin_zpsavzgqdwi.jpg

A Youngs Purist.

Purist_zpsqng4jebn.jpg

Chris Lythe

CLPin_zpszjg01ehb.jpg

Richard Carter Aerial Perfection

RCPin_zps8il5rvyn.jpg

And finally an Anglersnet pin.

ANPin_zps5ugjlvcy.jpg

If you fancy seeing any of them 'in the flesh' including the other Witchers - give me a shout.

Regards

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Before anyone lashes out on a lathe and/or a mill, I will shortly be getting rid of my Myford ML7-R and my BCA jig borer. - and I have a lot of accessories for both (four jaw chuck and the like). All items are in very good nick.

My days of making steam locomotives are over and I have no more use for them.

I would let them go at a reasonable discount to a good home (ie someone who will use them to make centrepwins !) So if any of you are seriously thinking of investing in machinery, send me a pm

Not in a position right now with space but if they are still available when I am then I would be very intrested :)

Some more pics for you Viney!2 of my Witchers have the same arrangement as Rusty's (one of them is the same reel!) This one is another of Paul's masterpieces - an Avon Elite.PW%20Pin_zpsavzgqdwi.jpgA Youngs Purist.Purist_zpsqng4jebn.jpgChris LytheCLPin_zpszjg01ehb.jpgRichard Carter Aerial PerfectionRCPin_zps8il5rvyn.jpgAnd finally an Anglersnet pin.ANPin_zps5ugjlvcy.jpgIf you fancy seeing any of them 'in the flesh' including the other Witchers - give me a shout.RegardsChris

Thanks Chris, I will have to take you up on that offer I think when I come to starting the hub just to get everything 100% in my head