Sea Fisheries Committees

steve good

There was an independent report produced that had some interesting results:

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Po...Criticised.html

Interesting too that DEFRA are now talking abour 'transforming' SFC's rather than 'modernising' them.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And where is all the commercial influence among the committee members then glen?

• Committee Members

DEFRA (Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs)

 Mr. G. Collins

 Mr. S. Cowan

 Mr. M.J. Emmerson

 Mr. D. Heselton, M.B.E.

 Mr. J. Johnson

 Mr. J.W.H. Linstead

 Mr. N.V. Proctor

 Mr. J. Reeveley

 Mr. T.W. Smith

 Mr George Traves, M.B.E.

 Mr. J. Whitton

 Mr. D. Ballington

 Mr. G. Hodgson

 Mr. P. Huteson

 Mr. S.J. Norton

 Mr. F. Powell

 Dr. S. Stead

DURHAM COUNTY COUNCIL

 Councillor R. Meir

EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE COUNCIL

 Councillor M. Chapman, M.B.E.

 Councillor D. Grange

 Councillor E. McCobb

 Councillor J. Wilkinson

ENVIRONMENTAL AGENCY

 Mr. S. Bailey

HARTLEPOOL DISTRICT COUNCIL

KINGSTON UPON HULL CITY COUNCIL

 Councillor P. Allen

 Councillor A. Sloan

LINCOLNSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

 Councillor Mrs. J. Johnson

NORTH EAST LINCOLNSHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL

 Councillor J. Colebrook

 Councillor L. Pidgen

NORTH LINCOLNSHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL

 Councillor A. Holgate

NORTH YORKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

 Councillor M. Andrew

 Councillor G. Cullern

 Councillor J. Backhouse

 Councillor R. Broadley

REDCAR AND CLEVELAND BOROUGH COUNCIL

 Councillor G. Jeffery

SOUTH TYNESIDE METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL

 Councillor A.C. Meeks

SUNDERLAND CITY COUNCIL

 Councillor R.A. Bell

Hi John,

Would you like me to place a tick against which councillours I think are in the back pocket of the commercial fishing industries fat cats ? Which are biased towards commercial interests ? Their solicitor would have a field day. Nic try though. I wont be mentioning anyone by name. Except the Broadley one, what a flaming bad bugger he is.

Nice try John - If your really interested in this subject their is some info about the beliefs in some quarters that these committees are commercially biased. An american researcher wrote something on it earlier this year.

Guest challenge
Hi John,

Would you like me to place a tick against which councillours I think are in the back pocket of the commercial fishing industries fat cats ? Which are biased towards commercial interests ? Their solicitor would have a field day. Nic try though. I wont be mentioning anyone by name. Except the Broadley one, what a flaming bad bugger he is.

Nice try John - If your really interested in this subject their is some info about the beliefs in some quarters that these committees are commercially biased. An american researcher wrote something on it earlier this year.

Am not trying to put you in any discriminating situation glen. I just don’t see where there is any commercial influence among the names listed?

If you do have evidence to back up your assumption of some kind of insider dealing then I would be interested to know your sources.

If on the other hand you just think that there is to much commercial influence within the committee then I can only assume that you know more about the committee than I do.

Regards.

Hi All

Do Sea Fisheries Committees do a worth while job or not??? or are they just a burden on our council tax, just a job for the boys.

Whats your veiw.

Regards Steve

Hi steve

They do an impeccable job for the commercial fishermen (not surprising as they are run by them as we all know) but very very little for the rsa in general, they are far to one sided and think only about the commercial side of things and until this imbalance is corrected? they are definitely not fit for purpose and are a wasteful burden on council tax payers, imo...............

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Hi John,

I did a little digging on the local committee. I found this. Apparently there is also a vacent position on the committe so anyone wanting to margenalise anglers further may apply.

Mr. G. Collins Tackle shop owner/dealer (Ex commercial fisherman)

Mr. S. Cowan Fisherman (Chairman of B&FFS)

Mr. M.J. Emmerson Fisherman (Flamborough)

Mr. D. Heselton, M.B.E. Salmon Fisherman (North Shields)

Mr. J. Johnson Fisherman

Mr. J.W.H. Linstead Fishing PO

Mr. N.V. Proctor Marine Scientist & Angler

Mr. J. Reeveley Fisherman (Resigned from Committee)

Mr. T.W. Smith Fisherman

Mr George Traves, M.B.E. Salmon netter & Fishing boat owner (former chair of B&FFS)

Mr. J. Whitton Shell fisherman & Charter vessel

Mr. D. Ballington Fisherman

Mr. G. Hodgson Fisherman

Mr. P. Huteson Fisherman

Mr. S.J. Norton Fish wholesaler

Mr. F. Powell Fisherman

Dr. S. Stead Marine Scientist

Pretty much typical of SFC's around the country. The councillors, due to lack of knowledge in most cases, have been listening to the commercial argument for years and years. (There hasn't been anyone elses point of view until very recently) It has become ingrained in them and most of them are now totally biased towards commercial fishermen, whether they realise it or not. The fishery comes second.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Guest challenge
Hi John,

I did a little digging on the local committee. I found this. Apparently there is also a vacent position on the committe so anyone wanting to margenalise anglers further may apply.

Mr. G. Collins Tackle shop owner/dealer (Ex commercial fisherman)

Mr. S. Cowan Fisherman (Chairman of B&FFS)

Mr. M.J. Emmerson Fisherman (Flamborough)

Mr. D. Heselton, M.B.E. Salmon Fisherman (North Shields)

Mr. J. Johnson Fisherman

Mr. J.W.H. Linstead Fishing PO

Mr. N.V. Proctor Marine Scientist & Angler

Mr. J. Reeveley Fisherman (Resigned from Committee)

Mr. T.W. Smith Fisherman

Mr George Traves, M.B.E. Salmon netter & Fishing boat owner (former chair of B&FFS)

Mr. J. Whitton Shell fisherman & Charter vessel

Mr. D. Ballington Fisherman

Mr. G. Hodgson Fisherman

Mr. P. Huteson Fisherman

Mr. S.J. Norton Fish wholesaler

Mr. F. Powell Fisherman

Dr. S. Stead Marine Scientist

Thanks for that glen.

16 out of 36 members, your correct there is a sizeable (possibility) of commercial bias.

Still you could swing it in favour of recreational interests if you where to get yourself elected on to the committee.

Regards.

There was an independent report produced that had some interesting results:

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Conservation-and-Po...Criticised.html

Interesting too that DEFRA are now talking abour 'transforming' SFC's rather than 'modernising' them.

Im curious about the "independent" bit Leon. Prof. Eagle has an impressive CV but why was an American environmental lawyer chosen to examine systems on this side of the pond? Given we have Scandinavian neighbours, with similar fisheries to us, and apparntly making a much better fist of fisheries management than us, why was this guy brought in and not a Norwegian for instance?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

I see that past funding has been from powerful sponsers:

e.g

http://www.packard.org/categoryList.aspx?R...p;CategoryID=45

As of December 31, 2005, our total investment portfolio, including donor stock, totaled approximately $5.8 billion. General program grant awards for 2005 totaled approximately $214 million. The Foundation has a grantmaking budget of approximately $230 million for 2006.

At least the SFC are democratic and if you don't like them you can vote to change your council.

The commercials get slated for their "lobbying power" but when you look at the cash sloshing around Americas "pressure groups" it starts to look awfully small.

Any idea why this guy was picked to do that job?

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net