Inshore Windfarms

Moonyaker

After they have settled in it seems to me that windfarms will offer huge kayakfishing potential. Structures are great fish attractors but present dangers for larger craft but mooring opportunities for us. These new super windfarms that have been confirmed over the last couple of days are just over an hours paddle offshore and once the development area has settled it seems to me that they could become Kayak fishing Mecca's (so to speak).

I think that windfarms generally fit well with the jade coloured ethos that seems to run through this forum but perhaps there is an alternative perspective that I have overlooked.

Moonyaker

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If facing the right way, could mean an easy paddle back, propeller assisted :D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hate to pee on your parade, but it's unlikely you'll be allowed anywhere near them on your planks. There's plenty of evidence around that suggests the electricity, vibrations and noise are detrimental to marine life too.

Take your point about access. Given that no fishing will be taking place in the area of the farms they will become real havens. Nature will adapt it always does given a chance. Apparantly they are going to slice all the migratory bids into chips. What a load of hogwash.

Suggest giving them a few years and then taking up a permanent anchorage just on the boundry edge of them. Happy Fishing.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

I hear where you are coming from Martin but I do not think that the electric fields surrounding the inlet and outlet cables will be sufficiently strong overall to outweigh the attraction of the structures. This is uncharted territory of course but it is my firm belief that the base of the turbine structures will attract sea-life rather than dispell it. These pylons will (in my opinion) become great places to fly fish from from a kayak and I am absolutely amazed that you have not realised this yet :rolleyes:

KAYAKS:

* OK Prowler 13 (Sunrise)

* OK Scupper Pro TW (Mango Flame)

Take your point about access. Given that no fishing will be taking place in the area of the farms they will become real havens. Nature will adapt it always does given a chance. Apparantly they are going to slice all the migratory bids into chips. What a load of hogwash.

Suggest giving them a few years and then taking up a permanent anchorage just on the boundry edge of them. Happy Fishing.

Maybe a bit off subject,But did anyone see the programme on TV a few months ago about white gold!!!

A bloke in America built a massive platform in the sea for Cormrants to perch on.In the evening 100000's of them would roost on the wooden Platforms.After about 4 or 5 months the bloke would go onto the platforms and shovel up all the s**t.(There was tons of the stuff)He would then sell it for compost and fertaliser.He is now a millionaire

zzippy2.gif

Hate to pee on your parade, but it's unlikely you'll be allowed anywhere near them on your planks. There's plenty of evidence around that suggests the electricity, vibrations and noise are detrimental to marine life too.

what noise do they make--is it a noise like the wind?

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

what noise do they make--is it a noise like the wind?

How come I still catch fish????With the sound of my wind travelling through my Kayak I would have thought every fish for miles would keep clear :headhurt:

zzippy2.gif

While it's possible they may become good habitats / protected havens for fish, there is an exclusion zone around them preventing any anchoring or fishing.

Fishing just outside this zone might be good,................ though i suspect every local trawler man will include it in his rounds............i probably won't bother with the one near me , it's situated 8.5 kms offshore.

Dave :rolleyes: