silver fish fishing

basshead07

hi all! for the past few weeks ive been buying floats and maggots and worms to fish for little carp and roach so my question is this what method bait and tips would you reccomend to me because i dont often do this i fish for carp with ledgers and things like that im looking to get a combined wheight not a big fish :) plz help!

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

I presume we are talking stillwaters.

Pole or whip are best. Try and get fish in close. They will come to feed and it makes it easier to put a big bag together.

Light lines and espescially fine wire hooks. I love my tubertini series 2 but kamasan b511's are as good and maybe easier to buy.

In a well stocked carp water that will be full of good roach you shouldn't have to go smaller than a 18 hook and its easier to bait up and take out of fish when things are going well.

Things are obviously a bit hard at moment but when the frosts are gone the most important thing to remember is feeding. You must keep putting small amounts of hook bait in. 6 casters or maggots every few minutes.

You can feed like this for an hour sometimes and then they are there and as long as you keep feeding the shoal will stay there. I hear so many people say they get them feeding and then they are gone. The reason for this is when you start catching you forget to feed. The fish then move on.

I do use small walnut sized grounbait balls and regularly feed them. I use a roach canal type bait. Canal type generally means very fine low feed. Look for a fine ground roach mix. Both sensas and van deneyde do them.

Hook baits for me are generally maggots, better still casters or sometimes bread punch.Some waters need a 24 hook and pinkies but generally well stocked stillwaters are ok with the above methods.

Its a subject that I could write a book about but the above is the basis of at least one bag up session every week this time of year for me. I love fishing for roach in the winter and some of these carp type lakes are full of roach and empty of carp anglesr this time of year. The only daft thing is some ban keepnets and you cannot fish for a bag of roach without one as its the bag and not the fish you are going for.

Balanced tackle is very important and when got right with the fine wire hooks if you happen to get a carp come along the hook will straighten and he will be gone rather than break you up leaving him with your hook in his mouth. In the early winter weeks I catch many carp when carp anglers are struggling.

good luck

john

Second all of that John....just like to add that plumbing can be crucial. Try to find the bottom of a slope, where it flattens out.

Fish accurately on this line, and be patient :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I agree with all of the above, but also, seek local knowledge. The winter roach fishing in one of my club waters is best executed with a waggler, at range, on top of a big pile of groundbait. The bailiff put me onto the need to fill it in, after my little-and-often strategy failed. Weird, particularly to a Northerner. If I groundbaited that way on the waters I used to fish as a kid, nobody would catch anything until May :lol:

hi all fishermen

i would like to ask a question on roach

if peaple fished for roach more would the size of roach increse ?

Edited by carphead07

mike finlay the carpinator

if peaple fished for roach more would the size of roach increse ?

Roach are limited by their genetic makeup as to the largest size they can reach so no, you would not see 5lb roach if there was more pressure fishing for them.

If you fished a water that was too heavily loaded with fish (not only roach) and rather than putting them all back, you kept some, the average size of the roach in that particular water would probably increase a little.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Roach are limited by their genetic makeup as to the largest size they can reach so no, you would not see 5lb roach if there was more pressure fishing for them.

If you fished a water that was too heavily loaded with fish (not only roach) and rather than putting them all back, you kept some, the average size of the roach in that particular water would probably increase a little.

I expect roach could get a boilie gut like all the other fish that have been spoilt by that style of fishing as well Newt!

Tim

Thats exactly what I mean't tim.

A boilie belly. Its not nice to see all those specimen fish that we know are artificial but its nice to see all those quality roach in carp waters.

john

Thats exactly what I mean't tim.

A boilie belly. Its not nice to see all those specimen fish that we know are artificial but its nice to see all those quality roach in carp waters.

john