WINDOWS Media Player 11!

Chris Goddard

Just asked to download this version and it will NOT allow you to run it or do anything UNLESS you again submit yourself to the LOGO testing service!! Now my copy of windows IS legit!! It came with the bloody laptop so it better be!! But Microsoft reckon otherwise!!! Just a heads up to let you know before you bother to download it.........IF OF COURSE YOU USE IT!!

Seesm like M/S are using this method now to get you to check for legal copies of XP? Also happened with IE7 but as I use FF!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine worked OK ( smug smilie :) )

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Mine worked OK ( smug smilie :) )

Den

No problems over here either Chris. My XP is 100% legit and Microsoft have never said otherwise, even when I had to activate by phone one time because I had no internet connection.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

You SMUG person you!! Well to be totally honest I disabled the checker as it kept asking me to install a PROPER copy and so that may be why. BUT why does it want me to pay for a copy of XP when this is legit?? And tried asking M/S but they simply say "Ask the supplier or holder of the licence about it!!"

Anyway, rolled back to version 10 (Not that I use it anyway!! And that is the daftest thing!) :rolleyes:

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

A possible compromise is to agree to whatever you have to, but then use the free RemoveWGA tool to prevent Windows from phoning home all the time. You can also block WGATray (I think that's the right one), which is in the System32 folder. I'm no expert though, so perhaps someone else can verify this.

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I don`t upgrade anything unless its security patches.

I still use WMP9 and WMP Classic (6.4.9.0)

I didn`t like WMP10 or 11 so I never upgraded.

Same as IE7, I haven`t upgraded to that either, and I don`t plan to in the near future eiher as I`ve heard/read too many horror stories about it.

If it ain`t broke, don`t fix it :clap2::huh:

You SMUG person you!! Well to be totally honest I disabled the checker as it kept asking me to install a PROPER copy and so that may be why. BUT why does it want me to pay for a copy of XP when this is legit?? And tried asking M/S but they simply say "Ask the supplier or holder of the licence about it!!"

Anyway, rolled back to version 10 (Not that I use it anyway!! And that is the daftest thing!) :rolleyes:

The problem is with your copy, not with Windows checking it, even if it is real, the copy clearly has something wrong with it if Windows can't authenticate it. I would contact the company you bought it off and request a new full XP in the post.

With regards to Windows updating and new realeases. They are there to be the new standard. Eventually you will have to get the new stuff wheather you like it or not. Remember Windows '95? How many people had that and didnt want the new bits that came out for Windows '98 - then the same for Windows 2000 and then again for for Windows XP - Now Vista is coming out and that requires even more. XP will be the industry standard for about 2 months more, and then it will be on the decline, it still has a healthy 2 years left though I reckon

"Pineapples are Evil"

"No really!, they are!!"

The problem is with your copy, not with Windows checking it, even if it is real, the copy clearly has something wrong with it if Windows can't authenticate it. I would contact the company you bought it off and request a new full XP in the post.

With regards to Windows updating and new realeases. They are there to be the new standard. Eventually you will have to get the new stuff wheather you like it or not. Remember Windows '95? How many people had that and didnt want the new bits that came out for Windows '98 - then the same for Windows 2000 and then again for for Windows XP - Now Vista is coming out and that requires even more. XP will be the industry standard for about 2 months more, and then it will be on the decline, it still has a healthy 2 years left though I reckon

Hi Chris

As you have a legit copy then you should have no problem getting good old MicroShite to give you a new authorisation code (or whatever they call it) just go through the process with them, using the online system and when they say it is not authentic or whatever phone them on the freephone number provided.

I've done it a couple of times, and to be honest if you wish to remain enslaved to MS it's probably the best thing to do.

Alternatively you could save yourself a lot of grief and come over to the dark side :)

Linux has come a long way from the days when you needed to be a real anorak to use it. It's not perfect (just much closer to it than anything that ever came out of Redmond!) It is FREE, which I reckon is a much better price than whatever XP is now, and can do anything that XP can - often better and many times easier too.

Did I mention it's free? And that applies to most any software you want to run too. If you really really really want to you can even run Microsoft apps on it.

Download a Live CD image and give it a go, you'll never know if you like it until you try it. If you deceide to give it a go and want any help post on here and I'll do what I can.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

you didnt send your computer to a computer repair shop at some point did you ? ive been to so many peoples houses where they sent the computer to a repair shop and ended up getting reformated and now they had problems with MS updates and other things going wrong. turns out it was because the repair guys used an illegal copy of xp

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Guest Ferret1959
Download a Live CD image and give it a go, you'll never know if you like it until you try it. If you deceide to give it a go and want any help post on here and I'll do what I can.

Nick.

I have a bare bones laptop and just reinsatalled XP Pro.

Nothing else on at the mo so I spose now would be a good time to try Linux.

Where can I get the Live CD image you mention?

Cheers.