broadband help needed

chesters1

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got so much SPAM and viruses with the LineOne(now Tiscali) email address that I don't use it any more.

I've got Broadband from Eclipse, 2.7 Mbps at best, but wish I had gone with Nildram.

My BT phoneline is billed through Unicom and there seems to be sounds of relays switching as you dial. I think this slows down the BB connection. Another line in the same building is supposed to be capable of 8Mbps.

I'll switch back to BT when the contract runs out!

Go to http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html before you make up your mind!

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Bottom line BT control the speed and quality of connection, why sign up with the oily rag when you can have the main man who has no one else to blame.

I have have just taken up a great deal with BT Business including three lines, BB and all my gizmos for £500 per year, plus very cheap single hourly rate national and local calls, every time I dial a number I know exactly what it will cost whether I am on for a couple of minutes or an hour.

They have some good deals you just have to pull their string a bit to get them.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Bottom line BT control the speed and quality of connection, why sign up with the oily rag when you can have the main man who has no one else to blame.

I have have just taken up a great deal with BT Business including three lines, BB and all my gizmos for £500 per year, plus very cheap single hourly rate national and local calls, every time I dial a number I know exactly what it will cost whether I am on for a couple of minutes or an hour.

They have some good deals you just have to pull their string a bit to get them.

Bt control the line for now. But they are in the middle of unbundling them, meaning the broadband supplier will control the line that your internet service is delivered on.

Bt may be good for a business user but for home users it really is worth shopping around. Bt customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

BT do not control the speed and quality of the connection, theres more factors than that. Ie distance from exchange, the further it is the more noise you get and weaker signal. the contention ratio alot of suppliers this is 50:1 however some other suppliers this can be as high as 250:1

I'm with you on this one Ken. and particularly for someone like Chesters that lives in a location where the service quality is likely to be less than fantastic. If you live in a decent size town / city and there is good infrastructure then fine, shop around and see what you can do.

When BT unbundle (and I'm not holding my breath waiting) then perhaps it may be worth looking around if you live a long way from the exchange - but probably not.

As always there are many factors to look at when buying any service, but when looking at broadband the simple fact is that for many parts of the country BT will be the only real provider for many years to come.

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

I'm with you on this one Ken. and particularly for someone like Chesters that lives in a location where the service quality is likely to be less than fantastic. If you live in a decent size town / city and there is good infrastructure then fine, shop around and see what you can do.

When BT unbundle (and I'm not holding my breath waiting) then perhaps it may be worth looking around if you live a long way from the exchange - but probably not.

As always there are many factors to look at when buying any service, but when looking at broadband the simple fact is that for many parts of the country BT will be the only real provider for many years to come.

That's my way of thinking, my brother lives in Bournemouth and has a cable deal all in and it is good, but when you live in the sticks it is a different story and I stick to my last post.

Who ever you choose BT control the exchanges and the line the others just use the same facilities. I was with BTYahoo before I moved and took up this new deal and I never had any problems as a home user and that was just a hundred yards down the road. If you have a poor line connection I don't see how another company can improve the situation.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

i'v gone with BT ,expensive but i suspect being a BT customer with a very dodgy line i have little real choice.

hopefully if i dont get the confirmed (i asked him to confirm it) at least 50 times faster than dialup then they will have to provide a better phoneline ,i doupt if i were with another supplier they would do anything .i am a fair distance from the first green box then over a mile further to the exchange so unfortunately not going to get really fast speed anyway.

hopefully it will prompt BT (but i doupt it) run a new cable to the village but you live in hope, its long overdue.

so hopefully from monday i will be up to 3mb rather than 33k.

thanks for the options chaps

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Good luck with BT Dave,but just for the record, I am almost 3.5 miles from exchange, BT told me and my neighbors that we were to far away to get BB. Tiscali told me they could provide it (using the BT line ! )

Now me and my neighbors also have BB :) although it is only "normal" BB at 570kpbs. Plenty fast for me.

You may remember that I ditched BT when they started to impose limits, despite my original contract being unlimited.....thousands of others also did the same....................

Keep your eye open in March or April as Tiscali look very likely to include the line rental and free calls in one package of £19.99 a month.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

cheers Den ,despite being in commuter belt surrey we have overhead powerlines which fail in the finest of weather ,little freeview ,little mobile phone coverage (so so if you stand on one leg next to the fence).

the village is at the end of the line phonewise ,strange things happen we can lose electric but the adjoining house (built at the same time) keeps it and were the only two houses with overhead phonelines which instead of being connected to the new houses below us and the older ones above us go straight across the green (about 1oo yrds) completely unsupported and connect to a private roads source.

i asked monday (still couldnt fix the noise) of the engineer why we couldnt go underground the 50ft to connect with the new houses supply and he said all the wires were used and there was no room in the conduit for more.

we waited two weeks for connection despite the overhead wire being in place ,to connect us 12 joins had to be made from the end of the road using up unused wires to the nearest green box ,he said no more cable could be put through that conduit either .

if the broadband connection is bad then i have a better chance of something being done by BT than if if was a service from a different company ,the excuse would be ofcourse phonelines were designed for voice rather than data (the excuse for our poor dialup speed) rather than improve the cabling purely for better speed for a connection they dont get money from B)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yup Chesters get BT to sort out the line problems and once it's all ok jump ship to a cheaper provider!

I should'nt knock BT I do loads of work for them! but why should they charge £5 more PCM and cap it as well.

And methinks Tiscali could end up in a pickle when they release their £19.99 all in offer, but I'm in!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.