multiplier casting

Donner und Blitzen

to all shore anglers who use a multiplier:

how do you find out the right moment to stop the spool spinning if you can´t see the lead hitting the water? (night fishing or casting beyond the horizon :D )

:confused:

regards

Donner and Blitzen

[ 25. May 2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Donner und Blitzen ]

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I start lightly thumbing the spool as the lead starts to fall, much earlier in the flight of the lead than in daylight, then stop it as it hits the water...you just get to know when this is about to happen after a while. Distance is reduced somewhat but thats not a real problem when compared to the horror of a fat overun in the dark and having to cope with unpicking it or worse, cutting it all off the spool, rejoining to retrieve the rig and probably by then, hooked up fish.

One easy way I use is duing the day cast as normal and then count in your head until the lead hits the water.(ie 7) At night do the same and when you get to the number just slow the reel down slightly and you will feel it hit the water. It takes a bit of practice and confidence but after a couple of sessions its easy

Good Luck

[ 25. May 2003, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Ian Bass ]

Jim Roper:

Make sure that you thumb the side of the spool and not the line!!!

I just love the words of Phillip Wylie (American author of big-game fishing stories)

"He thumbed his reel, and regretted it with passionate profanity"

BTW Jim - thumbing the side is easy with the Squidder

and similar Penn reels - not so easy with ABUs !!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Vagabond:

BTW Jim - thumbing the side is easy with the Squidder

and similar Penn reels - not so easy with ABUs !!

I didn't think ABUs needed to be thumbed!!!

Those modern flaps I've seen on some new rods would only easily touch the middle of the line-laden spool, from the look of them.

With Polycanskies you have to adjust the viscosity of the oil you use. At least, that's what it said in the instructions. Not sure how many over-runs it should take to find the right one!!

From your other posts, it would appear that it is worth getting hold of some replacement parts for my old Squidder, instead of donating what's left of it to some old hard-up pensioner.

[ 25. May 2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim Roper:

From your other posts, it would appear that it is worth getting hold of some replacement parts for my old Squidder, instead of donating what's left of it to some old hard-up pensioner.

Hmmm, sorry I posted now, as I'm an "old hard-up pensioner" So it looks as if I've talked myself out of a reserve Squidder

You are quite right about most ABUs not really needing thumbing tho' - if the adjustment and lubrication are right, just the thumb clamped on the spool to stop it when the lead hits the water.

[ 26. May 2003, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I remember my first attempts with a multiplier, unfortunately it was a Winfield (Woolworth's own brand at the time, don't know if they still use that brandname). First cast and I immediately knew what a bird's nest was! I eventually managed to untangle it again, only to have the same happen on every cast but one. I swear that one time I took that long to untangle the damn thing (and at the same time following the tide out) that when I had finished, the bait was BEHIND me!

That reel met with a happy ending about 3 hours later, hitting my bedroom wall at about 70mph.

The dent is still there :)

Give me a fixed spool any day....

[ 26. May 2003, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: John S ]

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

set up your reel correctly and you wont need to thumb it - youll be able to just stop the spool spinning at the end of the cast by looking at the reel and touching it at the correct time.

I assume your casting is also fault.

I.e. if you are hitting casts low and hard then your probably causing the problem as the lead is still travelling when it hits the water - hence big overun at that time.

If you cast correctly the reel will be running very slowly when the lead hits the water. You should have any problems and will be able to stop the reel easily. You may have a little over run but not one bad enough to stop u fishing

Jim Roper:

Make sure that you thumb the side of the spool and not the line!!!

Why ?!!! I thumb the line, always have, Ive got fat thumbs anyway so dont have much choice! all is needed is a little light pressure to stop the over run.

On knowing when to stop the reel i'm with the others after a while you get to recognise the change in tension on the rod as the weight comes out of orbit! If you are a bit nervous take it easy, use the brakes on full or tighten up the spool a bit, you'll lose a bit of distance but you'll avoid those night time tangles!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com