Portland Report 14.1.07

paintfly

Portland2.jpg

Me and Richi were on the water at dawn, having seen Speciman arrive just before we launched. He said he'd meet up with us out on the water and caught up with us by the time we'd arrived and anchored near the wreck of HMS Hood. Bloody 'ell those Scupper Pro's are quick, I thought to myself; it turned out he knew a handy short cut under a small bridge that only a kayak could squeeze through. But the speed of the SP was proved again later in the day when we decided to head for a nearby cove for a break and he left us standing. I'd certainly have one if my hallway could accomodate it.

Anyway, we were here to target doggies, which seemed a bit strange, as, along with wrasse, I generally do my best to avoid the damn things. Speciman continued out to some marker bouys about 1/2 mile further out, while we settled down to see what we could drag up from the submerged feature. Richi got both rods snagged almost immediately, but unusually for me, mine came up with no trouble when I checked. No bites however, and so when Richi eventually sorted his rods out, he announced he was going to head out to where Speciman was, as he was getting into some large pout. Amazingly, my anchor came up fairly easily, just having to break the weak link, which I always set at fairly low breaking strain. Richi's problems had only just begun though, and despite a valiant attempt at retrieving his anchor by paddling all around it, and eventually rafting up so we could both pull on the line, the Hood finally claimed another prize and he was forced to cut it free.

By the time we'd got out to the marker buoys, it had turned into a really nice sunny day with a light breeze. Richi tied up to a buoy and I used my anchor warp to tie up to his bow handle, as I didn't fancy losing my anchor as well. Doggies then started coming up fairly regularly and we amused ourselves, like fish chiropracters, with the tricky task of stretching their spines out to measure them. Each successively longer fish was met with cheers, but any rumours of fish going back longer than they came out are totally unfounded :D All were of pretty average size and between 55-65 cms, so no chance of winning the comp. Most seem to go for squid with a few taking macky, as well as ragworm, so no surprises there either. Pout and whiting came up as well, with enough of decent size for all of us to take one home for supper. Richi had the best catch of the day to make up for his earlier aggro, a codling of around 2lbs, which somehow managed to escape and miraculously leave a 2lb whiting in its place when we had a closer look during our break :D

CompDoggy.jpg

DogRoll.jpg A doggie with obviously Ozzy sympathies

Thereafter, the fishing slackened off and apart from a medium sized wrasse caught close in I didn't catch anything else. We fished around around the harbour entrance for a while, but eventually decided to call it a day around 3pm, while it was still light. This was the first time I'd fished Portland and I'd definitely go back, although probably not till the fishing improves. Paddling around a harbour with such big ships forming part of the traffic was an interesting experience and once on open water, views of more famliar territory of the Purbecks on the horizon provided a scenic backdrop to a highly enjoyable, if unspectacular, day's fishing.

Portland1.jpg

Another doggie for Speciman

what a day!

started driving at 4am saw loads of deer,a badger and a rabbit on the way.Man was I knackered when I got home ,but the 45cm whiting/codling was worth it,well it was so big I thought it was a Codling didn't I! :D Like Paintfly says doggies,doggies,doggies must have had 15 easily--biggest 64cms :wallbash: here are some more pics

DSCF0163.jpg

DSCF0164.jpg

DSCF0166.jpg

DSCF0167.jpg

Roll On Next Weekend!!! :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Paintfly thanks for posting the report up. Like Richi have a few pics to add:

Buoyed up at mark.

buoyedup.jpg

Richi and Paintly

richipaintfly.jpg

My 33cm whiting - not huge but its a start.

whiting.jpg

A 34cm Pout - some of the pout were quite big and pulled hard making me think I'd caught a winner :)

34cmpout.jpg

Another pout - goggle eyes.

pout.jpg

The larger pout were caught on whole squid and mackeral chunks. The smaller pout on whole sandeel!

smallpout.jpg

Loads of doggies caught. Had to scale down to one rod - fishing became too hectic and the doggies were not being lip hooked.

doggieteeth.jpg

grumpydoggie.jpg

My best fish - a 65cm doggie (hardly a speciman)

65cms.jpg

Despite the time of year caught a spidercrab.

spidercrab.jpg

Bird sunning itself.

bird.jpg

harbourentrance.jpg

Paintfly gutting his catch.

paintfly-whiting.jpg

Richi gutting his cod- channel whiting!

fishcleaning.jpg

richipaintfly2.jpg

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Excellent report and pics guys as always :thumbs: those doggies really are like rubber bands, full marks for perseverance. Looking forward to giving Portland a go when I'm feeling more confident.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

Makes me wish I had opted to get GB to come to Dorset instead and we could have got some fishing done. Oh well, I will put the seaweed on the log burner and get myself a pine cone instead.

Great pictures and not such a bad days fishing - nice whiting Richi and unusual markings. I wonder if it is a hybri between cod and whiting - or do they spawn at different times/different places.

I have sent pictures some to GB and SM, so maybe one of them will post some of our trip out. You know what I am like with technology - now, how do you use that wheelbarrow again? :unsure:

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Great report guy's. Looks like you had a ball.

Richi you seen r#~@/*s on the way to a trip afloat, there in lies the answer to all your problems encountered on that day. Damned things.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I