An Alliance Between Anglers And Commercials?

stavey

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i feel very sorry for the sea anglers in your area if all the commercials are as single minded as you are their? but that wont bother you to much will it?

Thats the last thing I consider myself. I would be interested in what your local commercials say thats different than me.

I fish to live and live to fish.

ther all single minded! all this prettying it up is bull*hit!

they make money the goverment makes money! wish the anti trawler organisations wer more pro active! a few limpet mines in the dock might wake em up! greedy short sighted w*nkers!

Hi Chris

I must admit I did throw a paddy when i saw binatone's post. but I have become bored with the blind repetition that everything commercial fisherman do is 100 per cent right, and that the fish stocks are in good order when clearly they aren't.

It's the attitude that all scientists without exception are tossers and Binotone and Wurzel now best, that really gets my hackles rising.

You only have to read the threads from right round the country to realise fish stocks are disappearing fast and because IMHO the big breeding stock have gone the decline is increasing.

I have read some recent posts of lads fishing from the beaches this last fortnight and a dozen Whiting is considered a good nights fishing. I am not in any way having a go at these lads but in reality it is a pathetic situation.

I have had disagreements with some of your posts in the past and i know you have disagreed with some of mine, but we have both read them with an open mind and i admit you have changed my opinions on a few occasions, but you can't have a sensible debate with someone wearing blinkers.

So i repeat I am not going to get drawn in to any pointless arguments with either of them, as they haven't accepted one bit of evidence, from AN either anecdotal or scientific. I just consider it a waste of my time; which i could put to better use, like writing to MP's on RSA matters.

You may find this interesting

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/displa...e=sidebarsearch

Regarding the GPS and the Admiralty and Kingfisher charts. I don't know whether they are more accurate in shore or not as i rarely venture over 10 miles out, but I have never had a problem finding the wrecks and have the positions of every wreck on the charts within a 10 mile radius and can steam straight to them.

Ian, will pm you later in the week. To be fair to Binatone and Wurzel, it gets hard to take the constant abuse from some people here and i don't doubt they come here with a fairly aggressive defence to compensate ;) Im not so sure Wurzel is closed to new ideas either :D ; im always curious about what leon does not get iinvolved with or comment on ;) I'd imagine Wurzel has similar "shackles".

As for Binatone/John/Winter/big cod I suspect ts just the Whitby haar seeping down the internet connections. It would make a fantastic soap opera.

My guess is that John causes a "problem " because he dares to say that the grounds he works are much better than those inshore (and therefore those where Big cod works). Autumn will always jump in on any perceived slight on big cod, therefore we appear to have a weird kind of war going on :D

I come down on the side of John because the grounds hes working sound like the log book of a 90ft commercial and i bet the fishing is truely fantastic.

OTHH, given the choice between a day out with big cod and some good fishing on whitby inshore wrecks, or several days in the middle of the north sea, and the comprimises that involves, then im an old git that has been at sea plenty and would take the former :).

Plenty of other folk, esp those that don't know what its like; and it is a very different experience would get a lot from the latter.

Why are these different views, who all want whitby to do well, fighting!!

Eek, Its a clear night here but going to be looking south for that haar ;)

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest @AUTUMN@

Jaffa - The problem I have is constant business promotion rather than a discussion on fishing. There is no way of proving where fishes best and when, and to be frank I dont care a toss, I hate boat fishing as I always throw up (uptiding being the exception as I love it, but still throw up). Saying the inshore grounds are knackered and those off shore are fantastic is rubbish ( atrip on the charter boat pontoon at 4-5 pm will show you otherwise) and also damaging to the livlihoods of those many guys who work inshore. Im sure there are better ways to promote yourself than that. There were many here, all regulers who once commented on thier offshore experiences and I trust thier word. Strangely enough what was said was suddenly removed from this forum. I wonder why??? Damaging to business perhaps. Strange what happens when the boot is on the other foot. About time this sillyness stopped and we (me included) all got on with discussing fishing.

[quote name='@Saying the inshore grounds are knackered and those off shore are fantastic is rubbish ( atrip on the charter boat pontoon at 4-5 pm will show you otherwise)

this is all so short sighted and not in my back yard!

i live in worthing im a keen angler and diver! my waters for 2 miles out ar like swimming over a sub aqua m25! thers nothing! screwed and bugerd by pair trawlers!

its this! well its not off my coast thing that pisses me off!

im all right jack :D but for how long <_< ?

was it this thread stasvey was on about no netting within a mile.

well gill netting within the tide lines is banned may to jan round here to protect salmon.but does it stop them ha ha ha.

ive tried contacting the sfc but guess what,no reply,what a surprise when theyre all ex commercials.

well gill netting within the tide lines is banned may to jan round here to protect salmon.but does it stop them ha ha ha.

ive tried contacting the sfc but guess what,no reply,what a surprise when theyre all ex commercials.

It's the job of the Environment Agency to propose and enforce byelaws to protect Salmon and Trout.

Their 24 hour helpline is 0800 807 060 (put it into your mobile now)

They are usually very good at responding to reports of illegally placed netting or fyke nets etc, especially if you ask them to provide feedback.

See also http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/sacn/ill_net.htm

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

What sfc do you come under maximo? you should have atleast one mostly two rsa reps serving on it now for your benefit, find out who they are? and while your at it the name and contact details of the chief fisheries officer, all these should have email addresses to, when you have made contact with these people tell them you want to arrange an informal meeting with you and any anglers in your area you can drag along, tell them your concerns and ask them what they are gonna do about it.

If they try and fob you off? put in a proposal of yours for a change to a bylaw ( like extending the time scale to the gill netting within the tide line the one your talking about ie, instead of may to jan, say april to dec for instance) and ask for it to be put on the agenda of the next sfc meeting, they have to deal with it, my guess would then be, they will arange an informal meeting with you.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest binatone
Jaffa - The problem I have is constant business promotion rather than a discussion on fishing. There is no way of proving where fishes best and when, and to be frank I dont care a toss, I hate boat fishing as I always throw up (uptiding being the exception as I love it, but still throw up). Saying the inshore grounds are knackered and those off shore are fantastic is rubbish ( atrip on the charter boat pontoon at 4-5 pm will show you otherwise) and also damaging to the livlihoods of those many guys who work inshore. Im sure there are better ways to promote yourself than that. There were many here, all regulers who once commented on thier offshore experiences and I trust thier word. Strangely enough what was said was suddenly removed from this forum. I wonder why??? Damaging to business perhaps. Strange what happens when the boot is on the other foot. About time this sillyness stopped and we (me included) all got on with discussing fishing.

@autumn@ when have I said that the inshore grounds are crap fishing and the offshore grounds are great?

I will say this for the last time. I was trying to find out how often the offshore wrecks are fished compared to the inshore wrecks.

The reason I was asking was to try and determine if angling on wrecks was sustainable with the amount of anglers that fish the said wrecks.

I have asked big cod questions and I have asked john and Michele questions accordingly.

Now if big cod wants to come out with statements that I find unlikely (90% of all wrecks have been fished offshore by commercial fishermen using rod and line) then I was only stating what I thought.

If by me asking John and Michele a question is counter mount to promoting there company then I give up.

I wish big cod and all the other inshore charter boats all the best. I would not under any circumstances want to harm there business.

If I have been, then please point it out to me and I will see if I can do something about it.

I am sure that John and Michele are mature enough to stand up for themselves without the likes of a commercial coming to there aid.

I do tend to have sympathies toward John and Michele as unlike big cod they do seam to know what they are talking about in regards to commercial fishing.

I under no circumstances want to knock big cod and what he does.

I will defend commercial fishermen with every breath when I here injustices against them i.e. blinders, dumping of tons of juvenile cod etc etc.

Now I will admit that a lot of things went on within the commercial industry that I am certainly knot proud of. But hopefully those days are gone. For two reasons, one is that we cannot get away with it (black fish is no longer an option but if they had brought in days at sea rather than unworkable quotas years ago then things would have been much healthier today) But the main reason is the philosophy of the commercial fisherman today is totally different to what it was ten years ago.

Now weather the damage is irreversible is up for debate? But I can tell you that every effort is being made to make the sea a much more sustainable fishery than there ever was in times gone by.

Now you can either believe that or not.

The last thing I as a commercial fisherman want to do is catch the last cod.

As for being on someone’s payroll? Then if I am would you please inform them to deposit some money into my bank account and if I am not a commercial fisherman then will you please inform the inland revenue of your suspicions so I can sleep better at night.

Remember that like plumbers, builders, or anybody else in different walks of life, commercial fishermen are not all the same so don’t tar us all with the same brush please.

Good fishing to you all.