Survival at sea Course

jonnyboy

Hi Bill

Yes I can see that fins would be a boon when performing a re-entry; food for thought!

Moonyaker

just a footnote :rolleyes: If you're buying fins for this purpose bodyboarder type hard fins will be more appropriate as they are designed for surface work.I have a pair of top of the range diving fins but on the surface they are far too floppy to be of much use,but then again they are not designed for surface swimming :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A member of Portland Coastguard does look at this forum and made a comment the last time I was registering a trip.

His view was that the mini flares were next to useless in daylight and only slightly better at night. (Don't ask me why.) It is worth baring in mind that most kayak rescues take place during daylight.

He recommended the standard inshore flare pack. Contains 2 smoke (day) and 2 flares; is easy to stow and small enough not to get in the way. (£35)

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Good thread!

As a complete beginning as was told full foam vests were the best option. Being of husky build :blink: my Palm vest is 70N. So is 70N not sufficient to keep me a float? Also why don't they put self inflate bladders on these things like on diving BCD's?

Now one of the biggest threats as I see it is being run over by one of the many gin palaces charging around on the south coast in summer.

JRT

Good thread!

As a complete beginning as was told full foam vests were the best option. Being of husky build :blink: my Palm vest is 70N. So is 70N not sufficient to keep me a float? Also why don't they put self inflate bladders on these things like on diving BCD's?

Now one of the biggest threats as I see it is being run over by one of the many gin palaces charging around on the south coast in summer.

JRT

It is just as well that you guys are practising your sport in the UK and that you are not French, otherwise you would all have to tote this amount of gear with you.

http://www.mer.gouv.fr/loisirs/02_reglemen...kayak/index.htm

Also your Yaks would have to be registered and you would all have to be qualified to take a boat to sea too.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Re the Fins folks.

Swim Fins or Divers Fins ?

The reason I use Divers fins is because Im used to using them,and have coverd a fair few miles with them over the years, both under the water and on top.

Swim Fins are good too, and will achieve the end result were looking for, which is better and added propulsion through the water.

Forgot to say, if you buy a pair, dont forget to try them on over what ever footwear you use on the Kayak, ( Wading Boots may be a prob to get a fin on.) :D ....but then again......

I would go for a strap fit fin. rather than a shoe fit, easier to get on and off in the water, or on the kayak.

Make sure you can wiggle your toes inside the fin, if you cant, they are too tight for you.

The arch of the foot shouldnt bind either, make sure you get a good fit

Some Fins float, worth buying those. :thumbs:

Blades of the fins should not be too stiff, no need, get somthing a little more flexible with good ribs, the stiffer blades will more than likely give the cramps to people who dont use them on a regular basis.

As with all our kit, rinse in fresh water after every trip,even if you dont use them,cant hurt.

Bill :)

It is just as well that you guys are practising your sport in the UK and that you are not French, otherwise you would all have to tote this amount of gear with you.

http://www.mer.gouv.fr/loisirs/02_reglemen...kayak/index.htm

Also your Yaks would have to be registered and you would all have to be qualified to take a boat to sea too.

It is likely to be the case in the UK within three years....our French distribution centre has to comply with this & any top up boats we get from there (over 4mts) have the extra hatch with buoyancy inserted & the regulation plate attached. That's really the only difference in construction but it's a pain in the a**e as it costs more & takes away the choice factor in deciding whether you have a hatch (where there isn't already one e.g. Malibu XL) or not.

As ever all Europe will conform to standard regulations eventually..sigh!!!

Regards

Andrew

Hi JRT.

What a great idea you have there, inflatable bladder in a PFD.

Go get a patent on it :D:thumbs:

Would be good to know you had that extra bouynacy if you needed it.

Bill.

The same sort of thing could be done to a dry suit, a valve and tube to inflate it slightly would give a lot of extre bouyancy, although I dont know how safe it would be as in what position it would make you sit in the water. I have thought about having one fitted to mine but would not know how to get it done properly, for now I just dont squeeze out the excess air that gets in when donning the suit.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Hi GB.

How about a couple of the hydration bags, the ones you put in packs to hold water.

Placed inside the the dry suit over the shoulders (one each side ) then like you say have the pipes comming out of the suit for you to inflate / deflate when needed.

That way the air would be contained in the area you need it most,within the bags, and not filling the whole suit, making position in the water less of a problem.

:D:D:D another patent pending?

Bill. :thumbs:

Hi GB.

How about a couple of the hydration bags, the ones you put in packs to hold water.

Placed inside the the dry suit over the shoulders (one each side ) then like you say have the pipes comming out of the suit for you to inflate / deflate when needed.

That way the air would be contained in the area you need it most,within the bags, and not filling the whole suit, making position in the water less of a problem.

:D:D:D another patent pending?

Bill. :thumbs:

Good thinking batman :thumbs:

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I