Any tips for a newcomer to sea fishing

wootton

wootton:

I am going to be able to do some sea fishing from a pier shortly, in Lyme Regis

Never fished the sea before. If anyone has any advice or tips on how best to get started, they'd be gratefully received

Many thanks.

Generally speaking, I have always found that the further you are prepared to walk from where you or anybody else can park a car, the more likely you are to catch fish. This applies to the areas all along the Dorset coast e.g. Between Eype and Seatown, Whitenose, the middle stretches of Chesil Beach, Gabriel's Beach, Portland etc. etc. etc.

I have never fished off the pier at Lyme but I imagine there is always the chance of a bass at daybreak using a live prawn or small local fish as livebait.

Jim Roper

[ 28 June 2002, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Hi, wooton, I don't know the area, but generaly speaking, to get started on pier fishing, you need to know how fast the tide runs in and out, you need 3 and 6oz sinkers and maybe some gripleads to hold bottom, a rod to suit, like a surfcaster able to cast 3 to 6oz sinkers. A sea fixed spool real,if you can't manage a multiplier reel(which can be difficult to master) at least a 100 yds 25/30lb breaking strain line, a simple single hook paternoster rig, 1.0s or 2.0s hooks.

I don't know the local preference for bait, but ragworm and or lugworm should do. Try not to fish into weed/kelp beds, you'll get plugged every time and loose bottom ends. Check the tide times and try and fish 3 hours up and 3 hours down. Ask the lads on the pier, when you get down there, or in the local sea tackle shop, for all the information you need, they'll usually keep you right.Basically that's it, good luck and don't fall in. cheers...hoppy

My Wine cellar is empty, Well, the Bottles in there are...Hic

look here http://www.amherstlodge.com/LymeRegis/Directory.htm

dont waste you money visiting the aquarium on the cob youl be out in 30 seconds and left with visions of dead and dying sea dwellers

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest Geoff Carlin

Pier fishing is how many of us first started sea fishing. Because you are fishing in deeper water distance casting is not so important, indeed in some areas fish can be caught at your feet. A "soft" beachcaster, even a three piece, with a fixed spool reel rigged with 20lb line is about right for off the pier, but remember to use a shock leader, say 18 feet of 60lb line. Cast overhead only for safety. You can get a suitable basic outfit for under £100.00. You will be best ledgering with a one or two hook rig with say a 4 oz weight, but bring a trace of feathers in case the mackeral are around. Every pier has its hot spots and it is worth inquiring as to where these are. Size 1 or 1/0 hooks are big enough, if you are using mussel wrap the bait on the hook with fine elastic. Have a think about how you are going to land a sizeable fish, a drop net could be a handy investment. Keep an eye out for boats and do not leave your rod unattended, a tripod is usually needed as a rod rest. Part of the pier experience is chatting with members of the public who will stroll up to you and ask inane questions - answer politely and inanely as you see fit; watch for dogs, they will always **** on your tackle or make off with loose bait. Keep your fishing area tidy and do not leave loose line, rubbish, Ammo bait packets lying about. Above all, enjoy your day.

Wootton? Pier at Lyme Regis?

Forgive me for being slightly inebriated but last time I was down there, the only pier like structure is the big stone `Cob`?

Or the boat moorings?

Please update me if I`m wrong. Your not thinking of Bognor are you?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

i was confused as well ,possibly because a woman dressed in a black robe wasnt on it when we went if he decides to go looking for fossils instead forget lyme go to charmouth ,500 yds east along the beach look in the sand as the tide goes out

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

walk around to the boat morings and out to the end ,the harbour entrance .i find the fishing better on your right ,its a bit deeper ,50 yard lob will put you in fish . plenty of pout and dogs .chance of bass closer in .pollak also on spinners

mousey.

Hi wootton

I fish around that area of Dorset a lot. Apart from the mullet, I don't fish the Cobb much - to busy with tourists most of the time. As was said previously, you would be best to fish other areas.

If you want I will meet up with you for a short session one evening on Charmouth beach and I will run through what I do/use. Some good small eyed ray and bass (like the one below that I had a little while ago)plus LOTS of pout and doggies - if that's what you enjoy catching! :D

Either e-mail me or PM me and we will sort out a decent tide.

cheers Kev

Posted Image

SEA FISHING THE SOUTH WEST

www.seaswest.org.uk