A Nice Catch of Mullet

Hello, this is my first post. I've visited and read post's on this site for some time. I'm a commercial (whatever that means?) fisherman of 20 yrs with a long family fishing history preceding myself. I have not come on here for a slanging match ,I just want to raise a few facts that many of you have become misled on. As my user name suggest's I apply my trade in the SW . The mullet in question weighed around 3000kilos and ranged from £1.10 to £1.40, at an average of £1.25 the catch would have grossed around £3,750. All involved work so £1,000+ would've been generated for the tax man.

The pair teams fishing the channel at this time of the year catch and dump tons of mullet. The latest shipping fiasco off the Devon/Dorset coast is also likely to pollute millions of gallons of sea water containing mullet ranging from fully grown adult fish to newly fertilised spawn but there nothing like a picture to get the blood boiling.

Got loads more I'd like to write given the time but this will have to do for the moment. As I've said above I'm not after a slanging match just resonable debate and giving the other side of the 'yarn'.

A very warm welcome to you Cornishman, you would not get a slanging match from myself. I will look forward to your posts. I agree with your comments regarding the container ship, but point out that at least it wasn't a bloo...y big oil tanker. Cheers.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not after a slanging match just resonable debate and giving the other side of the 'yarn'.

Will make a pleasant change!

Since actually looking around and finding out a few things i for one am learning a bit of 'the other guys' point of view, all helps to balance opinion.

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

Yes the pair trawlers do account for a lot of mullet, and so does pollution from any number of sources.

(And they are a favourite meal of dolphins).

A very long-lived fish (the fish in that picture look as though most are 15 - 25 years old) facing natural and unnatural dangers from many directions.

(Those fish have probably swam along that coast for many years, to populate creeks and harbours to the delight of anglers in many places. They will not be making that journey again, and as has been mentioned above, they will be missed)

And mullet are an extremely valuable RSA resource (A paper prepared by the National Mullet Club argues that a mullet caught by an angler is worth £25 per kg, and most are then returned, perhaps to be caught again, a single fish adding perhaps a £100 or perhaps much more to the local economy - yes some are caught quite a few times as tagging has demonstrated).

Even more reason why they should be looked after, when that is possible.

The argument that a lot get killed anyway, so killing even more is perfectly acceptable, is a morally bankrupt argument.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

A very warm welcome to you Cornishman, you would not get a slanging match from myself. I will look forward to your posts. I agree with your comments regarding the container ship, but point out that at least it wasn't a bloo...y big oil tanker. Cheers.

ditto!

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

Hello, this is my first post. I've visited and read post's on this site for some time. I'm a commercial (whatever that means?) fisherman of 20 yrs with a long family fishing history preceding myself. I have not come on here for a slanging match ,I just want to raise a few facts that many of you have become misled on. As my user name suggest's I apply my trade in the SW . The mullet in question weighed around 3000kilos and ranged from £1.10 to £1.40, at an average of £1.25 the catch would have grossed around £3,750. All involved work so £1,000+ would've been generated for the tax man.

The pair teams fishing the channel at this time of the year catch and dump tons of mullet. The latest shipping fiasco off the Devon/Dorset coast is also likely to pollute millions of gallons of sea water containing mullet ranging from fully grown adult fish to newly fertilised spawn but there nothing like a picture to get the blood boiling.

Got loads more I'd like to write given the time but this will have to do for the moment. As I've said above I'm not after a slanging match just resonable debate and giving the other side of the 'yarn'.

Hello cornishman

I've always reckoned a commercial fisherman is someone who catches fish and sells them to make money.

The pair trawlers may dump tons of mullet each year, but does that make killing tons of mullet on the beaches any better? A ton of dead mullet is still a ton of dead mullet no matter who caught them, and regardless of what happened to them afterwards.

As you say, nothing gets the blood boiling, or stirs the imagination, like a picture. That's why it might be a good idea to keep commercial fishing a little further offshore, say a mile for example. Out of sight out of mind and all that, plus it would improve inshore recreational fishing no end. I know commercial fishermen will be dead against it, but it could put an end to all this confrontation and anamosity, as well as benefitting a lot of people.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

My best haul of mullet was 22 stone with 3 stone of bass for good measure. That was from a 17 foot ally assult craft and 50 yards of net, it took longer to shake them out than it did to catch them.

Not bad when you think they were worth 50 pence per pound at the time. Theres 14lb to the stone so thats seven quid per stone. I earned 154 quid for an hour and a half work, not bad hay.

But now those mullet are dead and will not reproduce and I feel a bit bad but hay at the time I had to eat and live and it wasnt illegal so my conscience is clearish!

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=

Hello again.

The argument that a lot get killed anyway, so killing even more is perfectly acceptable, is a morally bankrupt argument. - Not my words Leon. Just raising the point that those mullet are not the only ones to be caught or affected by human activity. I like your figures on mullet value Leon but i've caught hundreds of mullet on a rod with less than a £50 investment. It depends on which slipper you want to make fit.

'Hello cornishman

I've always reckoned a commercial fisherman is someone who catches fish and sells them to make money.'

Hello Steve Coppolo. What are charter skippers classed as? Do they come under commercial fisherman , after all the capture of fish puts food on their tables.

Hello again.

'Hello cornishman

I've always reckoned a commercial fisherman is someone who catches fish and sells them to make money.'

Hello Steve Coppolo. What are charter skippers classed as? Do they come under commercial fisherman , after all the capture of fish puts food on their tables.

Whats the point? Does it matter?

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Just as a control figure, how many AN posters caught how many mullet on rod and line around Cornwall last summer?

None for me as i am a conservator. :thumbs: