Red fishing line

bingo

Infrared is not heat, nor is it colour - it is quite simply a range of wavelengths in the Electromagnetic spectrum. Some wavelengths (the shorter ones) are cold, others the longer ones do indeed have thermal energy, and when we feel heat it is infrared electromagnetic radiation that we are feeling.

Quite a good but fairly simple description here

I don't know if fish "see" infrared, nor do I know if they see red, but it is certainly true that red is the first colour of light to be lost as you descend the water column.

I would guess that the same as many other subjects in fishing the real test of how effective a red line is has more to do with your personal confidence in the colour than any real difference. Most tackle is designed to catch anglers not fish!

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Infrared is not heat, nor is it colour - it is quite simply a range of wavelengths in the Electromagnetic spectrum. Some wavelengths (the shorter ones) are cold, others the longer ones do indeed have thermal energy, and when we feel heat it is infrared electromagnetic radiation that we are feeling.

I think you are confusing art and physics.

The shorter the wavelength, the higher the energy of the photons (E=hv), which is why the shorter wavelengths of UV light cause sunburn.

Paradoxically, confirming what all scientists believe about artists, blue colours are said to "feel" cold when seen on a painting or when used as decoration, whereas red "feels" warm.

no, not confusing anything. :mellow:

What we refer to as Infrared are forms of electromagnetic radiation of wavelengths between approximately 750 nm and 1 mm. :D

the shorter wavelengths are cold, and are the frequencies used in infrared remote controls. The longer wavelengths are the hot infrared which we all experience as heat from such things as fires lightbulbs other animals etc Some objects emit the heat, others refelect it

As the wavelength of infrared is outwith the range we experience as visible light then it cannot have any colour. B)

Edited by nick

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

the shorter wavelengths are cold, and are the frequencies used in infrared remote controls. The longer wavelengths are the hot infrared which we all experience as heat from such things as fires lightbulbs other animals etc Some objects emit the heat, others refelect it

As the wavelength of infrared is outwith the range we experience as visible light then it cannot have any colour. B)

I'd give up now if I were you!

Go and look up Planck's law and have a think.

I also think red line is designed to catch idiots, not fish

Oops. Well, that is me told then.

I enjoyed using the red Cajun mono so much that I have bought myself a spool of the red braid that PowerPro has just started selling. I sorta decided the red helped by making the line easier for me to see above water and was either neutral or possibly a little helpful with the fishing results.

Most likely the fact that so many lure and hook makers are now offering more and more red hooks is just a fad as well so I probably should stock up before the fad dies out.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 2 weeks later...

Yes red does change colour at depth but I often read that it turns black. This is rubbish. Black is not a colour as such. It's a complete lack of light or colour.The red would probably change in contrast to some form of grey, which may still be quite visible against the bottom of the water you are fishing so forget the idea that red maggots miraculously disappear after 15 feet or so. It simply changes colour.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Obviously I cannot remark on what fish might see, but I do know that below about 30' red is none existant as red but shows as green. I have observed my own blood and the blood of fish at that depth and have been dangerously confused on one occasion when I continued a dive while bleeding profusely from an injury on my leg. On another occasion my daughter was snorkelling on the surface and saw an explosion of green burst fom a fish when I shot it. So, if fish do see the same as what we see, it might be that red line is a good colour below certain depths. But having said that I still prefer to use a neutrally coloured line and even if I ever used a coloured one, I would never use it up to the hook!

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

in South OZ we use a red bead or red tubing just above the hook when fishing for King George Whiting.

On a personal note ive caught just as many without the red add ons.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/