Gill Nets

itwasthisbig

Gill nets are not the problem, it's what some people do with them! A gill net itself is quite selective and doesn't damage the marine environment the way some other methods of fishing do.

The problems come when people decide to supplement their benefits by stringing miles of the stuff all along the beaches and around the estuaries.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A gill net itself is quite selective and doesn't damage the marine environment the way some other methods of fishing do.

Gill nets can be quite selective, but they can be set in ways that very much decreases their selectivity.

In some other countries, not only is mesh size regulated, but also twine thickness and the ratio between the headrope length and the length of the net itself.

If a very fine twine is used, then the soft twine will tangle with much that tries to go through the mesh.

In areas with a lot of weed and other 'rubbish' in the water, that can be a nightmare, as the mesh picks up everything, which has to be cleaned from the net, so in those circumstances a thicker twine is preferred by the fisherman.

But in 'clean' areas, electing to use a fine twin will spoil the selectivity of the net, getting around the restrictions placed on mesh size aimed at ensuring that smaller fish pass through.

Also setting the net so that the length of netting significantly exceeds the length of the headrope, means that the net hangs down in folds.

Those folds will also trap fish that would otherwise have passed through the mesh.

And similarly nets deeper than the water depth, will also form folds, especially at low tide, trapping smaller fish that would otherwise pass through the mesh.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Steve Good, i for one don't need to be told to wake up, i have my own mind and also my own opinion and i will voice it as i think fit. Not based on defra, or bradshaw,s want's. As for being in the same bed as the greens, well who ever thought of that one?

Could you please tell me what is troubling the commercial fishing industry, the south west doen't seem to have had a bad time of it lately, if it's quota then it's down to the eu. Lack of cod in the north sea, it's down to the eu. The price of white fish appears to be very high, so no problems there. i think we are all to blame for our current lot as we voted to join the eu, didn't we.

Hi barry luxton

QUOTE/ As for being in the same bed as the greens, well who ever thought of that one?

Ben Bradshaw is also MINSTER for the ENVIROMENT, no one thought it up it is a FACT

steve

Hi barry luxton

QUOTE/ As for being in the same bed as the greens, well who ever thought of that one?

Ben Bradshaw is also MINSTER for the ENVIROMENT, no one thought it up it is a FACT

steve

Hi Steve, and your point is? :huh:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi Steve, and your point is? :huh:

Hi barry

QUOTE/ and your point is?

Can you not smell it, do you trust DEFRA that much?

The apeasement of the GREEN movement means more to the goverment than the anglers and the commercials put together.

DEFRA do not care about fisheries, fish farming will provide all that is needed in due coarse

The green movement includes the supermarkets and they along with DEFRA will crush the commercial fishing industry because all fish supplies will come from those rescources, thats where the most taxes and votes will be derived from plus the saving in costs that will not be spent overseeing the commercial industry,

Anglers are only a pawn in the game to be used to achieve the aims of destroying the commercials and when it is over you the anglers will think that DEFRA are great because there will be no commercials ( your hatred of commercials is there for all to see, and can and is being used) and your sport will be better, but you will have to pay through the nose for it, if with backs against the the commercial dont destroy it.

The rsa stratagy, the marine bill, 20 year plan all tools to destroy commercials all these plans have a preconceived outcome, just watch this space,

The point is anglers and commercials are all in the same boat but nobody realies it yet, and when they do, it will be just to late.

steve

I've always said I wouldn't mind paying if we had a recreational fishery to rival what they have in the states.

Hi Steve

The chances of getting it are nil

This goverment STATED that there ARE weapons of MASS DESTRUCTION in IRAQ, he told the truth did he?, DEFRA is only one of the same goverment departments, ask the families of our (((((((((((DEAD SERVICEMEN)))))))))))(((((((((((((( and their greiving families,))))))))))))) and the ((((((((((POOR INNOCENT PEOPLE))))))) of IRAQ what they think about (((((((((((TRUTH, TRUST,and HONESTY)))))))))))) I suppose just because you anglers got this goverment re-elected on (((((((((((their promise of a larger mls))))))))))))) they will be honuor bound to ((((((((((GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT)))))))))))

Seeing will be believing, cannot see it myself and if they do, will you be (((((((((PROUD OF IT?)))))))))

steve

Hi Steve

The chances of getting it are nil

This goverment STATED that there ARE weapons of MASS DESTRUCTION in IRAQ, he told the truth did he?, DEFRA is only one of the same goverment departments, ask the families of our (((((((((((DEAD SERVICEMEN)))))))))))(((((((((((((( and their greiving families,))))))))))))) and the ((((((((((POOR INNOCENT PEOPLE))))))) of IRAQ what they think about (((((((((((TRUTH, TRUST,and HONESTY)))))))))))) I suppose just because you anglers got this goverment re-elected on (((((((((((their promise of a larger mls))))))))))))) they will be honuor bound to ((((((((((GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT)))))))))))

Seeing will be believing, cannot see it myself and if they do, will you be (((((((((PROUD OF IT?)))))))))

steve

Hi Steve

I can't see it happening either, I just said I'd be prepared to pay for it if it did happen.

Don't understand your last comment though? What do you mean will I be ((((((((((PROUD OF IT?)))))))))? :blink:

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.