The "Black Stuff"

Polly

.........as previous post I'm going to a lake where dropping a bait onto the silt is a "winning" line of attack (or so I'm told). Rigs, I think I've mentally cooked up something to deal with sitting a bait just on top of the "black-stuff" so that it sits half in-half out and remains on view. However, which style of lead is best? I've heard in-line leads are a "No-No" and that pendant method is best. Which shape sits in silt best to give best presentation? Would putting lead into a pva bag help and stop it sinking too deep into the silt.

Also, should I use a stiff hinged hook length or is a softer braid type better????

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

flat pear on a lead clip won't sink too far into silt avoid stiff hooklinks as potential to stick up out of bottom.....long supple will be best with a wafter as hookbait should settle nice on top of silt.....or jus use a choddy

Any old lead is fine, but agree probably not an inline - and go as light as you can, within reason. I tend to use braided hooklengths and make sure the baits you use won't suck up all the silty smell - some fishmeals are pretty bad for that.

Rob.

If casting distance and ultimate accuracy isn`t an issue then Trilobe leads are the way to go.

I fish a lake with very deep silt, lets just say you wouldn`t want to go wading.........

My normal line of attack is either a trilobe or dumpy pear lead on a longish (12 to 18") supple hooklength and a pva stick. After casting I do bump the lead out of the silt but its not essential.

One lead well worth trying is a small gripper. They sink into the silt and the hole in the middle aids the bolt effect so you can get away with a much lighter lead with the same results :whistling: (keep that quiet from others on your water though, its a brilliant edge!)

wolf.gif

Polly,Ive always found "black silt" ie the smelly stuff very poor to fish in/over.Normal silt is however different!

hopefully it's not the "black stuff" then, membership only kicked off yesterday so not fished lake yet. Membership secretary told me about fishin the silt when I went for a look round a week or two back

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

Many years ago, (when I wor a lad). I remember reading an article by, I think, Dick Walker.

He suggested using 'balanced' weights. I think lignum vitae was one of the materials he mentioned. But I am sure that with the advances in plastics, then a 'nearly neutral' buoyancy one could be used, if your not casting too far. Another way was to make a weight with lead and a buoyant material combined.

The idea is that the weight, being of a material that just sinks, will rest on the silt, and not in it.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

He suggested using 'balanced' weights. I think lignum vitae was one of the materials he mentioned. But I am sure that with the advances in plastics, then a 'nearly neutral' buoyancy one could be used, if your not casting too far. Another way was to make a weight with lead and a buoyant material combined.

Mixers in a pva bag tied to the lead do exactly the same job. Takes a bit of messing round to get the descent speed perfect but it really works well.

wolf.gif