A Recreational Sea Angling Strategy

nick

If that is all you have seen, you have the most selective vision I have ever heard of.

There are opinions blaming the fish shortages on global warming, RSA, Commercials, EU leadership, and a host of other things. Space aliens is about the only group that has not been blamed.

Then there are the not infrequent comments saying there is no problem.

You must have missed it Newt because at one point they had been abducted and held hostage on the planet wurzel.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need for heavy discards Steve, trawlers can avoid trawling for bass in shallow water where a large proportion of bass are under 40cm.

Or if they are going for (say) sole, trawl at 2 to 3 knots to avoid the bass and yet still catch sole etc.

Netting, if set properly and using the correct mesh sizes, is very selective and can be fished to avoid taking bass below 40cm.

There will always be a few unavoidable discards, but fishermen fishing irresponsibly, and taking large hauls of undersized bass, will not only bring the ire of bad publicity down on the industry, but risk the introduction of further restrictive measures (no trawling areas, no netting areas, further measures to govern the ratio of headrope to net length and twine diameter etc).

But what's the point of catching undersized fish that have to be discarded, reducing the possibility of future better catches of those fish when they are both sizeable and of greater value?

Time can better be spent fishing in places and ways where the catch is mostly over 40cm, and skilled fishermen can surely manage that.

Hi Leon

Your understanding of fishing methods and how discards are created is zero

steve

What would you suggest to minimise the discarding of bass below 40cm come April 6th Steve?

Hi Leon

Ask Dr Pawson what is the current rate and sizes of discards regarding the 36cm mls and what will be the total rate and size range when the mls goes up to 40cm

This information should have been provided in the decision making process

steve

Hi Leon

Ask Dr Pawson what is the current rate and sizes of discards regarding the 36cm mls and what will be the total rate and size range when the mls goes up to 40cm

This information should have been provided in the decision making process

steve

Hi Steve

I've asked this before and you didn't answer. How will the increase in MLS result in more bass being killed? Last year gill netters were allowed to use 90mm mesh and land anything over 36cm. This year they will have to use 100mm mesh and lands anything over 40cm. Was there a s terrible rate of discards last year? If there was, then nothings changed, and if there wasn't why do you think it'll happen this year? How come you manage to be selective with 36cm bass, but are unable to be selective with 40cm ones?

O.K, some bass under 40cm may be discarded if they are caught by trawlers, but how many under 36cm were discarded last year? Either way, whether they are landed or not they still end up dead. So how will the increase lead to the collapse of the stock like you say it will?

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I would think that this comming bass season more bass below the new mls will be caught and killed by un knowing anglers than by gill netters, if only on a local basis. Each year I see many anglers with undersized bass in their bucket or bag.

Please Please check this out!

http://www.justgiving.com/tacyedewick?ref=

I would think that this comming bass season more bass below the new mls will be caught and killed by un knowing anglers than by gill netters, if only on a local basis. Each year I see many anglers with undersized bass in their bucket or bag.

Hey dogs dont be surprised with the amount of prosicutions made by sfc's officers on anglers after april as i predict there will be quite a few this year.........

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly