Time to move on

Guest long-trotter

No offence newt (but you know I will ALWAYS say it as it is) but thats the trouble with you Americans, you can only see in black and white........you need to learn to read between the lines.

LT left because he felt offended (no idea by what as I didn't see what caused the trouble) but more than that, he felt let down by the mods.

Phil - I doubt I will ever take offense at honest opinions. Hope I won't anyway.

This was more a "Newt" than an "All Americans" thing.

If the gent in question had sent a PM expressing his concerns to me, I'd have answered him and most likely done things that would have suited him.

However, he chose to make a post that we were somehow required to see and required to answer and (can't be sure since it didn't happen) probably answer in a fashion that suited him. Quite frankly, that smacks of schoolyard bully tactics to me (although that really may be a cultural misunderstanding) and I never did respond pleasantly to those.

I do not read minds (Brit, American, or otherwise) so I do not know what the man was thinking and I'm really impressed that so many of you do know. I have never had the slightest desire to try this 'read between the lines' lark nor to play games trying to figure out what is really meant by comments that say a thing but are supposed to be taken to mean quite another. Call it a character flaw of mine if you wish.

I do read visible writing so I know what he said and the last thing was that he wanted out of here. Done and dusted.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good post that Newt. Told it as it is!

Paul

Gotta hand it to the man, just read it as I did too. And he did. I for one don't actually see why Newt should have to defend his position? And the offender if he CAN be called that? Probably won't, so as I see it no point in keeping harping on about it? Case closed, no further rhetoric required?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

going by some american (well 2) forums i have joined saying anything that wakes up anyone in the first 10 to join instantly results in being called a troll and unless you go on bended knee and appologise for saying something that differs from the clique veiw results in instant banning.

we have it slightly easier on AN but its bent rather to the case above rather than the more relaxed forums out there in which "differeing" views are tolerated more.

i have no problem with our kid glove approach on AN but would (my oppinion) like more tolerance in the posts contents,yes delete if the'r distinctly name calling between two individuals or plainly illegal or someone says about someone something that cannot be proved but mere arguments (or different oppinions) about daily ins and outs a little draconian ,(for example)its not illegal to talk of race, religeon or ethnic origins in a grown up manner (parliament do it every day) but saddly most get dragged down by being called a racist by someone with little more brains than to call anyone a racist if they dont happen to follow their way of thinking but lack the brains to put their own veiw on the subject forward.

the same applies to the conservation forum , and everything else that has two or more views ,people argue thats why things evolve if everyone agreed what a boring life we would lead.

you can always leave if you dont like whats being said or better still put your veiws forward in a manner that can be discussed openly unfortunately even the most splendid threads fully backed up with links (rarely mine though) are dragged down by some idiot picking on a single sentence rather than sitting back reading it correctly and actually wondering if

they are mistaken rather than the poster they are spitting bile at.

as i said i like AN and ofcourse stick with it because its attributes outweigh its faults.

i have had "warnings" in the past ,hopefully some will notice i'm not so quick to jump in nowadays ,i think, reject then jump

but with just one foot now ,chesters1 is still the nasty git he always was but i beat the wife instead of the keyboard now (err just joking)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Another thing to bear in mind, too, is that this is a fishing forum. The admin and moderators are far more likely to spend time 'assisting' an angling thread than one that has nothing to do with angling. There are thousands of sites specific to politics and the like. This section was supposed to be a bit of 'fun'.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

and usually it is sir (but maybe my fun is different to others) ;)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Newt did the right thing he closed the thread down.

The thread was started in good faith by LT and early post were good, then it went sour and racist.

Perhaps the offenders should have been suspended or permanently banned and facts published which would have cleared LT of any responsibility for what happened.

In the absence of that action he felt he had to disassociate himself from the forum to protect his integrity.

I am not sure if that action was needed or not, but it is a great shame that he is no longer here.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Face to face, over a pint, we simply wouldn't have these sorts of issues. We'd simply just smack someone in the mouth rather than have to write a lengthly reply....... :thumbs:

Seriously....... Communication is 60% body language, 30% tone of voice and only 10% is actual words used. Taking that into account, we can only ever use the 10% of our communication skills, or, if you're like me, about 5%! :2:

As moderators we get 'flagged' posts, emails, PM's to alert us to 'problems' (sometimes (most of the time!) dozens a day!) as well as ones we come across whilst tralling through the threads/posts. I really wish I could copy and paste some of the alerts, pm's, emails I get, on here, sometimes, just to give you all a little insight into what we have to deal with. On top of that, we've all got a day job, or day and night in my case. Us moderators are only human and we make decisions on what we see, in print, in front of us, and, on top of that, we're accountable for a our every action we make by other users of the forum, on demand. :huh:

I don't wish to sound condescending, but this is only a fishing forum, a place where we can swap ideas, casually chat and enjoy each others input, it's not the centre of the universe. Life's too short to fall out over this sort of thing. It's always sad to see people leave the forum, but if it's their wish, then so be it. Lets all take stock and move on.

In the case of LT; you obviously feel unhappy (don't we all from time to time), but please reconsider leaving AN. Doing the job you do must put life into perspective, from time to time - I certainly couldn't do your job, that's for sure, especially picking up the peices of an RTA! So, shouldn't that put things into perspective on here?.....it's only a forum after all! Pull up a chair, have a sip of your pint (if you're not driving), take a deep breathe and get back on this forum. :)

And while I'm here, there's something else I want to say; I'm getting a little peeved at the minor 'pops' at Newt, just because he's from a different continent. What the hell has him being American got to do with it?! Sorry, call me dim (actually don't!), but I can't see what the problem is.

Please, feel free to email me or PM me over any of the points I've made, I'm all ears, but don't let the rot set in. Saying that, fishing forums always go through a rough patch at this time of the year, mainly down to us fishermen being confined to DIY jobs due to the flooding or freezing of our liquid arena. Take myself for example, I've got wood and need laying - anyone know anything about laminate flooring?

Take care, all,

Garth.

OI OI,

My last word on this topic, all L.T.wanted to know was WHO PULLED THE TOPIC & WHY, but nobody seem's to have an answer but ONE of the mod's must have pulled it so WHY coulden't they tell him it would have been so SIMPLE.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite