Rod licences are going to be a disaster to angling as we know it

big_cod

I pay for a freshwater license every year. What do I personally get for my money? Absolutely nothing! In all my years of coarse fishing I have never seen the environment agency (or their predecessors) doing anything for my benefit. The rivers round here are undeniably cleaner, but that has nothing to do with fishing or the license, they had to clean them to satisfy EU directives or get hammered in fines. The only time I've seen obvious EA spending on fishing is on the rare occasions when I've gone salmon fishing. You see spending then alright, millions of pounds worth on weirs, fish passes, twice daily bailiffing etc etc.

I KNOW that the revenue from a sea license won't be used to improve my sport. It will be frittered away on pointless admin and paying staff to hassle anglers, when they should be snooping around commercial landings in the wee small hours with tape measures and cameras.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah well sad fact of life Peter, You've been to enough meetings with me to see just how I've misrepresented the views of anglers for my own selfish ends, and how I've underpinned the commercial fishermen with my hysterical anti-commercial views. :thumbs:

Perhaps it really is the time to let those in the know have a go, after all what do I know, I know nothing about angling (shore or boat) nothing about commercial fishing, nothing about boats, nothing about the marine environment or fish. I guess I was just deluding myself.

As I have now 'come out', its now time to disappear back into obscurity and crawl back under the rock from which I slithered a few years ago. :clap2::clap2:

I know exactly how you feel

I fish to live and live to fish.

What goes around, comes around.

The RSA reps claimed to represent millions of anglers and Flash Gordon's henchmen realised how much he could get with another tax, or so they thought!

The lower VAT take will not be replaced by the license take, in my opinion.

Write to your MP and tell him what you think. It's got to be voted through yet.

Find your MP here: http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alcm.cfm

Put up a poster at every angling venue you can think of and let every angler know what's going on.

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Guest challenge
Why do you need a rod licence to get bigger fish in the sea its just a complete load of ****s we have quotas in place to supposadly improve our fish stocks so what the hell paying for a licence is going to do it is just beyond beliefe licences will gain you nothing except a tax on angling in the sea i for one will not pay 1 pence to a into the coffers of this goverment for something that should be free for all and by the feed back i am getting there will be an armarda.

So the decline in angling had nothing to do with, blinders, fishing through the herring spawn, flattening all the hard ground off Whitby, massive horse power of today’s fleet. Trawling in prohibited areas, landing illegal black fish, after all then Paul.

Unfortunately now the real enemy has raised its head, the old enemy won’t have a lot of sympathy for your armada.

An armada that could have been one of real strength unity and experience.

Regards.

I have to agree with Roy Stubbs on this one. If the revenue is used to increase the fish stocks, whether by breeding programs, increased policing or research, this can only be a good thing. New taxes are always unpopular, but as someone said, rod licenses are a part of the deal for fresh water anglers, have been for years, and I can see no reason why the sea angler shouldn't join these ranks . If you look around northern Europe you'll find that this is not at all uncommon.

Moggy