Weight conversion

eaglet

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to find out how accurate my sets (4 of) of scales of different types from digital to spring balance type (in lbs/ozs) are. I thought of finding the weight of a pint of water then weigh it on the scales to give me a fairly accurate reading in pounds as measuring a pint of water can be done spot on. Any ideas of the pint to pounds question or does anyone have a better way of doing it. I can't afford weights and measures.

Cheers eaglet

getting an exact pint of water will prove far tougher than you imagine.

Why not take a simple thing like a bag of sugar which should weigh to within a couple of grams of what it states - 1kg which equates to 2.20462262 or pretty close to

2 lbs and 3 1/4 oz

For most practical purposes that should give you a decent guide

Just weighed a standard bag of sugar and it weighs in at 2 lb 3 1/2 oz (forgot about the weight of the bag!)

Edited by nick

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

The old rhyme is 'a pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter', but according to my calculator the figure is approx 1.25277.

When I check my scales I get a plastic bag (Tesco) and put various tins, bags of sugar etc in it. I then weigh the bag on the kitchen scales, which I assume are reasonably accurate. I then check the reading on my fishing scales. That way I can account for any zero error, and I can keep adding tins of baked beans to check the whole range of the scales.

john clarke

Weigh one of the big plastic milk bottles (full). They even have a handle to hang on the scales with. The weight will be written on the label (well actually the volume in millilitres but that's the same as the weight in grams.) The actual bottle wont weigh much in comparison.

Weigh one of the big plastic milk bottles (full). They even have a handle to hang on the scales with. The weight will be written on the label (well actually the volume in millilitres but that's the same as the weight in grams.) The actual bottle wont weigh much in comparison.

i think a pint is 538 mls which is 538 grammes which is 0.538 Kg

Edited by oneillbox

Buy some spuds/apple or whatever, and weigh them on the shop scales, then compare your own when you get home.

Shop scales are tested for accuracy by govt inspectors so should be spot on accurate.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic