Help desperately needed!

Janet

your covered by the tinternet "thinking" time giving you x days to cancel stuff ,best not to let kids have non-restrictive access so take it as a lesson ,ofcourse if your kid is over 18 let him bear the brunt

"These rip-off merchants seem to keep just the right side of the law on every occasion"

if they are on the right side of the law then their not rip of merchants ,remember "you" contacted them not the other way around ;)

the website is pretty clear its for adults (hense the age verification) and with adult media comes problems.

not the first to deliberately install nasty programs Channel 4 did it some time back and popup "reminders" a standard for many programs that need paying ,vitrification or registering

and you cant get clearer than this from their own website

"If there is a bill notice on your computer, you, or someone to whom you have given access to use your computer, has registered for membership to one of our websites and the subscription fee is now due.

In order to register for membership the computer user will have followed a prescribed signup process during which the user will have agreed to the terms and conditions to the membership for the site - this can be viewed at www.psignupprocess

Should you wish to discuss this membership please contact our customer services team"

they are not going to be easy to get rid of if "you" deliberately clicked continue without reading those T & C's before doing so when money is concerned!!!!

i suggest you stop kids having no parental control over them not using pc's ,bit horses bolts and doors now though

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My main grievance with this company is that we attempted to cancel membership within ten minutes of opening it, (well within their three day free trial period!) but the site wouldn't let us cancel. Every time I telephoned, I was told that their systems were down, and nobody could help.

We stuck to our side of the agreement, by trying to cancel - it was their system that wouldn't allow it.

Janet

probably deliberately Janet :mellow:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Corydoras!

I luuuurve you! You're my hero :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Ad-Aware seems to have resolved the problem (and for free too...)

So far as I can tell, all traces of their nasty, invasive little files has gone. However, knowing my luck, it may be back....fingers crossed? However, I've rebooted my PC several times, and upon doing a search, there's no sign of them.

Still, on the plus side, I've become a lot more technically competent in the last few days!

Now, can anyone recommend what steps I should take in the future to protect my PC against evil little vermin like Platte Media and their ilk?

Janet

leave it unplugged :D

Hi Cheekychops!!!!

I would love to leave the infernal thing unplugged, but unfortunately I have my newspaper angling column to be submitted for the middle of next week!

It's taken me every evening since last Saturday to try and get rid of this obnoxious company and their hi-jacking pop-ups. I hope folks reading this thread are aware of the problems caused by PLATTE MEDIA, and aren't naive enough to fall victim to it as we did....

Janet

Edited by Janet

Corydoras!

I luuuurve you! You're my hero :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Ad-Aware seems to have resolved the problem (and for free too...)

So far as I can tell, all traces of their nasty, invasive little files has gone. However, knowing my luck, it may be back....fingers crossed? However, I've rebooted my PC several times, and upon doing a search, there's no sign of them.

Still, on the plus side, I've become a lot more technically competent in the last few days!

Now, can anyone recommend what steps I should take in the future to protect my PC against evil little vermin like Platte Media and their ilk?

Janet

It was nothing. I suggest you create a non admin user on your pc. get your kids to log on as this user. it won't protect you from everything, but it would have stopped the platte media.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Unfortunately my son isn't a kid - he's pushing 30, so I really want him to have admin access, as he's part paid for the PC.

However, he now knows he's in mum's bad books, and has promised faithfully to be more careful in future!

Thanks everyone, for all your help. After a week of struggling, it was AnglersNet to the rescue yet again.

Janet

Unfortunately my son isn't a kid - he's pushing 30, so I really want him to have admin access, as he's part paid for the PC.

However, he now knows he's in mum's bad books, and has promised faithfully to be more careful in future!

Thanks everyone, for all your help. After a week of struggling, it was AnglersNet to the rescue yet again.

Janet

Hi Janet, it does not really matter how old or young you are. Surfing the net with full admin access is a bad idea. It means that any little bugs like the one you just had have full access to the system. system administrators on big networks always have two accounts; a system account and a normal user account. logging on with full system rights when not performing system admin duties is often a dismissable offence. I don't run any firewall or antivirus, but i sit behind a hardware firewall, and only login as admin when i want to do admin type chores. It's a good practice especially for the less tech savvy.

Just my two bits worth.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote