Help desperately needed!

Janet

Hi guys,

I've been searching the Internet for days trying to resolve this problem, and now I'm hoping that someone on here can help.

Whilst I was away on holiday, my son decided to sign up to a film site....I guess you know what's coming!

He tried to cancel it immediately he realised the costs involved, but the site froze and wouldn't let him cancel. I arrived back one day after the free three day trial ended, and after many attempts and several phone calls, finally managed to cancel it. Now, however, I get repeated pop up demands on my PC for payment of £29.99.

Platte Media, the company concerned, have installed files on my PC that I just can't delete, despite numerous attempts. Their annoying little icon keeps popping up on my desktop, and these on screen demands are driving me mad! Their customer service varies between non-existent and appalling.

Having googled this company, I see that along with thousands of others, I've unwittingly fallen victim to a scam, but Trading Standards are about as much use as a chocolate teapot. Apparently what they're doing is legal, although very underhand.

Is there anyone on the forum who's been through the same thing who can maybe help me get rid of these b**tards for good? Needless to say, they can whistle for their money. However, I am currently tearing my hair out with frustration that these crooks can hijack my PC like this....

Janet

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Download a free program called Hijackthis.

Run it and ask for it to create a log file.

Do not try to fix anything.

The log file will be a simple text file with contents that will make little to no sense to you.

Email me a copy of the log file and I'll get back to you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Janet

Michael Politt, investigative journalist for the Guardian would also like to hear from you. See the link below.

http://michaelpollitt.com/wordpress/?p=177

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Newt

It might be worth you having a look here.

http://www.theeasypc.co.uk/wordpress/?tag=platte-media

Janet

Don't try anything on here yourself yet, you may just make things worse. I have been reading about this outfit. Not nice people are they?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Newt, I tried that. It's downloaded a program called SpyDoctor, but I can't find how to get it to create a log file. It doesn't want to play out tonight....

It's also asking for money before it will work! (or am I missing something....?) I'm not about to sign up to anything at the moment after this experience! I can't begin to tell you how stressed I'm getting at the moment!

Corydoras, no, they ain't nice people. Their customer service line is just unbelievable. I may be naive, and not well versed in PC related stuff, but I work in a call centre and we would never countenance that sort of negative attitude and downright unhelpfulness. It's quite clear that they just want your money, and don't care how they get it. Well, they'll have a long wait for mine, as I'm not going to pay a penny. I hope they send someone to my door, so I can have the pleasure of t**tting someone directly....at the moment I am in "kill" mode.....

I've already seen the Guardian siite, and emailed him about the problem. I've also been in touch with just about every organisation you can think of, including my local MP. Personally I'd like to chop off their balls and use them as ground bait....

These rip-off merchants seem to keep just the right side of the law on every occasion.

Meanwhile, they have virtually hi-jacked my new PC, installed files without my knowledge or permission, and are now free to annoy me whenever they please..my sooper dooper new PC with broadband is now slowed to a crawl thanks to these mucking fuppets!

Janet

Janet is your nice new PC running Vista or XP?

Janet - that is NOT the right program. Don't take it as it will only make things worse.

Use this link to get the proper (and free) version of Hijackthis

http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-Hijack...4-10227353.html

Cory - thanks for that link. I will keep it in mind but also want to make sure no other little nasties have crept in unnoticed and HJT will reveal most of them so they can be disabled and will (usually) give at least a hint if there are others that need finding and removing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Janet - that is NOT the right program. Don't take it as it will only make things worse.

Use this link to get the proper (and free) version of Hijackthis

http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-Hijack...4-10227353.html

Cory - thanks for that link. I will keep it in mind but also want to make sure no other little nasties have crept in unnoticed and HJT will reveal most of them so they can be disabled and will (usually) give at least a hint if there are others that need finding and removing.

Newt, The latest and greatest version of Adaware will kill it, according to a post on this forum

http://forums.pcw.co.uk/message.jspa?messageID=1052411

Ad-Aware is here:

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2008/3000...cdlPid=10844457

Janet

I suggest that if you receive any correspondence from this outfit that you take them to your local Trading Standards Office. You can Google for this but if you don't know already they are currently under observation by Trading Standards.

you could always try Spybot

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Dest...cdlPid=10861988

totally free and always worth a first attempt

This one is a real b, I've been reading up on it and the company behind it, go and have a wee Google for Platte Media, but don't visit their website ;)