Best fish

jimmyh

Hi,

I thought id take this opportunity to ask an interesting question!

What is the best fish you have caught and how did you catch it?

This will hopefully help myself and other people increase their knowledge on how to catch specimen fish! I'll start it off.

My best fish is a Rudd of 2lb 1oz caught on bread flake close to the surface on a mid-summers day. Over to you.....

Please visit my blog at http://jimmysfishing.blogspot.com

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

helo jimmyh

my best fish is the one i caught today a 4 nd a half lb common carp lovely it was

i caught it using just a hook and two large splitshot with bread

mike finlay the carpinator

My Best Fish was caught on a summers day about 4 o clock it was raining but still very hot

wen i got to the destination i caught a 10lb common carp on flooting bread on the surface just by tying a size 10 hook to the mainline on the same day i caught 10 more carp all on the same bait/method and then the whacker came my biggest fish.. i saw it in the margins suckin on a crisp packet or somthing and so i dropped my bait VERY carefully next to his mouth and it just turned round and sucked it in whole it was a pristine mirror carp of 13lb and after that i went on to catch another nice ghostcarp of 7lb it was a red letter day for me :thumbs:

tight lines jay

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

Guest tigger

My biggest fish was a £26 lb common Carp. My best fish (one of my most enjoyable days fishing ) were some super looking / fighting Grayling last Autum on the Eden. It was the first time I had ever fished for them and I was totally made up at the end of the day.

My best fish?

I'd have to say it was the first I ever caught in around 1950 - after what seemed like about a years worth of enthusiastic blanks. (probably only a few weeks tho'!)

That tiny Perch fueled me up for the next 50 odd years, enthusiasm's running a bit lower now tho' - maybe it's about time I caught me another one..................

Cheers

Barry

Bloomin heck Jimmy thats not only one of the most often asked questions but definately one of the hardest to answer! Im not even sure we all quantify "best" in the same way!

Its that hard a question I cant even remember what I put last time the question was asked!

I remember one famous angler (cant remember which one though!) said-

At first an angler wants to catch a fish,any fish!

Then he wants to catch the most!

Later he wants to catch the biggest!

Untill ultimately it is the hardest to catch that he wants!

I suppose thats why anglers of different experiences would have different criteria for "best". I will look up what Ive put in the past out of curiosity but at the moment I feel my "best fish" would have to be the one that not only excited me the most (and that gets harder the more you catch) but also "rewarded" me (and my regular fishing partner at the time) for a lot of hard work.It was also totally unexpected. The additional fact that it was (at the time) a national record didnt really influence it.

That fish would have to be my first ever big cat from Spain the story of its capture that Ive most likely bored youall silly with over the years!!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Carphead 07 - a 4 1/2lb common is always a good fish mate, especially when you have tried hard on a cold day!

Ferret 1959 - A 6lb chub is a smashing fish, keep up the good work (my best is about 2lb!)

Bass head - Its always good to catch one of the surface - especially one that size!

Tigger - my best carp was 12lb, so less than half of what you have had! Grayling are superb fighters, and always a pleasure to catch (especially on a still cold winters day)

Barry Kneller - The first fish you catch is always the most memorable. My first was in Lincolnshire (im a boro lad by the way) and it was a roach that i was too scared to hold. But i will never forget it!

Budgie - apologies - i accept it will often be asked but it provokes such interest! - fantastic story though, i presume it was the river Ebro?

Keep the stories rolling!

Please visit my blog at http://jimmysfishing.blogspot.com

for me its the suprise fish.the ones that you never knew existed in the water your fishing.

I havent been fishing long, but its between a roach of about a pound, from the middle of what i thought was a shoal of all dace of about 2oz average.

or a trout that was close to 2lb in a stream that i was told only held fish to 1lb

both were nice suprises :rolleyes:

So difficult to answer after 50 years of the sport...but if I'm to chose according to "Knee-tremble factor" Must be late evening at one of my favourite summer codling venues near my home by Oslo Fjord. I treated it like my personal larder...you had to be a real dumbo not to be able to score supper for the family. I only had three or spinners with me and lost all but one to the rocks and kelp. I mounted the remaining blue Toby Slim and began steering it through the obstacle course, when "BANG!#%&@$#"...the lure was hit with a force that a cod could never muster...surely a nice pollock! It was when the silver freight train broke the surface with a violent shaking of the head that I realised it was a sea trout....which is precisely when I got the adrenalin injection and my knees started to tremble. An eternity later, a kind wave picked the struggling beast up and deposited it at my feet on the rock I was standing on. 6 lbs of threshing sea trout! My very first, which lead to an obsession with the species! Got to be my best fish, despite pike of near 30 lbs and wreck-cod at 28!

Moggy