Outlook Express

Ok i use msn messenger a fair bit......

when an e-mail arrives (whilst i am on-line) with msn messenger it pops up in corner of screen with an audible plip plop

Is ir possible to set something similar with Outlook Express (instead of me clicking in there everytime i'm waiting for a message)

i'm not too bothered about the pop up so much , but a sound of some sort would be ok

From what i can make out oe gives you some sort of option to do this anyway..........but i'm damned if i can sort it

Any help from the pros out there........ :thumbs:

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Ok i use msn messenger a fair bit......

when an e-mail arrives (whilst i am on-line) with msn messenger it pops up in corner of screen with an audible plip plop

Is ir possible to set something similar with Outlook Express (instead of me clicking in there everytime i'm waiting for a message)

i'm not too bothered about the pop up so much , but a sound of some sort would be ok

From what i can make out oe gives you some sort of option to do this anyway..........but i'm damned if i can sort it

Any help from the pros out there........ :thumbs:

Advice from a pro, don't use Outlook Express. Use Thunderbird, use eudora (it becomes Open Source after 30 April), use pegasus mail, use pidegeons in preference to Outlook Express.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Guest Ferret1959
Advice from a pro, don't use Outlook Express. Use Thunderbird, use eudora (it becomes Open Source after 30 April), use pegasus mail, use pidegeons in preference to Outlook Express.

Why?

Te, hee!! ^_^

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

thanks for the replies lads but............

anyone have any ideas how to sort my problem?

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

having not used outlook express for many years it is only a vague memory, but somewhere in your email account settings there is an option to play a sound when new mail arrives. It is quite straight forward.

Check OE help - it should point you in the right direction.

But quite seriously the advice you have been given to ditch outlook express is the very best advice possible. It is a security nightmare.

Thunderbird is very easy to use, and if you really want to you can even make it look like Outlook express.

You can download it from here and if you do, why not get firefox too!

Nick

...life

what's it all about...?

Guest Ferret1959
having not used outlook express for many years it is only a vague memory, but somewhere in your email account settings there is an option to play a sound when new mail arrives. It is quite straight forward.

Check OE help - it should point you in the right direction.

But quite seriously the advice you have been given to ditch outlook express is the very best advice possible. It is a security nightmare.

Thunderbird is very easy to use, and if you really want to you can even make it look like Outlook express.

You can download it from here and if you do, why not get firefox too!

Just downloaded T/bird.

I will say how simple it was to set up, nearly nowt to it.

Thanks for the link Nick.

Oh and works with Mailwasher just incase anyone uses MW. :)

thanks for the replies lads but............

anyone have any ideas how to sort my problem?

I don't use Outlook Express either, but to make it do what you want:

Click the Tools menu, then select Options.

On the first tab ("General"), in the "Send / Receive Messages" section the first check box says "Play sound when messages arrive". Make sure this is clicked and all should be peachy.

That's for Outlook Express 6 anyway - don't know if there's a later version.

D