cyclists

Andy_1984

3rd party insurance should be made compulsary.

Cyclist ID should be used as opposed to bike reg.

If the cyclist was to be made wear a high vis vest(H&S) with a number then any seen or caught breaking the law could be traced.

Correct lights should be used too, flashing ones are against the law.

16 and over before road use should be enforced.

Oh and I see they are bringing the cycling proficency test/scheme back.

Bloody good idea and ALL cyclists should be make to take the test before road use.

And yes I do cycle and would follow the above if made law. :)

The police are really slipping with cyclists, just think how much they could earn in fines. :lol: :lol:

It appears the law has changed on flashing lights see2005 vehicle law ammendment

Edited by snakey1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All cyclists should be insured, and made to pass the equivilent of the motorcycle CBT ... And be subject to the same laws as other road users.

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Well now that was clear simple reading. :mellow::mellow:

thats what i thought but then it is a document of law so what did you expect plain english? , the bit you need to look at is ammendments to regulation 13 which is no.6 i believe

and here is a link to the law that it is an ammendment tovehicle law :thumbs: it might make it all clearer

Edited by snakey1

I am still in favour of road tax and registration for cyclists for the following reasons:

1 - A six year old on a bike on a public road is asking for trouble, not only could he get hurt, who will pay if he damages another car? If the parents are prepared to allow it it, then THEY pay the road tax AND take responsibility!

2 - while there are really good cyclists there are also some really bad cyclists, ignoring roadsigns and traffic lights etc., texting while cycling, no hand signals,wobbling all over the road while racing a mate etc. etc. etc. Having some sort of recognition would allow these bad cyclists to be fined or taken off the road or whatever action the courts decide.

3 - We can but hope that as registered road user the police will start to take action!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

texting while cycling

Saw that only recently!

no hand signals
Haven't seen one for years. Well, not the sort you mean!

3 - We can but hope that as registered road user the police will start to take action!

If it can't be policed by camera, it won't be policed at all. You can drive like a complete idiot in a car these days, and as long as you aren't speeding you'll not be bothered by the police.

I am still in favour of road tax and registration for cyclists for the following reasons:

1 - A six year old on a bike on a public road is asking for trouble, not only could he get hurt, who will pay if he damages another car? If the parents are prepared to allow it it, then THEY pay the road tax AND take responsibility!

2 - while there are really good cyclists there are also some really bad cyclists, ignoring roadsigns and traffic lights etc., texting while cycling, no hand signals,wobbling all over the road while racing a mate etc. etc. etc. Having some sort of recognition would allow these bad cyclists to be fined or taken off the road or whatever action the courts decide.

1: your talking about insurance here not road tax, road tax(actually Vehicle Excise Duty) is to help pay for the construction and maintenance of the public highways(and the amount of damage done to the highway by a bicycle is negligable you probably cause more wear and tear walking across the road), you can get insurance now if you want for your bike and a lot of people who ride expensive bikes (CTC members especially) or couriers will already have it.

2: all of the the bad cycling comments can also be made about bad drivers and there is one big difference if you hit a car with a cycle chances are only you will be hurt if you hit another car with a car chances are both parties will be hurt or killed, cars are lethal weapons in the wrong hands far more so than cycles.As for taking dangerous cyclists off the road how many times do drivers show up in court who are banned, have never held a licence or have no insurance tax or mot and then leave court and carry on driving regardless quite a few times i think so if banning a car driver doesnt work what makes you think banning a cyclist will.

3.being a registered road user makes no difference the police have the power to act upon dangerous cyclists now(and should do) however whether the police chose to deal with all but the most dangerous cases is up to them not the cyclists.

1: your talking about insurance here not road tax, road tax(actually Vehicle Excise Duty) is to help pay for the construction and maintenance of the public highways(and the amount of damage done to the highway by a bicycle is negligable you probably cause more wear and tear walking across the road),

That may be what it used to be for, now it's just another arbitrary tax that goes into the chancellor's pot, with no relationship to wear and tear. The amount of damage a vehicle does to the road increases massively with weight (vehicle weight divided by number of axles, raised to the power of four), so although bikes would be too cheap to charge, lorries would be a lot more than they are now. A BMW 535D (1723kg, currently £205 a year VED) would cost 28 times as much as a Lotus Elise (750kg, currently also £205 a year VED). Overall, taxes from VED and fuel duty absolutely dwarf the costs of maintaining the road network.

Edited by Steve Walker

Andy never mind the cyclists i was sitting at a set of traffic lights yesterday after pulling out to pass a 4 wheeled electric invalid buggy.

it then pulled out to pass me stopped for 1 or 2 seconds then drove off through the red light what a tosser , the old guy on it would have been wiped out

if the arctic coming from the left of the cross roads had not done an emergency stop ,

unfortunately no reg plate on it but it did have indicators and brake lights.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif