cyclists

Andy_1984

driving lesson last night a cyclist ripped past me at the lights going through a red he was inches from disaster when the other lane was good to go someone pulls out, now if somthing had happened who do you think would have been to blame ?

had a discussion with my instructor about it and he made a realy valid point of, most cyclists dont think they should obey the red light and just go for it. my thought was they should have regy plates and pay road tax if they use them ? sounds silly i know but think about it. we pay through the nose for the rights to use the roads why dont cyclists ? and when a cyclist gets knocked down we are to blame. who pays for the cycle lanes aswel ? no doubt your road tax does.

most probably theres a lot of cyclists on here id like to hear your views on this.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how would 6 year old kids afford to pay road tax?

Plates on bikes would be plain silly, take MINE for instance, the less sharp point bits the better if you wash out on a down hill.

You'll find its the local authority who funds cycle lanes in an effort to cut conjestion by proving the roads are a safe place to commute (which is rubbish), the ammount of young drivers who rip through lights is more of a problem.

And dont get me started on bloody bells!

Edited by rich

Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail

I have no quarrel with the individual cyclist going about his business. I do however object to:

riding without lights at night (didn't that used to be an offence?)

Riding on the pavement ( I'm sure that was an offence as well)

Ignoring traffic signs and signals (including traffic lights)

Riding mountain bikes on country footpaths (notice the name "FOOTpath"!!!!)

mobs of 20 or 30 cyclists riding 3 abreast down country roads (Do the lycra shirts give them special dispensation ?)

Using public roads as race tracks (which they do around here every week end )

As I say, I have nothing against cyclists :rolleyes:

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

And how would 6 year old kids afford to pay road tax?

Should six-year-olds really be cycling on main roads anyway? Actually, legally speaking, is there anything stopping these six-year-olds sharing roads with HGVs? Is there a minimum age for cycling on public highways or is it just a case that as long as you can manage without stabilisers you'll be OK?

Riding on the pavement ( I'm sure that was an offence as well)

It is, but the police don't care. I saw a teenager on a bike, without lights, after dark, cycle from one pavement to the other via a zebra crossing. A police traffic car actually stopped at the crossing to let him do it, and didn't bat an eyelid.

I've no problem treating cyclists with respect and consideration when I'm in my car. I have a big problem with cyclists who don't offer me the same when I'm on foot. For cycling on pavements, ignoring red lights or, worse still, failing to stop at pedestrian crossings and barging through pedestrians, I would impose the same penalty that is now being applied to uninsured cars; straight in the crusher with it.

you would let a six year old on the roads ? we dont get on the roads till we are 16 why should anyone be any diffrent.

there are some works underway to refurb my neighbourhood, on a pavement there are those big barriers like chicken wire stuff but larger which take up half the pavement while they work on the other half of it leaving only enough room for 1 and a half pedestrians to get through (the half a pedestrian needs to turn sideways to get by) before this tight squeeze there is a sign "Cyclists Dismount" they never do one day a guy went by me about 20 mph i could feel him brush against me as he went by. it aint nice being hit by a bycycle its happened before.

rich, an oval plate then, would that sort it ?

my point on this thread was basicly they should pay road tax for using the roads, and now they aint as inocent as made to believe

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I used to cycle into work (a round trip of approx 10 miles down some of the busiest routes in birmingham) but i don't anymore the amount of times i came close to being taken out by lunatics in cars paying no attention to the highway code or any other road user for that matter was unbelievable.I personnelly disagree with cycling on the pavement and never used to but i can understand why people do.the amount of nutters on the road in cars and vans who seem to have the spacial awareness of a housebrick and the intelligence of same said brick amazes me.

As for taxing cycles you may as well tax the pedestrian for the amount of wear a cycle causes to the road.

A better idea IMO would be to ban anyone under the age of 25 from driving a car and allow them access to motorbikes only, this would cut down on the congestion and make younger people more aware of both cyclists and bikers when they reached an age when they could drive a car (doesn't help with the dozy older drivers i admit).

for an interesting read on cycling and the law seecycling and the law

A better idea IMO would be to ban anyone under the age of 25 from driving a car and allow them access to motorbikes only, this would cut down on the congestion and make younger people more aware of both cyclists and bikers when they reached an age when they could drive a car

It would certainly help reduce the surplus population, given how yoofs on scooters and a significant proportion of adult motorcyclists ride.

Guest Ferret1959

3rd party insurance should be made compulsary.

Cyclist ID should be used as opposed to bike reg.

If the cyclist was to be made wear a high vis vest(H&S) with a number then any seen or caught breaking the law could be traced.

Correct lights should be used too, flashing ones are against the law.

16 and over before road use should be enforced.

Oh and I see they are bringing the cycling proficency test/scheme back.

Bloody good idea and ALL cyclists should be make to take the test before road use.

And yes I do cycle and would follow the above if made law. :)

The police are really slipping with cyclists, just think how much they could earn in fines. :lol: :lol:

It would certainly help reduce the surplus population, given how yoofs on scooters and a significant proportion of adult motorcyclists ride.

Its still a good thing in my opinion then as helping get rid of some of the more moronic elements of society is a bonus i hadn't thought of :D:D .