Crayfish and crabs...

Unimexsol

What should one do with them if you catch them? Kill them or return them? In particular I'm talking about the Signal crayfish and the Chinese Mitten crab both of which are not native to the canal where I'm fishing but both of which seem to be thriving.

Ps I'm not going to be eating either!

I dunno about the crabs but as I remember from our last discussion of the crays, the rules bite each other and if you follow all the rules, there is absolutely no way you can do anything with them. Can't kill them, put them back, eat them, use them for bait, take them home, whatever.

I think if you can manage to have the cray fly away under it's own power you will be OK. Otherwise it seems you are supposed to spend the rest of your life standing there holding the thing.

Hopefully you will get some more practical answers to a very good question.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil
What should one do with them if you catch them? Kill them or return them? In particular I'm talking about the Signal crayfish and the Chinese Mitten crab both of which are not native to the canal where I'm fishing but both of which seem to be thriving.

If you are fishing with a buddy, you may consider dropping a couple in his tackle bag! :spiteful:

They MUST be killed - if you release them alive you are actually committing an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act (under provisions relating to Alien Species).

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I think prawn or scampi would be a better description, but you can use them in Indian or Chinese cuisine or indeed with any sauce you can come up with and I dont mean tomato ketchup or daddies.

Not quite like prawns to be sure but good ones should taste better. How did you cook them?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President