COD CRISIS WHAT COD CRISIS

big_cod

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike you say thoses guys wont use thoses few fish the guy on the right has 10 kids and the guy on the left has 12 they have a lot of moths to feed now come on . :D

regards

paul.

22 bread snappers between them how do they find the time or the cash for a days charter fishing :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

One year to put right 40 years of overfishing. :rolleyes:

Mike i wish you were right but unfortuatly it isnt the case it will take decades if not not longer there still some very good cod fishing not the 20lb fish which were once thick on the groud but some really nice cod fishing probably far better size fish than thoses you get from your chippy why not have a day out with me on sea-otter2 come as my guest and sea what just what there is on offer. :D

regards

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Are the fish in that photo 5 to 10lb? they look 3 to 6lb to me, and we thought Whitby was the cod mecca of the UK!

We could top that hear in the Thames Estuary with lots of 3lb fish a fair flutter of 5 to 8lb fish and a fair to middling chance of a 15 to 20lb.

But this I do not concider to be good cod fishing. As a lad I would often catch 30 cod from 5 to 15lb from the bow of my Dads charter boat, but those days are long gone.

THE COD ARE IN CRISIS! and with a mls of only 35 cm I see little hope for them. This is a ridiculous mls for such a fast growing fish.

Chartering in some ways is not dissimilar to commercial fishing. Men with boats, trying to make a living from the sea.

Commercial fishing is all about catching fish in order to pay the boat expenses and general running expenses - like repairs and items to be renewed i.e. broken or new engines - and then to make a living for your crew and yourself.

Chartering is all about catching fish in order to get customers to return or convince new or future customers to spend money with you, in order to pay the boat expenses and general running expenses - like repairs and items to be renewed i.e. broken or new engines - and then to make a living for your crew and yourself.

In today's failing inshore charter industry, one has to use whatever means one can to enhance business in order to stay in business. The operative thing being that business and conservation don't always go hand in hand.

JB

Edited by John and Michele

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

Mike i wish you were right but unfortuatly it isnt the case it will take decades if not not longer there still some very good cod fishing not the 20lb fish which were once thick on the groud but some really nice cod fishing probably far better size fish than thoses you get from your chippy why not have a day out with me on sea-otter2 come as my guest and sea what just what there is on offer. :D

regards

paul.

A very kind offer Paul, thank you, a bit too far to travel though.

Guest challenge
Chartering in some ways is not dissimilar to commercial fishing. Men with boats, trying to make a living from the sea.

Commercial fishing is all about catching fish in order to pay the boat expenses and general running expenses - like repairs and items to be renewed i.e. broken or new engines - and then to make a living for your crew and yourself.

Chartering is all about catching fish in order to get customers to return or convince new or future customers to spend money with you, in order to pay the boat expenses and general running expenses - like repairs and items to be renewed i.e. broken or new engines - and then to make a living for your crew and yourself.

In today's failing inshore charter industry, one has to use whatever means one can to enhance business in order to stay in business. The operative thing being that business and conservation don't always go hand in hand.

JB

I believe that is true John.

I don’t see anything wrong in that do you?

Or does it become wrong when you forget to mention that you are in total denial of your own hypocrisy?

Regards.