braided lines

cobra

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better get the wallet ready then....it isn't cheap is it!

Initially no but as braid isnt affected by UV light you dont have to replace it every season like mono.I have some spools (on reels that is) of braid which Im still using after many years.

Some good deals available on the internet but best place to get a bulk spool from is the US.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I've tried braid, on the 'pin Budgie. Just couldn't get used to it, it didn't feel right somehow.

Probably stuck in my ways, I much prefer mono. It's personal thing I suppose. :)

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

As mentioned in other threads, I am a PP user. I have switched to it and find that it is useful in all but one situation. That is FLOAT fishng because it does not sink readily. In every other situation that I have used it, I am TOTALLY Satisfied! As Budgie stated, the poor techniques of many and the accidental occaision that may occur will be the problem with it. If it is banned on a water, then you will need to use mono, but if not then you are better prepared, at least with your line, to deal with the fish. Your terminal tackle will be brought into question along with the drag of your reel. A statement was made by someone on yesterdays read that hold credence. "The reel and the terminal tackle will catch you more fish than the rod in the right hands." Add to this a LINE that has strength above its size and you have uped your ODDS by 10+. This is all my opinion, but many others share it.

HOPPY4

HOPPY

I've tried braid, on the 'pin Budgie. Just couldn't get used to it, it didn't feel right somehow.

Probably stuck in my ways, I much prefer mono. It's personal thing I suppose. :)

John.

Yes I can understand the personal preference thing mate.I just love the floating and non stretch properties that give me so much better control when trotting.

Even though I use it for most of my fishing now it certainly isnt the be all and end all though.Still prefer mono for some situations.

Out of interest what make and BS braid did you try on your pin?

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

All those posting on this thread are the type of people that braid would be no problem for!

You get the problem when the youngsters (with little or no experience) buy braid and use it the same as mono line, BUT BRAID DOES NOT STRETCH!

The strike into a 3lb carp the same way they do with Mono, which is a forgiving line, cutting or tearing through the fishes mouths, and then wonder why they are "losing" so many fish.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Yes I can understand the personal preference thing mate.I just love the floating and non stretch properties that give me so much better control when trotting.

Even though I use it for most of my fishing now it certainly isnt the be all and end all though.Still prefer mono for some situations.

Out of interest what make and BS braid did you try on your pin?

To be honest Budgie, I can't remember the make, it's a few years ago now. I loaded up from a mates bulk spool, just to give it a go. The BS was about 8lb I think. I tried it for a half dozen sessions, but went back to my old faithful Bayer Perlon. I've been using that for about 30 years, and it's never let me down, so the 'confidence' thing comes into play. It suits me and my style of fishing, so I never bothered trying anything else after that time.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Initially no but as braid isnt affected by UV light you dont have to replace it every season like mono.I have some spools (on reels that is) of braid which Im still using after many years.

Some good deals available on the internet but best place to get a bulk spool from is the US.

Sounds good

Tacklebargains have quite a good selection of braids which are reasonably cheap....I'm really looking for floating stuff for drifter fishing as I can really see the advantage of that with not having to grease up mono.

Edited by Neil G

Guest tigger
Sounds good

Tacklebargains have quite a good selection of braids which are reasonably cheap....I'm really looking for floating stuff for drifter fishing as I can really see the advantage of that with not having to grease up mono.

I think that Power pro will suit you, it's very low diameter and floats well.

I use PP on my carp reels and I have found it is almost neutral, it will stay down if you fish tight, even at long range in shallow (3/4ft) of water. I did use a cheap bulk make, but that really did float, appearing on the surface half way out :)

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic