Big Wild Boar?

Dan

Awesome beasts but nothing I'd want to face unless I had a large caliber rifle handy.

A bit like my wife, then :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Those pictures, as far as I can see are doctored - have a very careful look at them and see what I mean. Why are they ALWAYS behind the animal and not next to it, or in front!

You mean, like this, KB? This is from ORSTRAYLYA :thumbs:

post-8845-1180348712_thumb.jpg

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Awesome beasts but nothing I'd want to face unless I had a large caliber rifle handy.

Hunting in NSW (with .22 rifles), a hatchet was carried tucked in the belt in case of being charged by a wild pig.

Theory was that you stood your ground and stepped aside at the last moment, swiping the pig with the hatchet behind the head as it flew passed.

I often wondered about that.

Pretty much sure that I'd be running for the nearest tree in such an event.

However, the large hatchet tucked into the belt looked pretty cool though, as did the bowie knife in the belt and the long stilletto, strapped to the lower leg, ready to do battle with any angry old big red that was up for a punch up.

(big red = old and grumpy kangeroo)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Pigs were taken back to the cars and hung by the hind leg from a convenient tree for skinning.

One of the most bizarre sights I ever remember is the sight of sun bleached pig skeletons hanging like fruit from the trees around the area, remnants of previous hunting expeditions.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

ooer Elton!! Rather thee than I??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

I read that you have some wild populations in the South of England now after them being extinct over there for several hundred years. We may start reading of some confrontations with people as the hog population grows. Awesome beasts but nothing I'd want to face unless I had a large caliber rifle handy.

Yep we got them in Dorset after they escaped from a farm. We had porcupines and wallabies too but not sure if they are still about!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

That lad is on his haunches? well back and if you look closely at the arms where they are folded, you will find your "fuzziness"

Now look at the piccy again and compare it to pic 3 in Yorkios pics - look at the head, particularly the log under the head - it has changed size!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

That lad is on his haunches? well back and if you look closely at the arms where they are folded, you will find your "fuzziness"

Now look at the piccy again and compare it to pic 3 in Yorkios pics - look at the head, particularly the log under the head - it has changed size!

My guess is that its a real pic just taken it to make look big, like holding a fish towards the camera................... ooooooooooooooh that makes me cross!!

Dan

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

i have to say i agree with one comments about the fact the boar was shot 8 times with what i presume is one of the new smith and wesson .500 revolvers and then tracked for 3 hours before finally being dispatched with a ninth shot, I thought the point was to take the animal down with as few shots as quickly and as cleanly as possible and that unless you are relatively sure of a killing shot then you don't take the shot. cape buffalo have been taken cleanly with one shot from large calibre handguns(.475 & .500 linebaugh) so killing this size of animal cleanly with a handgun is possible but requires skill and discipline not just "plugging" away.