Knots...

FishyFraser

Over the years I've tried and failed to teach others how to tie a knot I really like

knot1.jpg

So I've settled on a knot that is basically excellent for every purpose other than hair rigging a hook. Some of the old timers here have seen it before (and I suspect, have started using it but wanted to keep it a secret).

knot2.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely brilliant Newt, I can honestly say I've never seen that one illustrated more clearly.

PS. I agree with Budgie, learn one (grinner or uni) and learn it properly, so you can tie it in the dark (or when your eyes don't work properly any more like mine!) The surgeon's knot can only be used for the one application, which is adding a short length of line to the end of another one, so obviously is of limited use. It is the neatest and quickest one for that job though!

Edited by ColinW

Very good Newt, now I've got to put some sellotape in my tackle box as well. :):clap:

I think a couple of things that can also make a difference is what you fish for and how you fish.

Most of my fishing is for barbel and if there is one species that will find a weakness in your tackle it's barbel.

A blood knot will probably give no problems fishing for roach and dace when sensible tackle is rarely under any great strain but if you put that same knot in float tackle for barbel you are asking for trouble.

The other point is that some anglers fish with a lightly set clutch and never really test their tackle to the limits, personally I don't give a fish any line at all, if they want it they have to take it and I have to know that my knots will hold under those conditions.

I'm saying that if I tied up the rig they would both be Palomars.

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

How do you tie the second Palomar, Newt ? ...and if your answer is "the same way as the first Palomar" then we must be talking about two different knots.

The characteristic of the Palomar as I know it, is that at the final stage before tightening, you pass the hook, swivel or "whatever" THROUGH THE LOOP formed by doubling the line.

If the "whatever" is a large lure or a rig, then you have a problem - not an insoluble one, but awkward (you need to make the loop very large), and wasteful of line.

...and in the extreme case, if you have already tied the swivel to your main line (with a Palomar) you now have line, rod and reel attached to one end of the swivel - then how do you tie a trace to the other end of the swivel if you wish to use a second Palomar ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

How do you tie the second Palomar, Newt ? ...and if your answer is "the same way as the first Palomar" then we must be talking about two different knots.

More likely talking about different rigs or different bits Vagabond.

With lures, I fish most of them with a swivel on the end of the line and attaching that to the lure. For the few styles where I want mainline to lure I just put up with wasting a few inches of line. If I needed to use wire traces I might have to rethink things but I don't.

About the only fishing I do with pre-made rigs is carping and for that, I just tie a barrel swivel to the top end of the hooklength when making up the rig and that will work with a palomar tie to the mainline if you are careful.

If I fished in the UK with the pike and the many species that need bait & wait tactics I would probably have to greatly modify quite a few things.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President