Strength of knots

The Flying Tench

Well well! I've just looked around the web and it turns out the knot I've always called a grinner is actually a uni knot! So, I've never used a grinner.

That means my last however many posts on the subject are all wrong...whoops :headhurt:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some sites claim the Grinner and the Uni are the same, some sites claim the Grinner has a few turns up the mainline before the loop is formed and other sites claim the Grinner differs from the Uni by the extra turn of line through the eye. It's all very confusing and not very conclusive.

From what I can gather, I'm tying a Uni, as described on Power Pro's site. I think I'll stick to that version since it's never let me down. The Grinner with the turns up the mainline looks a bit bulky and messy. I don't think I'll be adopting that version.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Some sites claim the Grinner and the Uni are the same, some sites claim the Grinner has a few turns up the mainline before the loop is formed and other sites claim the Grinner differs from the Uni by the extra turn of line through the eye. It's all very confusing and not very conclusive.

From what I can gather, I'm tying a Uni, as described on Power Pro's site. I think I'll stick to that version since it's never let me down. The Grinner with the turns up the mainline looks a bit bulky and messy. I don't think I'll be adopting that version.

Yes I agree Andy lots opf confusion over what are both in escence the same knot but just tied differently!

The turns up the line of a grinner actually "disapear" when the knot is pulled tight Andy so no extra bulk is there.I cant tell any difference between thetwo knots when tightened.As said its just that in some heavier/stiffer nylons the line will kink slightly if not carefull with these turns.

Barry its interesting that you brought up the buisness of amount of turns.Its normally refered to as a four turn grinner in this country but most US anglers insist on using five......Ive never found it to make any difference (practically) either way!Maybe another area you could look in to with your tests?

Anderoo etc I dont think it really matters exactly what youve been tying/calling it as long as it works!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The number of turns made little difference to me either. The knot is really forming a sliding clinch of sorts, so surely the number of turns is of little consequence.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

One more thing to be tested perhaps?

Budgie I couldn't agree more - it works, that's all that matters.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

So, looks like Half Blood and it's variations, Grinner, Uni, Palomar, Rapala knot - any more?

Won't be doing any tests for at least a few weeks, planning to get some fishing in as well as de-rubbishing the workshop.....

I think that list is fine, except you mentioned the knotless knot earlier - might be worth including.

john clarke

Yup. Switch to a palomar. Never kinks.

:D :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

So, looks like Half Blood and it's variations, Grinner, Uni, Palomar, Rapala knot - any more?

So, Half Blood and it's variations, Grinner, Uni, Palomar, Rapala knot - PLUS palomar.

Duly amended...........

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've done a few more tests with my 6lb Bayer Perlon, and it is all very strange. I soaked the line for about an hour, and fully expected it to become weaker, but it became stronger. And when the line dried off it became stronger still! So whereas a couple of weeks ago, with dry line (apart from moistening the knot) the half blood and uni knots broke at 3.5 - 4 lbs, when the line was soaked they broke at 5.5 - 6lbs, and then when it had dried again they broke at around 7lbs! All the knots were the same (ie close to 6lbs), though I haven't tried the rapala yet, and I've realised it won't be possible to do the knotless knot on my set-up as I am tying the line to a swivel.

I don't know what to make of this. I have nearly finished the line, so will repeat the tests with some different line when I get a chance. Meanwhile it will be interesting to see what Barry comes up with.

john clarke