WHITBY COD BONANZA

clem

Guest challenge

Happy dude.

It was you who first mentioned scarbourgh and your assumptions of illegal undersize fish being landed in broad daylight? Not me.

Chappers.

if you have personally seen commercial fishermen take undersize fish (I take it you knew they where undersize by just looking at them? as I wouldn’t imagine that they invited you to take a sample and measure them as they took them round to the back door of the chippy) then all I can say is that these Cornish fishermen do not represent a black fish economy like the one that I have tried to establish (in my opinion) does not exist anymore. Or come to that Cornish fisherman in general.

As for the thousands of so called anglers who fish with a rod and line to earn a living by selling there fish at the back doors of these restaurants? Well are you saying that these people are commercial fishermen? Or illegal anglers?

Big cod.

Well let’s put it this way then, there was not the hectic fishing on the inshore grounds for a lot of years like the hectic fishing that was common practice on our offshore trips.

I didn’t have to go off with you (but thanks for the offer anyway) to find out what was being caught on the inshore grounds in the last few years. I only had to ask some of your ex customers who decided to try a trip with us and then told us the difference in what they caught. Some of those same customers contribute to this forum and have said on more than one occasion what they thought to the fishing they got with us.

But at the end of the day Paul they had to pay for what they got and not everybody can afford to do that.

I had some great fishing last year with darlik and I hope to have again this year. Signs look great so far. It’s nice to be able to debate why the fish have returned rather than why they disappeared regardless to weather they actually did disappear in the first place.

Regards.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course I didn't personally measure any of the fish but as an angler who adheres to MLS I know when a pollack is under 30cm or not and with regards to commercial fishermen/illegal anglers, it's a bit of a fine line, how do you describe someone who goes out most mornings catches two or three bass or whatever he can then returns to the pub to sell them either to customers or the pub its self. Either way its a black economy and is going on all round the country.

Of course I didn't personally measure any of the fish but as an angler who adheres to MLS I know when a pollack is under 30cm or not and with regards to commercial fishermen/illegal anglers, it's a bit of a fine line, how do you describe someone who goes out most mornings catches two or three bass or whatever he can then returns to the pub to sell them either to customers or the pub its self. Either way its a black economy and is going on all round the country.

How were these 2 or 3 bass caught ?

Nor is it just about cod on the East Coast/North Sea I can remember when winter was prime time to catch cod all round the coast, but now the only place it seems to be worth targeting them is mainly confined to the East Coast, And challenge as for thinking that there isn't any black fish landing going on any more then, give yourself a quick slap and wake up, I personally have seen boxes of undersized fish in Cornwall moved straight from the boats into the chip shops/resaurants.Not to mention the probably thousands of unlicensed guys who fish rod and line and sell their catches at the back doors of restaurants. Also when boats are caught with illegal fish, for whatever reasons eg over quota, undersized, illegal nets etc. What the f**k do you think they were planning to do with those fish?....give them away to friends ? Of course not they have a market for them round the back door of the fish market.

Surely these anglers with rod and line must be at a loss (if commercial as you say) , not every trip would be as productive and so hence losing money. Anyway whats wrong with selling a bit of fish? Friends are happy of the fresh fish (at a cheap price) and everyones a winner , apart from the fish of course.

Theres plenty more fish in the sea .....isn't there?

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

Bring on the Summer Fishing Festival, see you all Saturday July 7th. :thumbs:

Hi john hope you can find the winner this year its been fishing really well and no doubht it will be guns blazing in the july festival for the first prize lets hope this big northeastly hasnt dampen things to much. :1a:

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Surely these anglers with rod and line must be at a loss (if commercial as you say) , not every trip would be as productive and so hence losing money. Anyway whats wrong with selling a bit of fish? Friends are happy of the fresh fish (at a cheap price) and everyones a winner , apart from the fish of course.

Theres plenty more fish in the sea .....isn't there?

Bit of down to Earth common sense there Mr. Motorola :)

How were these 2 or 3 bass caught ?

Rod and line

Surely these anglers with rod and line must be at a loss (if commercial as you say) , not every trip would be as productive and so hence losing money.

Not when they're probably signing on the dole and as for fuel, a cornish village I have particular knowledge of they are only fishing a few hundred yards out of the harbour.

tell me challenge, where can i get a pair of those blinkers you are wearing??

are they on ebay??

does the commercial fishing world begin and end on the yorkshire coast??

or have you just never been anywhere else??

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Guest challenge
tell me challenge, where can i get a pair of those blinkers you are wearing??

are they on ebay??

does the commercial fishing world begin and end on the yorkshire coast??

or have you just never been anywhere else??

In the last 5 years one place that I spent very little time fishing was the Yorkshire coast. We where based in Whitby (Yorkshire coast) but very rarely fished there and that was with anglers.

As for commercial fishing, I have fished of the Shetlands, north of the Shetlands the Irish sea, the Norwegian coast the Danish coast I worked off Aberdeen and Peterhead there where plenty of other places I fished but I would not like to bore you. The North Sea is a very large place, the Yorkshire coast is (out to about 10 miles) a place that quite a few commercial fishermen and charter boat skippers have never felt a need to leave.

The last trip I had with the chieftain fishing with anglers we where some 155 miles east of Whitby. The last place that I was trawling was in the Shetland basin in a 60 foot boat out of Whitby in the middle of February. If you think that we done blinkers in our search for fish I assure you that was never the case.

Regards,

Bring on the Summer Fishing Festival, see you all Saturday July 7th. :thumbs:

John make sure you get booked early for next year as its the big one £5000 for 1st , £1000 for 2nd, £500 for 3rd and £300 for 4th and £200 for 5th plus at least £100 a day daily prizes which may increase to £200 plus many many tackle prizes whitby charter skippers are offering these fabulas prizes thanks to our sponsors the interest for the july festival in 2008 has allready been very high .

regards

paul.

( Chairman wcsa)

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg