best line for barbel

The Flying Tench

I've got a reel with 10lb mono, which I guess is OK for barbel, but it occurs to me that if you're fishing fast water where it's hard to get the lead or feeder to stay in place there'll be more pull on mono than on braid, with it's lower diameter. I've also got a pike reel with 35lb braid, which I guess is about the same diameter as the 10lb mono.

The problem is, I'm not keen to get another reel just for barbel fishing as I only go a few times a year. I guess I could chuck the 10lb mono, and get 12 lb braid. Or I could chuck the 35lb braid (it needs changing, really) and get a compromise, which I could use for pike fishing as well - maybe 15-20lb braid.

I'd welcome any comments.

john clarke

In an ideal world you would use the same diameter braid as you do mono, (braid is nothing like as abrasion resistant as it's made out to be) so the effect of the flow on the line will be the same.

As an example I rarely go above 8lb b/s mono for barbel but I sometimes use 20lb Powerpro braid.

The extra spool seems to be the obvious option, Ebay could be worth a try, or someone on here might have one, if you told us what reel it was. :)

In an ideal world you would use the same diameter braid as you do mono, (braid is nothing like as abrasion resistant as it's made out to be) so the effect of the flow on the line will be the same.

As an example I rarely go above 8lb b/s mono for barbel but I sometimes use 20lb Powerpro braid.

The extra spool seems to be the obvious option, Ebay could be worth a try, or someone on here might have one, if you told us what reel it was. :)

Thanks Ayjay

Actually I have 2 Pike/Carp reels, both with 30lb braid (approx) on. A Daiwa Regal-X 4050BRT, and a Silstar CPR 050. The latter is a cheap front-drag reel, but I like it! If anyone happened to have a spare spool for either, of course I'd be very grateful. My other reels are lightweight jobs that I wouldn't trust for barbel.

But I think you're saying that my 10lb mono is OK. As you are someone who sometimes uses braid and sometimes mono, what are the factors which affect your choice?

john clarke

Guest Brumagem Phil

The only worry I have about using really hefty breaking strain lines is the potential damage to fish.

By damage I mean a fish that maybe gets snagged perhaps? I had a barbel on the severn last year which snagged himself sommat silly and took me almost an hour to get out. I in fact pulled for a break a couple of times (15lb mono) but he fortunately gave me the nod that he was still there.

I've a spool of 65lb BS braid which I use for lure fishing (purely so I dont sacrifice lures to the weed gods) but have only ever used it for carp fishing on big open snag free fisheries (when I've been too lazy to change spools).

By the way, if you spooled up your braid all the way on your spool (ie without backing) then why not unreel it down the local park and rewind it used end first back onto the spool as the second half of the spool has probably never seen daylight and will be as good as new.

But I think you're saying that my 10lb mono is OK. As you are someone who sometimes uses braid and sometimes mono, what are the factors which affect your choice?

No hard and fast rules John, all my centrepins are loaded with mono and are used for at least 90% of my barbel fishing.

Sometimes (in winter time) I might want to fish a lot of different areas for a short time often employing a long cast across the river and letting the bait kite back across to where I want it and I will then use a fixed spool with braid, but mainly because the braid happens to be on there, I'd be just as happy to use mono.

I bought the braid to give it a try in various situations. I get on with it OK but I doubt that I will ever be a complete convert.

I'm sure your 10lb mono will be fine, you may need to use a bit more weight to hold bottom but the tackle can still be balanced to the flow. Fish upstream if you struggle to hold bottom when fishing downstream.

8lb Gr60 or when fishing big feeders on the opposite bank on larger rivers and close to snags i use Fox Camo Soft Steel 10lb both Monos and both faultless IMHO.

Edited by chris mc