Windows 10

Sportsman

When computer starts up and you see the post screen before windows logo appears go into bios (usually says press F2 for bios) then look for "boot" and check "boot from cd/dvd" or "the name of the dvd drive" is in the list.

HDD is usually at the top and will be the first device the computer tries to boot.

CD/DVD should be second on the list. If its listed and you still cant boot the live dvd then you may need to move it to the top.

Go to exit then save & exit, computer will restart and with an luck the live cd should start and follow on screen instrctions.

When/if you do usb method you will need to have the usb drive available in the list too.

To undo go back to bios and put hard drive to the top of the list (if you want)

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I changed the boot device to DVD but it doesn't seem to work, just goes straight to windows.

I think the problem is burning the ISO file to DVD

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Back on the original theme, be careful with the new browser, the Edge, as it uses parts of security from the old IE browser. Any changes you made to IE are wiped in the upgrade, so you will have to go back and redo them. It is hidden in Windows Accessories from the apps menu

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

I saw a little presentation on Windows 10 the other day. They were very pleased with their voice recognition based digital assistant "Cortana".

Not a single mention was made of the fact that this system requires continual audio monitoring of the PC's environment, as well as continuous running of speech recognition algorithms.

Do I really want a spy in my lounge?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

I saw a little presentation on Windows 10 the other day. They were very pleased with their voice recognition based digital assistant "Cortana".

Not a single mention was made of the fact that this system requires continual audio monitoring of the PC's environment, as well as continuous running of speech recognition algorithms.

Do I really want a spy in my lounge?

I think it was samsung got a bit of grief for doing the same thing with their tv's

must also be said that in win10 that what you do on the OS is sent to microshaft. having agreed to opt in during installation. have to opt out later and start trawling over settings to try and disable it all (or at least, some of it).

its a worrying trend this, making systems just to harvest all your stuff and lock it down so you cant do anything. Now you know why its free to begin with, they will sell all your data :lol:

http://www.newsweek.com/windows-10-recording-users-every-move-358952

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

A worrying trend indeed. I have a mate who has a computer science degree and works in forensics.

He has tape over the microphone and camera on his laptop and physically unplugs the camera on his playstation when it's not in use.

He's not being paranoid either. Snowden revealed that GCHQ and other agencies are remotely accessing thousands of cameras and microphones in devices linked to private ISP's.

You don't even need a person watching the feeds. Voice recognition and object recognition systems are so good these days that a machine could do the watching and only alert a human when something interesting crops up.

On one hand, having MI5 kick down the door of any wanabe jihadi who is stupid enough to pose with an AK47 in the lounge when the curtains are drawn is a good thing but on the other, the price in terms of privacy infringement isn't one I'm prepared to pay.

No smart televisions and no Windows 10 for me thank you very much.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

At the moment Cortana only works on US pc's

no;

cortana works just fine on UK pc's as well!

set her up first day and ive been using her since.

you can limit her access by setting her to only respond to "hey cortana"

and you can also set up access to only "listen" for your voice.

there is a little bit "training" to do but its a fairly effective system once its working....

im testing it just for the purpose of needing to know how it all works once people start asking me to fix the bloody thing or get it working properly; but I can see its uses if your busy with something and want some music or want to throw up a youtube video quickly with your hands full or whatever.

I used it yesterday as I was trying to repair a Samsung screen; searched for a youtube video I couldn't remember the name of.....worked kind of ok.

as with all these things; siri, google now, goole photos and the various "free" cloud storgaes etc....

you have to accept a certain amount of data is going to be used by the companies giving away the free stuff!

my issue with windows 10 at the minute is that its a bit too "hold your hand"; windows updates, default programs etc are all a bit of a bugger to disable or tweak if you are used to having things set "just so"

still; given time and the dedication of MS (which they have stated should mean windows 10 live for a good long time) im sure it will come into its own.