Cattle

Frummo

It may be down to a difference in the varieties of grass then. Sheep tend to graze from the bottom up as opposed to top down from many others. I dunno.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL@corry......you might be suprised how often thats happened!cheers dave.
I was not really looking for that clip, i stumbled over it when I was looking for something else. I just thought that some town dwellers might not realise quite how athletic 2,000lbs of beef on the hoof can be. Surprised, not me, but the these are not your typical farm bull. They have been well 'noised up' before they are introduced into the arena, and I am sure they are not handled very often.

Just to give you an idea what a bull could do,

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iA9pw53WaKQ

BTW that is one fiesty little mutt. A man would be proud of a dog with balls like that one showed.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

It may be down to a difference in the varieties of grass then. Sheep tend to graze from the bottom up as opposed to top down from many others. I dunno.
Ahh hang on I know what, you're on about, it has just twigged. Sheep crop grass right down to the meristem, because they have top and bottom front teeth. A cylinder lawn mower mimics the action of sheep cropping.

Cattle on the other hand are grazers. Cattle pull grass out with their tongues, because they have no top front teeth.

Its a case of growing the right crop of grass for the animal you are going to run on it. If you want to run sheep you need loads of fescues, rye type grasses for cattle.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

New to the forum so Hi to all, must admit the thought of cattle breathing down your neck whilst your trying to have a peaceful day fishing is a little daunting, though I must admit, that I have been one of the lucky ones, and have not suffered by these mindless four lgged variety of animals with an IQ of -1, though when it as occured I have put up the brolley, and have found that if they can,t see you then they lose interest rather quickly.

I also agree with others that the best method is a steady walk, and also keep going along the perimeter of fencing,avoid getting to close and thereby giving yourself a chance to leg it over a fence if they start to get over zealous.

Cheers for now

Sweeny

Bulls are capable of inflicting terrible injuries on humans, but if you put one in an arena and goad it into attacking you then frankly you deserve everything you get. Ditto for those who paid to be spectators.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• 3 months later...

Theres seems to be a bit of thread re-cycling going on at the moment, so I though I'd bring this one back having read about this..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

From a completely different source than the one in the link of course!

It is a cautionary tale. It's seems the cows protecting their calves took offence to this paticular lawman and more liikely his dog..

I hate them all! I'm sure it's baseless but they really do give me the fear. Last weekend I had to get through a field with bullocks in and it took me ages, hopping over and back across the barbed wire fence and waiting until they got bored of looking at me before making a break for it :lol: I felt really stupid, but I just can't bring myself to trust that they won't do anything stupid. I then blanked of course!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I hate them all! I'm sure it's baseless but they really do give me the fear. Last weekend I had to get through a field with bullocks in and it took me ages, hopping over and back across the barbed wire fence and waiting until they got bored of looking at me before making a break for it :lol: I felt really stupid, but I just can't bring myself to trust that they won't do anything stupid. I then blanked of course!

A very, very familiar story, unfortunately, including the blanking!

I'm in the early stages of developing a new tactic in my battle against the cattle. Bravado! I step purposefully over the stile enroute to my favourite couple of Chub bends, clutching a large straight stick, when they get too close I go on the offensive by whoosing the stick in their direction, shouting generally un-complementary anti-cow comments as loud as I possibly can while trying to fight off the distinct possibility of making a man pat all of my own...

So far, so good but I must admit there's one field of paticularly rowdy bullocks that I've not yet tried this new tactic on.