Laminate Flooring in a Conservatory

Gaffer

I've been putting it off for ages, but it's no good, the conservatory needs new flooring.

I've got some laminate flooring (and underlay) for the conservatory, but a friendof mine told me I can't put it in the conservatory as I first need to install under-floor heating or the laminate wood will warp and bow. Is this true? I asked another frined that said I have to seal the concrete floor first, then it should be ok to lay the underlay and flooring. Is this true?

The concrete base we have in our conservatory is extra thick (we paid more to have it thicker) and has a blue plastic membrane, does that make any difference?

The last time I mentioned laminate flooring on here some PM'ed me offering advice, but I accidentally deleted the message and can't remember who sent it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Garth.

Gaffer, you could lay some cheap tough carpet down first, and then the laminate floor on top of this. Works well on solid concrete floors, and makes the laminate a bit quieter to walk on :)

I did my kitchen floor 6 years ago like that, and it is still in perfect condition.

Or you can use the "underlay" supplied with the laminate and lay it straight on the concrete, I did my conservatory in my previous house, and it was still in perfect (slightly scuffed) after 8 years, up until I sold it.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I'm biased cos I hate laminate flooring - lay some vinyl.

...but seriously - if the floor has a proper dpm I don't see a problem, other than the heat often associated with conservatories won't be kind to a timber product.

If you don't get a definitive answer on AN, try here and wait for *Audi-evo* to answer.

laminate floors are absolutely fine for conservatorys so long as you leave a good 8-10mm expansion gap and put a vapour barrier (plastic DPM) beneath your underlay if laying on a concrete/screed floor and lap it up under the beading/skirting to protect the edges. you could also use a liquid DPM but to be honest the plastic sheet is more than adequate for a laminate and a damn sight cheaper.

I'm a floor layer and I've fitted bloody hundreds of the damn things over the last fifteen years and have never had a problem.

I've been putting it off for ages, but it's no good, the conservatory needs new flooring.

I've got some laminate flooring (and underlay) for the conservatory, but a friend of mine told me I can't put it in the conservatory as I first need to install under-floor heating or the laminate wood will warp and bow. Is this true? I asked another frined that said I have to seal the concrete floor first, then it should be ok to lay the underlay and flooring. Is this true?

The concrete base we have in our conservatory is extra thick (we paid more to have it thicker) and has a blue plastic membrane, does that make any difference?

The last time I mentioned laminate flooring on here some PM'ed me offering advice, but I accidentally deleted the message and can't remember who sent it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Garth.

Garth i pmed you, i was laying it on a wooden floor,but i have a friend who has it on concrete and no problems. I think its important to have the flooring in the conservatory for a few days to acclimatise before you lay and you need to keep the 10 mil gap all round. If you are starting on a wall that has a doorway lay a piece of board upside down next to the architrave or whatever they call it and saw the bottom off so you can slide the flooring under. at the fiish wall i just had to shape the wood to fit because i didnt know any other way. Looks like smudgertoo would be the guy to ask for advise tho.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

I can't abide laminate flooring. In fact, the fact that you even thought about laying it is the reason I haven't been to your house in about 5 years :D

Gaffer, you have a dog - laminate flooring is awful for dogs, especially as they get older.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Gaffer, you have a dog - laminate flooring is awful for dogs, especially as they get older.

Elton - most people do not allow their dogs to eat laminate flooring so that poor digestion in older dogs isn't an issue.

I'm green with envy to hear how many on here have a Conservatory in their house. I feel positively deprived that we don't have one. I'm not particularly musical but the bragging rights would be worth something.

A music school or conservatory (American English) — also known as a conservatoire (British English) or a conservatorium (Australian English) — is an institution dedicated to teaching the art of music, including the playing of musical instruments, musical composition, musicianship, music history, and music theory.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatory_(school)

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'm green with envy to hear how many on here have a Conservatory in their house. I feel positively deprived that we don't have one. I'm not particularly musical but the bragging rights would be worth something.

A man's got to have somewhere to fiddle with his horn. ;)

I have just laid some laminate flooring in my utility room. According to the instructions it is a piece of cake to lay. According to my own experience it was a right pig to put down properly. I eventually ignored most of the instructions on the packs and just got on with the job in the way that looked the most logical to me. But by then though I had wasted a full pack finding out how to do it.

My conservatory which owing to the back garden being three feet lower than the front is a bit cathedral like tends to heat up a lot in the summer. So I bit the bullet there and had proper ceramic floor tiles laid by a proper tiler. It was well worth the money and far better than laminate flooring. I would recommend ceramic tiles over laminate for a conservatory any day even at the extra cost of getting somebody to do it for you.

Elton - most people do not allow their dogs to eat laminate flooring so that poor digestion in older dogs isn't an issue.

A music school or conservatory (American English) — also known as a conservatoire (British English) or a conservatorium (Australian English) — is an institution dedicated to teaching the art of music, including the playing of musical instruments, musical composition, musicianship, music history, and music theory.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatory_(school)

But NEWT, having been lucky enough to VISIT your house I would do WITHOUT the conservatory myself to live as you do!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))