Bennetts of Sheffield

wotnobivvy

Guest tigger
Yup, I've been to sales.....I'm generally a bit more sensitive though when someone is selling due to personal distress. You appeared to almost relish in the idea that someones loss was your gain.

If you look at Eltons post you'll see people are doing them a favour going over and buying their stock !!!!

Ive just Spoke to Steve and its True about Calcotts, Steve needs your Support now more than ever hes discounting everything but wants people to come down and buy stuff but not feel as if there taking advantage cos hes need it all to go.

So support Steve by going down and buying some tackle.

BP,Where you get that ignorant statement that I seem to relish other peoples loss is bo**ocks, I don't know where on earth you got it from.

I suppose it's just a cheap shot at me as it's obvious you are jealous of me.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brumagem Phil

YAWN!

Actually tigger, I'm not jealous of you at all, in fact quite the contrary.

You take great pleasure in trying to stir it up between people here. Its worth noting that when myself and gaffer had a disagreement recently, the ONLY person trying to fan the flames was YOU.

Not content with that, you also tried wrecking my blogg just for a bit of one upmanship.

In fact if you truly think anyone would be jealous of your recent actions on here then you have a very warped idea of your own self importance.

You have a good evening now!

YAWN!

Actually tigger, I'm not jealous of you at all, in fact quite the contrary.

You take great pleasure in trying to stir it up between people here. Its worth noting that when myself and gaffer had a disagreement recently, the ONLY person trying to fan the flames was YOU.

Not content with that, you also tried wrecking my blogg just for a bit of one upmanship.

In fact if you truly think anyone would be jealous of your recent actions on here then you have a very warped idea of your own self importance.

You have a good evening now!

to be honest i wouldnt use bennets they are incredibly expensive and the times i tried to use them in the past the service was crap.

the other shop sounded more like my kind of place

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Guest tigger
to be honest i wouldnt use bennets they are incredibly expensive and the times i tried to use them in the past the service was crap.

Mark , I have to agree I've found them very expensive when I've used them in the past. They seem very mail order and profit mad. I havn't used the other shop but going off whats been said it's a pity it's closing.

Found this topic on Calcott's:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=231548

:( Sounds like it will be the end of a real era, if it's true.

Elton,

I am sorry to say that it is true :(

I will really miss Calcotts, a real Aladdin's cave with enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff :thumbs:

I have had the odd bargain from Bennetts in the past but generally they were very overpriced and the staff were not very helpful. or knowledgeable! they will still be missed by many anglers in Sheffield though if they do close as many a local fisherman has started off with a Bennetts kit on the never never.

Alan.

Very sad to see Calcotts go! Bennets was more of a mail order outlet and was expensive with some quite rude staff!! Ever been there and wiited to be served?? I HAVE!!

But Calcotts was a PROPER Angling shop, Tea and Fags all the order of the day!

The ONLY thing I am sad about is I am not there to get some CHEAP shofittings!!!!And possibly some cheap tackle.

Oh and we wasn't all rude that worked for Bennetts, i used to enjoy chatting with the customers on the phones and in the shop and if they were to open a shop down here i would love to work for them again.

Mark , I have to agree I've found them very expensive when I've used them in the past. They seem very mail order and profit mad. I havn't used the other shop but going off whats been said it's a pity it's closing.

Me too, I used them three or four times and they were a pain in the derriere on every occasion. My sympathy though transporter, I know all their staff can't have been that bad but it just seemed like you were in the minority mate !

Ian

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you"

Think how many thousands of happy customers they must have served over the years, though. They wouldn't still be here if that wasn't the case.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I used to buy stuff from Calcotts on Barnsley Market circ 1970 - 71. I am sad that they are closing as they never lost the personal touch. BOSFISH have lost their way though. Poor range of products, no fly fishing stuff of late and poor service at high prices.

I'm gutted at the thought of all those fish being destroyed though. The Don was a wonderful river and pretty much a secret. I introduced several anglers to the mid city stretches over the last year or so and had some brilliant fishing for trout, grayling and barbel. If it can come back from the pollution of the industrial age,it can recover from this - in time.

Regards, Clive

Think how many thousands of happy customers they must have served over the years, though. They wouldn't still be here if that wasn't the case.

That is true but it is was / is their easy payment plans that made Bennetts so popular, I don't know of anyone that used to buy from Bennetts using cash etc unless they had a special offer on.

They have had some very good staff over the years but of late they are very poor when it comes to knowledge about various aspects of our sport and the equipment that they sell and as mentioned above they have lost their way of late with probably the poorest selection of gear of all the big tackle shops in the area which is odd given their size etc.

Still very sad to see them in this state though :(

I am in the market for some new tackle and I have / will be visiting Calcotts again this week to get some bargains :thumbs:

If anyone else in the area is in need of some gear then Steve needs all the custom that he can get at this time, get down to his shop and grab a bargain

Alan.

Edited by YorkieT

Me too, I used them three or four times and they were a pain in the derriere on every occasion. My sympathy though transporter, I know all their staff can't have been that bad but it just seemed like you were in the minority mate !

Trouble was they started to employ people with bugger all product knowledge but thought they new it all, still they have some good staff like Steve M, Tom and Howard who are allways happy to help, Howard is now at another Tackle shop, i would love to own my own shop, i would turn it upside down just to find a screw for a customer's reel and look after the kids just like Calcotts used to with me :thumbs: . we should allways go the last mile for the customer.

Born to fish forced to work