Return that Fish?

Leon Roskilly

Well put Leon

I think we should all be more tolerant of other peoples views. I take the odd good sized fish for the table, not that there are many now, and release he rest. I don't like to see anglers killing fish for the sake of it, just leaving a pile of dead whiting on the beach seems pointless, and does not impress the general public.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@SUMMER@:

In a highly competative club with open boundaries or at least boundaries of 100 mile or so you often find yourself fishing alone sometimes at the bottom of huge cliffs (its fantastic). Catch and return along with trust really aint an option.

Of course in those circumstances there's no option, and no-one in their right mind could object. Even at our club level there have been occasions where I wished I'd brought a fish to the weigh-in, having thrown it back because the word had gone round that a bigger one had already been caught, which turned out to be untrue. :rolleyes:

I think as long as every effort is made to return fish when circumstances allow, that's as much as we can do.

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

Some excellent points there.

It hasn`t happened (and probably never will), but I`ve often wondered if , when fishing a big money open, I landed a very large, inedible fish, would I keep and kill it for the sake of the weigh-in?

I`m thinking of fish which are rarely, if ever, caught in the North East. Could I justify killing a good sized tope, for instance, to pocket a few hundred quid?

Or would I get more pleasure from watching such a beautiful fish swim away unharmed?

I`d like to think I would have the morality to return it, but then I have a feeling that I`d be labelled a "nutter" by quite a few match fishermen for throwing away a winning catch.

I really don`t know.

bleedin' crabs.

Hi Summer,

No offence taken, tried several different tactics this week without a sizable fish, stacks of schoolies and they take some big baits.

It is not just me but everyone who fishes that area.

Still some good fish of the main surf beach and at the Ferryside end.

The reason for that is the surf beach is to shallow to net and the Ferryside end is a protected area with no boat fishing of any kind.

North Channel is open to abuse by netters, they lack self control, it appears to be a contest to see who can catch the last bass. Now they have all moved out to Worms Head area which is an open sea. North Channel is an estuary system and very confined which makes the bass an easy target. You can only fish Worms Head from a boat or if you are very adventurous cross the causeway with camping equipment, food and water, tackle and fish from the rock cliffs.

In my prime I would give it a try but now it is out of the question, a young man who was a good swimmer drowned whilst making the crossing this year. Not a place to be caught out.

The point of my original post was it makes me wonder if I did the right thing last year!!

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

It might salve our consciences to return a 5lb bass but in reality, no commercial fisherman would do such a thing, even if he caught fifty similar fish that day.

The impact of anglers on sea fishing stocks could, I imagine, be described as negligible at best.

Especially if my own catches are anything to go by......

quote:

In a highly competative club with open boundaries or at least boundaries of 100 mile or so you often find yourself fishing alone sometimes at the bottom of huge cliffs (its fantastic). Catch and return along with trust really aint an option.
Would disagree with that statement. If it’s a club match with no money involved then why not trust members? If you cant trust them they shouldn't be in your club. Our club doesn’t even have weigh ins for club comps. All our club comps are based on a points system with all fish being returned. The angler reports his catch to the fish recorder which is entered in the catch book and their reports are taken as gospel. If anyone cheats they are only deceiving themselves.

If it’s an open comp with cash involved then it is slightly different but why not hold it on a best specimen basis. Our club does this and limits each competitor to weigh in one fish (best specimen) holding comps this way also helps spread the prize table.

It amazes me that there are still clubs around that insist on heaviest bag comps surely the 2 alternatives above or variations on those themes are better for the reputation of our sport.

Martin

visit http://www.pbsbac.co.uk for small boat angling on the south coast

Yes an excellent thread indeed Leon, and one which raises so many more questions than just simply "who decides who should kill a fish"

The position with regard to Clubs and Open comps is a slightly different matter, and one which could easily occupy a thread of its own. For what its worth my opinion is that not enough is done at Club/Region/National level to put the fish first.

The lack of trust thing is one area that frankly many people use as an excuse to continue killing fish unnecessarily. Badly thought out rules, often introduced to help conservation, actually make things worse. Examples of this are "measure & return" where size limits are reduced, leading to anglers targeting small fish with minute hooks. Another example is "Only your 2 biggest count", which involves killing each fish you catch and then chucking it away when you get a bigger one.

Anyway I digress...

Just like everything in life, EDUCATION is the only way of improving an individuals ability to make that "life or death" choice.

Another point, concerning our friends the "anti's".

If you look at this debate from their viewpoint, it would appear that putting fish through "Pain and distress", for purely human pleasure and sport. is even worse than killing for the table.

A strange paradox, suggesting that the more we do as a sport to conserve and educate, the more "anti" the "anti's" are likely to become

Guest jay_con

maverick of Poole:

quote:

Would disagree with that statement.  If it’s a club match with no money involved then why not trust members? If you cant trust them they shouldn't be in your club.  Our club doesn’t even have weigh ins for club comps.  All our club comps are based on a points system with all fish being returned.  The angler reports his catch to the fish recorder which is entered in the catch book and their reports are taken as gospel.  If anyone cheats they are only deceiving themselves.

If it’s an open comp with cash involved then it is slightly different but why not hold it on a best specimen basis.  Our club does this and limits each competitor to weigh in one fish (best specimen) holding comps this way also helps spread the prize table.

It amazes me that there are still clubs around that insist on heaviest bag comps surely the 2 alternatives above or variations on those themes are better for the reputation of our sport.

Martin

I for one see no point in cheating, My main aim when match fishing is to beat myself - to beat last years catches, to catch a bigger fish and a bigger bag of fish. Secondary to that I want to beat the others, some have years of experience and are difficult to beat, but if you dont try you never will. You could easily cheat and buy some fish off the local market but what purpose would that serve. Would be nice to live in a perfect world where everyone felt the same. Not so much in our club but in some just up the road I here of allegations of cheating and fistycuffs most matches.

I was just thinking of starting a topic on match fishing but I just remembered what happened last time maximo started a topic. It just ended in a slanging match with a lot of judgmental comments. Dont think ill bother.

[ 14. August 2005, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: @SUMMER@ ]

quote:

but in some just up the road I here of allegations of cheating and fistycuffs most matches.
Who in their right mind would want to belong to such a club? it beggars belief

As you say probably not a good idea to start another thread especially if some members can get a bit passionate

Martin

visit http://www.pbsbac.co.uk for small boat angling on the south coast

Guest jay_con

maverick of Poole:

quote:

but in some just up the road I here of allegations of cheating and fistycuffs most matches.
Who in their right mind would want to belong to such a club? it beggars belief

As you say probably not a good idea to start another thread especially if some members can get a bit passionate

Martin

I get the feeling were a little bit different up here in the North. But still very proud of it