Irish Bass Laws Made Permanent

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think i would be interested to pay to go over to the irish waters to catch bass and have a two fish bag limit imposed. They would have to be fifteen pounders plus before i would consider it.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

I don't think i would be interested to pay to go over to the irish waters to catch bass and have a two fish bag limit imposed. They would have to be fifteen pounders plus before i would consider it.

Hi barry

That is two fish per day . Assuming you were there for a week that's 10 if you fished for 5 days and they certainly do have bass up to 14lb and above - You have to ask yourself why that is?

Illegal netting still goes on though, so I guess nowhere is perfect.

Cheers

Steve

Hi barry

That is two fish per day . Assuming you were there for a week that's 10 if you fished for 5 days and they certainly do have bass up to 14lb and above - You have to ask yourself why that is?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for that, i was aware of two a day,if i was there for a week there is no way i would consider taking that lot home in any event. I find it difficult to comprehend, no restriction, then bang, no commercial fishing at all for the bass, and a bag limit for rsa. Absolutly brilliant for the stock but massively draconian. Could they not have chosen a middle ground.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi barry

Cheers

Steve

Am i right in thinking no one has any idea of the true state of Irish Bass stocks at the moment? On the one hand there are subjective reports from holidaying anglers saying "its wonderful", but there seems to be a lack of real data to measure Eire stcks against UK stocks? Theres also that danger of childhood reading of the wonderful angling writers way back when and the need to "live the dream"?

Am i wrong? If so where can i find out about the scientific state of the Irish Bass stocks, compared to ours, please?

Chris

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hi Chris,

Ireland has been a tourist angling destination for as long as I can remember. I well remember the Angling Times in the early seventies featuring articles about the course fishing and how anglers travelled with the anticipation of 100lb plus bags of bream.

As regards a sea angling destination, anglers and writers like Clive Gammon were already making trips to Brandon and Inch in the early sixties where the relatively untouched waters were already providing both a higher number and higher average size of bass than was generally the case on this side of the Irish Sea.

Whilst I accept that areas or marks that anglers fish, frequently places of angling legend, still feature as an angling destination on the back of an historical reputation, many simply do not deliver the goods any more. Certainly not to the extent that they once did.

A couple of decades ago, anglers from all over the UK and Europe would travel to Plymouth to fish the Eddystone. Angling magazines featured all sorts of stories with glossy pictures of anglers literally waist deep in pollack and coalfish. Plymouth was repeatedly voted the charter port of the year by SA but no more. The fish stocks have been hammered and anglers no longer plan and dream about filling their boots on the stone. The charter fleet has shrunk dramatically where the port has been replaced by weymouth as the main hot spot for anglers to head to. As it happens Weymouth is the closest port to the Channel Island where the fishing is better.

As the saying goes, you can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time. Why else would anglers in my own club (based in Plymouth) travel to the Channel Islands, the US and god knows where else when the fishing is better on their own doorstep? That is because the fishing is at best patchy and generally poor, with no sign of it slowing uplet alone getting better.

Regardsless of whether the stocks are better or worse than the UK, the fact still remains that the fishing is just better. Might I suggest that the Bass Order and the difference in attitude has got something to do with it. Is it possible that the fishing is better because the commercial sector doesn't call all the shots?

AndyR

Hi Chris,

Ireland has been a tourist angling destination for as long as I can remember. I well remember the Angling Times in the early seventies featuring articles about the course fishing and how anglers travelled with the anticipation of 100lb plus bags of bream.

As regards a sea angling destination, anglers and writers like Clive Gammon were already making trips to Brandon and Inch in the early sixties where the relatively untouched waters were already providing both a higher number and higher average size of bass than was generally the case on this side of the Irish Sea.

Whilst I accept that areas or marks that anglers fish, frequently places of angling legend, still feature as an angling destination on the back of an historical reputation, many simply do not deliver the goods any more. Certainly not to the extent that they once did.

A couple of decades ago, anglers from all over the UK and Europe would travel to Plymouth to fish the Eddystone. Angling magazines featured all sorts of stories with glossy pictures of anglers literally waist deep in pollack and coalfish. Plymouth was repeatedly voted the charter port of the year by SA but no more. The fish stocks have been hammered and anglers no longer plan and dream about filling their boots on the stone. The charter fleet has shrunk dramatically where the port has been replaced by weymouth as the main hot spot for anglers to head to. As it happens Weymouth is the closest port to the Channel Island where the fishing is better.

As the saying goes, you can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time. Why else would anglers in my own club (based in Plymouth) travel to the Channel Islands, the US and god knows where else when the fishing is better on their own doorstep? That is because the fishing is at best patchy and generally poor, with no sign of it slowing uplet alone getting better.

Regardsless of whether the stocks are better or worse than the UK, the fact still remains that the fishing is just better. Might I suggest that the Bass Order and the difference in attitude has got something to do with it. Is it possible that the fishing is better because the commercial sector doesn't call all the shots?

AndyR

According to Leon's link, their new bass regs have only been in place for one year, plus they indicate that it needs renewing yearly so they have made this a permanent bylaw. Obviously to me it is too soon to draw any conclusion to the effects but again for the stock, it can only be a good thing. In years to come if it stays the same in ireland then the stock can only do one thing and that is to improve on the actuall stamp of the fish. Again i cannot believe that it is any different to the uk's stock as they haven't had enough time to grow. A few years from now it might be different.

As i fish the bottom to the top of the channel i am aware of the high's and lows. Anywhere west of weymouth and the cost of chartering is cheaper as obviously weymouth is the catchment area in the south. Over the years i have had some brilliant fishing from devon and continue to do so. I agree that weymouth is the premier port on the south coast purly on the diversity of the fishing, inshore, off and also the channel isles.

AndyR have you tried our-joel at paignton, super skipper simon pedley, he knows where the fish live?

Edited by barry luxton

Acourding to Leon's link, their new bass regs have only been in place for one year,

Actually it's been in place for a few years now, it's just that this year has been the first year that it's been made permanent.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I have regularly sea fished in Ireland for very many years.

There is no doubt the quality of the bass fishing has decreased over those years, but it is still better than anywhere I know in the UK (as is all general sea fishing).

With regard to fish limits, like most visiting anglers we return our fish, with the exception of the odd

plaice, or turbot we keep for dinner.

We have no interest in shipping frozen fish back to England.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Actually it's been in place for a few years now, it's just that this year has been the first year that it's been made permanent.

Thanks for clearing that up Leon, the download, 2nd para is confusing me as it says that the regs have been in for a year etc. If the regs have been in for a time then, there should be some good info about the stock improvement then?

Edited by barry luxton