Beware and Remember!

Longdoggg

Lyme disease can be caught from lots of different tics, but the most common way of contracting it is from the tics of a dear I'm told.

Personally I think the risks are over stated. Many nasty diseases out there, but we shouldnt really worry IMO.

True, but better to be safe than sorry. As a hill walker, I read the associated press and they also state that this is something to be cautious about.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange. I thought Lymes Disease was confined to North america.

So did I. I get the impression that hunting is a much more mainstream activity in the US than here, so perhaps it's just something they're more likely to encounter.

Perhaps something to be more worried about is the sort of disease that we can pick up from the water via handling tackle. Two seasons ago I nicked my finger with a hook. Which is a fairly common thing. But within two days the finger tip had swollen up and was as painful as hell. Fortunately a quick trip to the Doctors to have it lanced followed by a course of antibiotics sorted things. But I am a lot more careful now in handling hooks.

The other problem that I have had was that I sometimes got a bad stomach a day or two after a fishing trip. I eventually traced the cause to biting shot onto the line, just like I had been doing since I was a kid. I now always use pliers even for the number eight shot.

As far as waterborne diseases go, I hope everyone is well aware of the risks of Weil's Disease. It's usually caught through broken skin, so it's worth carrying a first aid kit to allow you to clean and dress any wounds. I also carry a bottle of this:

http://www.no-germs.com/uk/

Another reason for covering up, especially if you fish in Dorset. I didn't know this one could be as bad as this. :unsure:

http://www.thisisdorset.net/mostpopular.va...r_bug_bites.php

John.

Not to be confused with this stuff, which is very nearly as nasty:

http://www.hall-woodhouse.co.uk/beers/badg...landfordfly.asp

:yucky:

I wonder if Blandford Fly keeps away Blandford Flies????

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I wonder if Blandford Fly keeps away Blandford Flies????

According to the brewery's website blurb, it does help relieve the bites (allegedly):

"Local folklore has it that only zingibain, one of ginger's most ancient constituents, could help reduce the fever and swelling inflicted by the creatures bite.

The inspired inclusion of ginger in this ale has made the antidote so agreeable that the locals now claim the Fly swarms all year round..."

Personally, I shall never forgive Hall & Woodhouse for taking over King & Barnes and replacing draught Festive with Tanglefoot in all the K&B pubs. :angry:

Sorry, off-topic again... :rolleyes:

Lyme disease can be caught from lots of different tics, but the most common way of contracting it is from the tics of a dear I'm told.

Personally I think the risks are over stated. Many nasty diseases out there, but we shouldnt really worry IMO.

Lyme disease is VERY common, especially north of the border and it is a serious disease, nearly as bad a syphilis.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote