Of interest to fly fishing folk

Newt

More from Field & Stream but this time, some observations by a diver watching fly fishing for trout from the trout's perspective. Some of what he found out goes against conventional wisdom.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/...1575804,00.html

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for that Newt, it makes interesting viewing and reading.

I'm no 'fluff chucker', it's a quarter of a century at least, since I waved a fly rod in anger.

The points made in the article apply to fish in general, and with bait fishing, as well as fly.(a point I was trying to make in the 'Trotting fast water' thread).

It's a shame that modern trends in the UK angling scene, don't require the learning of water craft such as this.

The number of posters on here that ask for a definitive answer, (what bait, how far out, how deep etc), to what is really a general question, is proof of that.

Time spent watching the fish, and their behavior, will answer these questions, (and a lot more), and increase catches a great deal.

But it seems that 'instant' results are what are required, with very few putting in the 'hard miles' and 'earning' their fish.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Very interesting indeed, Newt! :thumbs:

And not just to fly fishing folk.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

You have posted that up before, Newt, but its well worth repeating

Here is an example of how it works in practice (last Wed July 11)

browntrout92su3.jpg

In particular Point 1 - far too much false casting was going on at the fishery - this fish was caught by a single roll-cast into the air, one backcast, one forward cast.(three rod movements in all)

A short ACCURATE cast is more effective than a long cast achieved with a dozen rod strokes

...and Gozzer makes a good point - as soon as I landed it three blokes came and asked me "what fly"

I showed them the fly....

NOBODY asked me about fly size, tippet length, depth, how far to cast, retrieval rate, bite indication etc

In fact, asking "what fly" is a sort of insult - it implies you are just a wally who was lucky enough to have taken the "right" fly out of the box.

In fact I caught on a GRHE size 16, but any brown nymph (eg Pheasant Tail) would probably have done the job.

Small drab fly - drab because it was a bright day, small because these browns are wary of bigger flies whizzing through the water and being snapped at by small rainbows.

Short range cast, so I could stalk the fish and put the fly just inches in front of it.

Bite indicator - when I saw the fly go down the hatch

Depth - same depth as the fish I could see

Retrieval rate - zero, the fish took on the drop.

...and just to show it was no fluke I got another

browntrout54zy0.jpg

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

...and Gozzer makes a good point - as soon as I landed it three blokes came and asked me "what fly"

I showed them the fly....

NOBODY asked me about fly size, tippet length, depth, how far to cast, retrieval rate, bite indication etc

I couldn't agree more. It happens with lure fishing too. I'm often asked what colour lure I've caught on. My own first question is about the depth a fish was caught, closely followed by the speed of retrieve.

If you haven't already read the article that Newt posted a link to I suggest you do so.

I found the bit about changing the weight 3 times before changing the fly especially pertinent. There's lots of other useful points too.

The only one that I don't agree with (except perhaps in the context of the article) is that changing to a lighter line isn't worthwhile. In a tumbling stream it may make little difference, but it certainly often does in slower currents and even more so on stillwaters. It's not just the visibility of a larger diameter line, but the effect it has on the behavour of the bait.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Vagabond - I knew I had posted some of the info and a link or two after reading the article but didn't remember finding a master link to the info until last night.

Steve - I do think they were specifically talking about using heavier line in terms of fast water.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Vagabond - I knew I had posted some of the info (before)

Yep, and it was the same few who responded last time. <_<

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...