how to stop catching bream

egbert

i got a membership at woking district angling assosiation and i went with ma mates a couple of days ago and all we ever caught was bream can any one tell me how i might be able to start catching carp instead of bream

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big boilies..it's what they were invented for :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

they suck down 22mm to a mouth size at my local carp venue :angry:

thats if the cats leave them alone

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It is very nearly impossible to stop catching bream, no matter how big a bait you use. Take comfort in the fact that if you are catching bream you will eventually catch carp. I know they can be a blasted nuisance, but please treat them with the respect you would give to any other fish.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

A question for you all. If carp start moving in to your swim, will they drive the bream away?

If so that would mean that catching only bream meant you hadn't attracted any carp yet.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

A question for you all. If carp start moving in to your swim, will they drive the bream away?

If so that would mean that catching only bream meant you hadn't attracted any carp yet.

Carp won't drive bream away or any other fish, like tench or perch etc, they are quite happy to feed together. a lot of people, including myself, used to think the carp would muscle in and drive the smaller fish away, but the Korda underwater films proved this not to be the case, they were all happy feeding together. Can't stop the bream either, they will and as mentioned you will catch them on large baits, or they nibble them down to size.

Edited by trevor2003

I've watched carp, bream and tench all feeding together happily. That said that was only a small group of fish rather than a large schoal of carp. The only thing I'd advise is to steer clear from groundbait if there are lots of bream about. Fishing just boilies helps keep their attentions to a minimum and you may even find a type of boilie they don't like.

Rob.

Right then, don't bother with the boilies then :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

but the Korda underwater films proved this not to be the case

Dont take the Korda vidios as the be all and end all! Ive been diving for a lot longer than they have been out and logged considerably more hours underwater than it took to make those!

They have given many (un thinking!) anglers an insight into what happens under water but as said they are not the definitive answer!

I should imagine it varies from water to water /year to year etc depending on conditions,size/amount of carp/bream and a million and one other factors/variables but I have often found (on the waters I fish) that Carp wont push bream off beds of bait.Mainly because they tend to move around solitary or in much smaller groups. Ive never found carp to move over beds of bream groundbait that regularly.Bream will quickly move over beds of carp bait though.Normally before the carp.This may give the impression that they have moved the carp on but in fact its simply because the carp were never there in the first place.

Some waters Ive fished if you are catching bream (whilst carping) it pays to just move/fish another area.Sometimes because these are simply areas frequented by the bream and not the carp.

Once again generalising but Ive found carp rarely feed if there are eels over your bait.Why I dont know.

As Peter says though if your targeting carp and you are catching bream (even though I know this can prove frustrating at times) please remember its not their fault you are catching them and treat them with the same respect you would carp or any other.If you just cant bear catching them then simply dont fish where they are present.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!