Zander

norfolkfisher

Zander  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are they good or bad for our waterways?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but they need to be controlled

Yes I totally agree to both of your points.Its really a case of "shutting the stable door once the horse has bolted" now though.Only thing I would wish to see though is that lessons are learned but then again thats not likely is it?

Its pretty much accepted that the Coventry Cannals population of Zeds came about through illegal stocking but its also one water that is openly seen to have an active Zander culling policy (curtesy of BWW) in place.Doesnt seem to have stopped Zeds in there does it?

If I remember right one of our members has a stretch of it be interesting to see if he has noticed any effect as I only have second hand info.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I realised the poll wasnt that brilliant after i posted sorry! just have no idea how to change it. But its easier to get the general concensus from the replies than just the numbers.

I think just answering the question now they're here so you think they have a more positive or negative impact? i.e. anglingwise and eco system wise. Though i tink the majority of people who reply seem to enjoy catching them.

But talking to a couple of guys on the river the other day who were piking and hated zeds with a passion(killing on sight) so there is a proper mixed opinion on this one.

• 2 years later...

I rather welcome the introduction of Zander, they have added a new dimension to fishing in this country. We where a little short of predatory fish before there introduction and I doubt they have a larger enough impact on other species to worry about.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I have only ever caught pike & enjoyed the fight. I am hoping next month to catch my first Zed, (hint hint). As a fasirly nuetral response I ask this:-

So long as no other species is elimentated from our waters, I can only see a new challenge in finding & catching new species. I wonder how many so called 'British' Species are infact 'intros' to our waters over the thousands of years...? Who is to say that many now common species aren't the off spring of 'intros' ? So another one has come along, well not by stealth as I knew of these foreigners over 30 yrs ago. Rumours were they were much bigger then & were a cross bred pikje & perch originally in the 70s / 80s. It is only recently we have learnt theyt are a seperate species & not a cross, but many still call them pike / perch. So really if the order was officially given now to eradicate them, imo it would be sooooo late. Also if there was the chance for them to push others out of our waters, it would have happened by now. Some of you have said 'a ballance will happen', well maybe it has, many zed waters have good size pike in them as the smaller fish will get eaten by both species. Also overall, if I am correct, the condition of the 'feed fish' (silvers) is a lot healthier, river fish disease is down. I no longer catch fish with rotting flesh on them or nearly dead from disease nowadays. That used to really make me mad as we never knew the causes then, but did the best thing & dispatched the sick fish.

Nobody moaned when the roach / rudd or roach / bream hybrids appeared or when others seemed to disappear from rivers. I havent heard of grayling in the city reaches of the Wensum anymore or tench come to think of it, so why are we arguing about zeds when there are bigger angling questions to answer? We all want whats best for our waters & ALL the life in & along them. The river I learnt the art on is now a weed overgrown, silt shallowed shadow of it's prime. How many waters have gone this way & could this be why so many species are being compressed into less & less water, having to fight with all for survival???? If these choked up, forgotten, negleted waters were re-opened & givenlife again would this not relieve the tension on the fish, creating a chance for species to relax back to how it used to be? (ok so I just went of topic, but it makes you think !!!).

So in closing, what difference can one, not so new species, make some 30yrs after it's introduction?

Fishing is the most peaceful & solitary group activity a going. Every watewr is different every day, thanks for that as same would be boring....

I rather welcome the introduction of Zander, they have added a new dimension to fishing in this country. We where a little short of predatory fish before there introduction and I doubt they have a larger enough impact on other species to worry about.

Why have all these ancient 'poll' posts suddenly risen to the surface, (although I enjoyed reading the 'hunting fishing' one again. :D

It's been said enough on here, that after the initial 'shock' of a new pred' being introduced, it will settle down, and only the other preds will be permanently affected. After all the number of prey, governs the number of predators. It's a different matter when the introduced species competes directly with the majority of resident species, then the water takes on a whole new 'balance. This is especially so if the 'new species are introduced in large numbers.

Oh, and Stephen, who decided that we were short of predatory fish before zander were introduced? Or is that just your opinion. :P:D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Oh, and Stephen, who decided that we were short of predatory fish before zander were introduced? Or is that just your opinion. :P:D

John.

Well I did, I do like a predatory fish :D

Pike and Perch need a helping hand, if it was up to me we would have more. They can fight it out between each other to find some natural balance, I think it's kind of proven things like Zander will fit in but I must confess even though I like Catfish I am not sure about them. So would not push for their introduction but I tend to take the view if they are there then I may fish for them.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• 1 year later...

The canals to the North and South of Coventry are struggling because of the Zander predation. I've had up to 10 a day between 1 and 2Ib on worm before I've give up.

Maybe when they've scoffed each other out, and only a few of the big uns remain maybe other species may habitat the canal again.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Zander or those that choose to fish for them

Yes, fine eating. You're missing out on a tasty fish Craig. They are on the 'takable' list of species. A 2lb fish sounds about right for the table.

(it's either that or 15 perch of just under 8ins)

John

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John