Zander

norfolkfisher

Zander  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Are they good or bad for our waterways?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but they need to be controlled

I'm not a big fan of polls either. I find them a bugger to control in a breeze..

I've always wondered what happen if they took hold in the Broads system which has got to almost perfect habitat for them?

I know there are a few in there already as the odd one's turned up and have also heard through the 'jungle drums' that a few unscrupulous pikers have been transferring decent fish from the Fens.

Whether that has actually happened is another thing.

The Broads have the silver fish populations to support them but evaluating any potential damage done would be a very complicated piece of fisheries science.

I tend to veer towards it being almost impossible to judge any impact decisively with such a mobile fish population in a large waterway system..

I love zander. Luring for them is great fun on the rivers
and great sport. I was there when the controversial choice to introduce them
into OBH lakes in surrey and it’s given me a few well quite a few on the bank
although I have to say I believe at the expense of the Pike although I don’t think
the pike have never really come on in there.

They have not taken over in the areas that some think they
have. In the fens I think the pike and the Zander have got on well in tandem. A
great sporting fish

There is not one thing different between ideology and religeon

My Favourite bait for zander id Trout. Small trout . I have caught many a big one on them live offcoarse. zander for the big one's really is word of mouth especially on the drains :)

Might not be a good idea to advertise the fact you're transporting live trout to the fens...

It wasn't at the fens it was at OBH. If i caught a couple of doubles in the fens i think i would be jumping for joy. They sell them there but everyone seems to go for roach and i never quite get why/ OBH many many moons back was a trout fishery so it just made sence to me although not concrete and i have never looked back. Dead or alive...I would never ever dream of transporting trout to the fens..

I can see where you could of perhaps mis read the post though mate. :)

Edited by Dave H