Help needed please...

Janet

Hi guys,

Some time ago I bought myself a John Wilson Prime PM120 12' Match float rod, which proved to be a big mistake. It was an impulse purchase and I was never comfortable using it. The butt was too long, and was constantly catching on my clothing, and it just didn't feel "right" if you know what I mean. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the rod, it just didn't suit me or my way of fishing.

Anyway, luckily, this morning I was in the local tackle shop for my usual brew and catch-up chat when a regular came in, looking at the very same rod. I told him he could have mine if he wanted, so he got a bargain and unfortunately Steve missed out on a sale. (He didn't mind though, as he knows that I'll be back for a new one shortly, and I DID buy a few of his new Middy floats!)

Now that rod was a mistake, because I didn't really know what I should be looking for in a float rod, which is where you guys come in, as I'm hoping to pick your brains. I'm currently using my feeder rod as a float rod, with some success, but I'd like to know what advantage I'd gain from having a rod specifically designed for float fishing. My main targets are perch (trying to beat my PB of 2lb 14oz) and the elusive tench from my local pond. I know they're there, but so far they've proved uncatchable!

Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between a feeder rod and a float rod, and can anyone recommend a decent one, suitable for a relative beginner? I don't really want to spend more than £50, but can stretch the budget if necessary.

Sorry if it's a daft question, but I don't want to make another mistake.

Cheers!

Janet

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a daft question at all, Janet.

I can't go into specific rods, because I don't buy tackle that often, just when I need to.

My advice (for what it's worth), would be to look for a rod of around 1.25lb TC, with an action that is what I call tip and middle. That is, you still have a sensitive tip, but power lower down for bigger fish. Some of the traditional less powerful 'all through' action rods, I find to be a bit too 'floppy' on the strike, when trotting.

I use an old Diawa match rod for most of my trotting, and light to medium still water fishing. It suits me just right, and if I ever smashed it, I'd be lost. Ive had fish to over 10lb on light gear, (1-1.5bs hook lengths) and had no problems.

As for length, reel position, and length of handle, these I think can only be found by trying several and finding out for yourself. I prefer to have about 3-4ins past my elbow, when holding the reel position.

A rod with the 'modern' fixed reel position can be a handicap, it depends on your stature/ length of your arms etc.

Also cutting a handle down, or moving a reel position, will unbalance a rod, and make it feel heavier.

I have an old glass 'Mibro Match' that gets an airing on occasions. This felt so heavy, that I had to put about 4/5oz of lead in the butt to make it balance an inch or so above my reel. Strangely, this made it 'feel' much lighter, and more of a pleasure to use.

Length again is down to what you can handle comfortably, and where you mostly fish. I'm 6ft plus and prefer at least a 13ft rod, I know some guys who prefer 12ft for the same type of fishing.

There are more rings on a float rod to enable the line to run more free, and not stick to the rod when wet. I have been known to add a couple of rings to a new rod, just to get it as I want.

I would suggest that you go to see Steve and ask to try a few rods out to see what length, reel position etc suits you, do this with your reel attached.

If you are trotting with it, you will be holding it for long spells, so you need to feel comfortable with it.

I hope this helps.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between a feeder rod and a float rod, and can anyone recommend a decent one, suitable for a relative beginner? I don't really want to spend more than £50, but can stretch the budget if necessary.

Cheers!

Janet

I believe the difference is in the top section. That a feeder rod is stiffer to allow you to cast a feeder without the tip bending down and cutting your cast short.

As to buying another, with so many to choose from I think you're going to have to take few for a test drive.

I only have a Leeda Assassin so have nothing to compare it against. The Shimano Technium's seems to have a devout second hand following so I'm going to get me one of those.

Tony

Thanks John.

Yes, that was a great help. I had a lot of problems this week with the line sticking to the rod (it was lashing it down all day) and wrapping round the tip. I can see now that more rings may have made it a bit easier and that a quiver tip feeder rod isn't ideal under these conditions. The tip does tend to bounce around a bit and caused me quite a few tangles.

I found a perfect rod today in the shop. Only 9ft, but that would suit me fine, as I'm only fishing in the margins for most of the time. It felt great, the butt was a perfect size and it was great to handle, but I was advised that it was designed primarily as a spinning rod. Is there any reason why I couldn't use this as a makeshift float rod?

I tend to fish in the margins, normally no more a rod's length from the bank, and generally no more than about six to ten feet either side of where I'm sitting, as that's where I seem to catch consistently, despite being advised otherwise. I don't care what the others say. I catch most when I'm fishing close to the reeds and the bulrushes. Yes, they may only be tiddlers, but there's a 3lb perch in there with my name on it! I will happily stay in the margins all day, catching skimmers and waiting for that big perch. The others chuck their feeders and their PVA bags, boilies and bait to the middle of the lake then sit beside bite alarms and go and read a book. I'm pulling in fish after fish. Maybe small, but you never know...

A 13 foot rod seems a bit too much for this. Are there any rods available that are specifically designed for close-in margin fishing, or am I just being difficult?

Janet

I'd say that 9ft is too short, and the action of a spinning rod is not best suited for a float rod.

I find the extra length, gives me more control, over the cast, the fish, and the strike. (Especially when trotting). The extra length picks up line much better.

I too fish the margins most of the time, with no problems. In fact if it's windy you can hold your float in position better with a longer rod, and the extra length gives you more options should conditions change.

If a 13ft rod is just too much for you, then try a 12 or 11 ft rod instead, but personally, that is as short as I would go, for float fishing.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I beleive the type of rod is all down to personal preference, i use a map matchtek number 2 for float fishing, good action but plenty of grunt should anything of a decent standard come along, this rod has handled carp up to 12 lbs with ease, the tip action might be to soft fpr some but i like it.

For feeder fishing i chose the shimano beastmaster, 11-13 foot, it has a dolly section to extend it to its full length, it came with a 1oz, 2oz and 3oz tip, i bought 2 more a 4oz for lumping a method feeder and 1/2 oz for winter. Its more than capable of handling zoo creature type fish, the only moan about it is its a bit weighty but then you don't hold it when your feeder fishing.

But as i said, its personal preference.

mooserx

Ahhh good to see your getting yourself a float rod.

If, like me, your on the diminutive side ... I'm only 5'2" and slim built ... I can recommend the Shimano range of rods and reels.

The reels are quite tiny, but equally light weight.

I would go for the 11ft rod if possible, the 13ft rods (which I have myself) can be a bit unwieldy for a beginner.

I think mine is a Shimano Hyperloop an a Hyperloop 4000 reel - bought for the bargain price of £20 from *gasp* Argos when they were selling off the Shimano range last year. It's a lovely rod with fast tip action and is quite happy handling the sub-double figure fish. I've caught everything from inch long roach to near double carp with it and I'm confident it can handle it.

Rich

Janet, to answer the original question you have already taken the first step!! SOLD your old one and visited the tackle shop!! What is my MEAT may be your own POISON!!

Get some of the rods out of the racks and have a play!!!! :D

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Many thanks for all your advice guys! I'm going to go up to the shop and have a play around the next chance I get. I like the idea of something from Shimano, as I have a couple of their reels and they are fantastic quality for the money. If their rods are of the same quality and build then I'll be happy.

I've just checked the length of my feeder rod, and it's 11ft. I'm quite happy handling it, so I'll be looking for something of a similar length, possibly longer if it feels comfortable. I've also checked the reel position, and like John, I like to have about three inches past my elbow, so I'll make sure that this time I take my reel with me and check the rod out properly. I've done that with every other rod I've bought, but as I said, the float rod I bought was an impulse purchase, and I didn't try it out properly as I should have done. Lesson learned, I think!

John, you mentioned trotting a few times. I haven't tried that properly yet, so I may be back to pick your brains again before too long as it looks a great way to fish and a handy new technique for me to learn. I tried it on my local river when I first started, but had no luck, probably because I didn't have a clue.

Thanks again everyone for your advice.

Janet

Janet, knowing how much you like fly fishing I'm sure you'll very much enjoy trotting!

I'd suggest that you go for a rod of at least 12ft for float fishing as that'll give you more control, especially for trotting.

I'm not up to speed with the less expensive rods as my experience in the tackle trade was largely with rod design and custom-built rods. However, I did handle some float rods a couple of years ago when looking at one for Peggy's nephew. I remember being particularly impressed with one of the Abu models that retailed at about £50. Unlike many I handled this was nicely balanced, had a good action, and had sufficient rings - you need at least 1 per foot on a float rod.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net