strong knots

carphead07

hi all coarse anglers

i need help on my knots

usually to tie a hook on i use whats known as a half blood not but now im getting better gear to fish properly i need to no all the knots that are strong

all help is grateful

thnx

mike

mike finlay the carpinator

i need to no all the knots that are strong

Not really. There are way too many good knots for a person to learn how and when to use them all.

Better idea to learn the one or two that are best for each situation and rig you use and get good at tying them.

If you move on to a new style that needs new knots, again pick the one or two that are best and learn how to tie them well.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

An obvious question is what line are you using? Lots of knots that are fine for mono simply don't work if you've changed over to braids - and the bllod/clinch knot is one of them.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

hi all coarse anglers

i need help on my knots

usually to tie a hook on i use whats known as a half blood not but now im getting better gear to fish properly i need to no all the knots that are strong

all help is grateful

thnx

mike

I've never had a problem with a half blood knot although I have now changed to a grinner knot when tying to swivels and a figure 8 with tying a hook length to the main line, you should be able to find these by using the search link at the top of the page.

Errrm

Palomar for me. Solid as a rock when tied correctly. Essential with flurocarbon and braid especially but also great with mono.

5 turn grinner knot is also an excellent knot. Sometimes a palomar isn't possible because of the way you have to loop the line back round the swivel or hook.

I read in a magazine that Dave Lane swears by his blood knots. He says he's never had a problem and he's caught 5 different English fifities!

As with all knots give it a little test by pulling the line to make sure it's been properly done before casting out.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Uni Knot

Grogs animated knots >> The Uni Knot

Make sure use spit to lubricate mono or fluoro carbon as dry knots tying reduces line strength by half

Hence 4lb line becomes 2lb breaking strain

If tying a double uni say to a leader you need to say double the main line to the leader size. Say 2x6kilo equals a 15 kilo cast leader. You end up with 2 diameters the same by doubling the main line.

Ultimately tying a double for a join to a casting leader you can use a spider hitch but anything serious you want a bimini which provides 100% knot strength.

If you use a poor knot you are reducing your breaking strain by half say 20lb becomes 10lb.

Im still committed that a uni supplies some of the best knot strength without line class breaking strain loss given its lubricated with spit.

Check out knot breaking strengths as some have only 50% of the line strength

So you tie a poor strength knot -50% no lubrication (spit) - 50% your in a bit of trouble.

I noticed a "lot" of young anglers tie clinch knots but don't lock them as explain them as the improved or locked clinch.

The clinch an easy knot but not locked is as good as pointless. It lets go really easy.

It is important to lcok the knot. Thats why many see the big one get away.

Edited by UK_Ozzie

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better!

The next thing anglers do is go to larger breaking strain line which the fish have more of a tendency to see hence less bites especially when surface fishing in a fish educated pond.

When you are surface casting to Carp or have dry fly on for trout the bloke next to you gets all the bites because the fish are less sceptical of the line.

With thinner line you gain distance, higher accuracy and less chance the fish will see the line.

Ideally 13lb line can knock over a 20lb carp with the drag/ clutch set at 40-60% of the breaking strain line. So at say 6-8lb the line will pull off the drag.

You can step up to 20lb line if theres snags that Carp are going to drag you into but a greater chance you will lose casting distance and less chance an educated carp will eat you bait.

I fish 10lb braid with a 5 metre 12lb fluorocarbon leader with the clutch set at 60% using lubed uni knots on a small rod and know over plenty of good 20lb Carp.

The next thing anglers do is go to larger breaking strain line which the fish have more of a tendency to see hence less bites especially when surface fishing in a fish educated pond.

When you are surface casting to Carp or have dry fly on for trout the bloke next to you gets all the bites because the fish are less sceptical of the line.

With thinner line you gain distance, higher accuracy and less chance the fish will see the line.

Ideally 13lb line can knock over a 20lb carp with the drag/ clutch set at 40-60% of the breaking strain line. So at say 6-8lb the line will pull off the drag.

You can step up to 20lb line if theres snags that Carp are going to drag you into but a greater chance you will lose casting distance and less chance an educated carp will eat you bait.

I fish 10lb braid with a 5 metre 12lb fluorocarbon leader with the clutch set at 60% using lubed uni knots on a small rod and knock over plenty of good 20lb Carp.

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better!

Its also worth knowing and being able to tie diferent knots and being able to tie them proficiently, as stated above a bad knot can and will reduce your line strength by 50%

The reason for using different knots is that in my experience different brands of line respond to different knots and a loss of knot strength can be achieved by using the wrong knot

Try and experiment with different lines and different knots and you will soon see what i mean, the palomar that I use for most of my knots is one of the strongest knots available but when tying a palomar on Stren line the knot strength is more or less non existant

The result is that because I use different makes of line, Maxima Chameleon, Diawa Sensor,Stren all in different diameters and therefore breaking strains I use a range of knots that I find best suits the particular line that I happen to be using