Begginers Carp Rig?

Ian_87

JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP? I'VE BEEN COARSE FISHING FOR A FEW YEARS BUT I HAVE NEVER SPECIFICALLY TARGETED CARP. I HAVE DONE SOME RESEARCH AND FOUND THAT THERE ARE LOTS OF CARP RIGS AROUND (HELICOPTER, RUNNING RIG, CV SAFTEY RIG)IS THERE ONE THAT IS BEST FOR A NOVICE ANGLER TO START WITH? OR IS IT WORTH TRYING TO MASTER ANY OF THE MORE COMLICATED RIGS?

THANKS

IAN

www.prostate-cancer.org.uk - Real Men Know All About It

www.prostate-cancer.org.uk Real Men Know About It

Hi Ian and welcome to AnglersNet.

The rigs you mention are complicated and designed to deal with specific situations. Not worth knowing about as a new carper.

A simple hair rig will serve well in almost all cases. Do you need instructions on tying one of those? I can dig up some links for you if so.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP? I'VE BEEN COARSE FISHING FOR A FEW YEARS BUT I HAVE NEVER SPECIFICALLY TARGETED CARP. I HAVE DONE SOME RESEARCH AND FOUND THAT THERE ARE LOTS OF CARP RIGS AROUND (HELICOPTER, RUNNING RIG, CV SAFTEY RIG)IS THERE ONE THAT IS BEST FOR A NOVICE ANGLER TO START WITH? OR IS IT WORTH TRYING TO MASTER ANY OF THE MORE COMLICATED RIGS?

THANKS

IAN

www.prostate-cancer.org.uk - Real Men Know All About It

Best way (and easiest!) to learn is to start at the begining.Once you have got to grips with the basic rigs you will be in a far better situation to understand the more complicated ones.

In general I dont think there is a "best" rig.Different rigs are designed for different situations so the one that is "best" will vary.

Start off on a nice easy water with a basic rig.Not only does the learning process ultimately catch yopu more and bigger fish but its fun to!

Loads of stuff on here if you look through the articles and various carp related threads.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

THANKS

IAN

These days commercial waters are stuffed so full of carp its hard not to catch them.

I started with a running rig, but at the moment do most of my fishing with a float or feeder. If I use worm I get Perch, if I use sweetcorn i get Carp.

Rigs aren't as important as fishing in the right spot with the right bait will.

Edited by rarepleasures

Tony

Rod, reel, line, hook, Chum mixers, pellet bands to attach mixers to hook. Landing net, forceps and unhooking mat.

Caught stacks with that gear - and not much to carry!

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Do you wana get into bottom fishing then, if so just try to learn to tie your own hair rig . If u cant be bothered :schmoll:

Just go to a tackle shop and buy one, it will come with a swivel, so maybe add a small lead and just then connect the mainline to the swivel.Add maybe a bead also against the swivel and maybe a shot. just to decrease chance tackle. In my words that the simpliest and cheapest rig for ledgering.

On the other hand my personal favorite tactic! is surface fishing in the margins with dogbiscuit.

size 10 hook, bait band, chum mixer. Simple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs:

Hope ive helped

Thank you every one for your suggestions. i think i shall start with a simple hair rig! thanks for the offer of the links Newt but my dad "wyeKnot" and uncle "meatballs" as they are know on AN told me how to tie them a few years ago i would be interested in knowing how to tie some of the other rigs i mentioned though if you ave any links for themit would be appreciated.

thanks

Ian

Ah so young Ian, ah so. You come from good angling stock indeed. Sympathies on loss of your Uncle who, as you will have read on here, was well liked as is your Father.

You probably came directly to the forum section of AnglersNet but if you have a look at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/ and the left side of the page, you will see links to some excellent info & photos.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Ha Ha i do indeed come from good stock unfortuantely i am not up to my dads or my uncles standard. Thank you for your condonlences. i did not know about the page but i shall now have a look thanks for your help.

Ian